• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Editorial Samba at Risk from Wormable Bug Similar to WannaCry: Present on Many NAS boxes

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Samba, the open source implementation of the Windows CIFS file sharing protocol found on Linux and many home NAS-systems, now has its own version of a "WannaCry" grade bug ready to cause users grief. Like WannaCry, Sambas bug enables remote code execution and is totally wormable. Unlike WannaCry however, it does require write access to the SMB share, limiting it's effect unless you run an unauthenticated share on the internet.

So why is this newsworthy at all? It is of course newsworthy in its own right because of bad security practices that run rampant in our industry, I would argue, but that's not really why I posted this, I will confess. Yes, I'm trying to make a point again with that blunt instrument we call "editorial." I do apologize for the inconvenience (not really).

Moving onwards to my point, what I found interesting about this particular report was that the issue was reported by none other than a government agency, and not one known for being exactly a beacon of exploit reporting: The U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

Maybe I'm jumping the gun a bit, just maybe, but could it be that after WannaCry, the government is starting to realize stockpiling exploits is not good for cyber security as a whole, and beginning to report them instead? Certainly interesting to see a government agency report an issue like this that could be used for monitoring people or something. Maybe the impact of WannaCry was to wake our government up a bit in a positive way?

I'm a positive thinking man, but even I find that a bit hard to believe from just one incident. Maybe though, this is the start of something new. I can hope. Let's keep watching and see if this trend continues.

How do you feel about this? Is the stockpiling of exploits a legitimate strategy in cyber-warfare? Should it be stopped? Expanded? If so, how far is too far? And is this evidence of a change of governmental policy in the US? Let us know what you think below.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
It's marked "editorial" as per usual people. It may be more tame than many of my usual ones, but it's still an opinion, don't take any of this as fact or use the medication other than directed. If you do, contact poison control immediately.

Oh, and if you actually run an unprotected share on the internet, update your samba version, and get yourself a frickin' firewall.

It's marked "editorial" as per usual people. It may be more tame than many of my usual ones, but it's still an opinion, don't take any of this as fact or use the medication other than directed. If you do, contact poison control immediately.

Oh, and if you actually run an unprotected share on the internet, update your samba version, and get yourself a frickin' firewall.
This is one of the reasons why I don't let anything connect to the internet unless it NEEDS it to function and then that something does not connect to my house network. Yes, I run two separate networks in my home. One wired with very limited Wifi with no connection to the internet at all, and the other Wifi with a few wired jacks that has very controlled internet access sitting behind two firewalls. This may seem like over-kill but in this age of everyone and their dog trying to steal other peoples internet so they don't get into trouble for their illegal activities, one can not be to careful.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
This may seem like over-kill but in this age of everyone and their dog trying to steal other peoples internet so they don't get into trouble for their illegal activities

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Thanks for the opinion. I do agree that the USG is holding on too tight and doing more harm than good. Collecting exploits that wind up being used more often against its own citizens than on target countries. Call it stupidity when Wikileaks calls out the idiots trying to be secretive and end up showing how abusive they are with those "tools".

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
The big concern here is "unsupported" devices, as there are most like hundreds of thousands, if not millions of devices out there that run samba, but have fallen off the supported devices category from their original manufacturer. It means that they no longer receive software updates, but it doesn't mean the devices are useless. No company is going to go and release patches for devices that dropped off their supported devices list 4-5 years ago. These devices could be things like routers, web cameras and what not, in addition to just NAS appliances, as samba is used on anything that has remote accessible storage, so it's a rather scary thing, as so many of these devices have lax security. What's worse, many of these devices can't have the software updated, as it's an integral part of the firmware and changing samba version can break a lot of things.

System Name my box
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi x470 Ultimate
Cooling NZXT Kraken x72
Memory 2×16GiB @ 3200MHz, some Corsair RGB led meme crap
Video Card(s) AMD [ASUS ROG STRIX] Radeon RX Vega64 [OC Edition]
Storage Samsung 970 Pro && 2× Seagate IronWolf Pro 4TB in Raid 1
Display(s) Asus VG278H + Asus VH226H
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black TG
Audio Device(s) Using optical S/PDIF output lol
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Mouse Razer Naga Epic
Keyboard Keychron Q1
Software Funtoo Linux
Benchmark Scores 217634.24 BogoMIPS
>using the SMB protocol to begin with
gee wiz...

System Name Luna Rossa
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard MSI B550I GAMING EDGE WIFI
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 2×16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3600MHz
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE
Storage Samsung SSD 990 Pro 4TB + Samsung SSD 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) BenQ PD3200U (32" 4K)
Case Sliger S620 (White)
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1800BT
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Pulsar Xlite V2 Wireless
Keyboard Gok 7V (White) + Gateron X + GMK MoDo Light
Software Windows 11 Pro
Do we have a fast, open, easy-to-use protocol to replace SMB/CIFS that doesn't require to set up a server?
SMB 3.x? A lot of devices and most apps only support SMB1/CIFS.
WebDAV is more widely supported, but is not as easy as CIFS and apparently it's too slow.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Do we have a fast, open, easy-to-use protocol to replace SMB/CIFS that doesn't require to set up a server?
SMB 3.x? A lot of devices and most apps only support SMB1/CIFS.
WebDAV is more widely supported, but is not as easy as CIFS and apparently it's too slow.

Not really. I'd hardly call NFS and the like a "replacement" because it's completely unaware of all sorts of Windows specific things.