• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SteelSeries Arctis 7

Inle

Staff member
System Name Efrafa
Processor Intel Core i7-5960X @ 4,3 GHz
Motherboard Asus X99 STRIX Gaming
Cooling NZXT Kraken X52
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32 GB
Video Card(s) Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 OC Edition
Storage ADATA SX8000 NVMe 512 GB + 5x Kingston HyperX Savage 512 GB
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU
Case Corsair Crystal 460X
Audio Device(s) Audiolab M-DAC
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0
Software Battlefield 1
The SteelSeries Arctis 7 is a phenomenal-looking, customizable wireless headset equipped with high-quality 40-millimeter audio drivers capable of delivering stereo and DTS Headphone:X 7.1 Surround Sound. It also offers mind-boggling wireless range and battery life as well as a couple extremely useful features you won't find elsewhere.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:
You forgot to put the "mini-USB" port to the cons...

What the hell they were thinking about !!!, even microUSB now is becoming outdated, wish all things started moving to Type-C already.

Inle

Staff member
System Name Efrafa
Processor Intel Core i7-5960X @ 4,3 GHz
Motherboard Asus X99 STRIX Gaming
Cooling NZXT Kraken X52
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32 GB
Video Card(s) Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 OC Edition
Storage ADATA SX8000 NVMe 512 GB + 5x Kingston HyperX Savage 512 GB
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU
Case Corsair Crystal 460X
Audio Device(s) Audiolab M-DAC
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0
Software Battlefield 1
You forgot to put the "mini-USB" port to the cons...

What the hell they were thinking about !!!, even microUSB now is becoming outdated, wish all things started moving to Type-C already.

Thought about it but ultimately decided against it. Here's why - it's a wireless headset so 90% of its users won't ever use the Mini-USB-to-3.5-mm TRRS cable. You charge it via standard Micro-USB. If you decide to take it on the go, you also have an option of using a standard 3.5-mm cable. Finally, the cable itself is completely rubberized and very sturdy so I don't see it breaking under normal circumstances. The replacement cable that can be bought from SteelSeries isn't ridiculously expensive. Overall, I don't see the existence of their Mini-USB connector being a real problem in practice :toast:

This has been bugging me for years.
Why do people buy "gaming" headphones?
It's not that difficult to find quality headphones from audio/computer brands for less money.

Also, I would like to see a sound quality evaluation in a headphones/microphone review...

Here's why - it's a wireless headset so 90% of its users won't ever use the Mini-USB-to-3.5-mm
(...)
Overall, I don't see the existence of their Mini-USB connector being a real problem in practice :toast:
It's not a question of it being a large problem or not. The question is: WHY?
I'd imagine that headphones that don't work for 144 minutes a day (10%) would raise an eyebrow.

This has been bugging me for years.
Why do people buy "gaming" headphones?
It's not that difficult to find quality headphones from audio/computer brands for less money.

Also, I would like to see a sound quality evaluation in a headphones/microphone review...

It's not a question of it being a large problem or not. The question is: WHY?
I'd imagine that headphones that don't work for 144 minutes a day (10%) would raise an eyebrow.

Horses for courses and each to their own. Show me a pair of headphones that are wireless, have a built in mic, don't require any other equipment to adjust settings such as EQ and include encoding techniques such as DTS or Dolby.

Horses for courses and each to their own. Show me a pair of headphones that are wireless, have a built in mic, don't require any other equipment to adjust settings such as EQ and include encoding techniques such as DTS or Dolby.
OK, you got me here. Wireless + microphone + surround is a formula for a gaming headset. There won't be many alternatives. But if you sacrifice something (wireless being the most obvious luxury), multiple options will emerge.

If you can live without DTS/Dolby, it all gets fairly easy. There is a huge choice of very good professional headsets. For example the AKG HSD271 is fairly often recommended on gaming forums. I won't say much about their usability for gaming, but it's a great combination of high-end audio and a tool for communication. And they're very comfortable (like most AKG products).

But even if you want something gaming-oriented, why SteelSeries? It's not hard to buy something from a manufacturer known for high quality headphones and microphones.
Logitech makes multiple gaming headsets. Some are fairly humble looking (like SteelSeries), others will fit perfectly into an RGB gaming style. Plantronics is another nice option.

OK, you got me here. Wireless + microphone + surround is a formula for a gaming headset. There won't be many alternatives. But if you sacrifice something (wireless being the most obvious luxury), multiple options will emerge.

If you can live without DTS/Dolby, it all gets fairly easy. There is a huge choice of very good professional headsets. For example the AKG HSD271 is fairly often recommended on gaming forums. I won't say much about their usability for gaming, but it's a great combination of high-end audio and a tool for communication. And they're very comfortable (like most AKG products).

But even if you want something gaming-oriented, why SteelSeries? It's not hard to buy something from a manufacturer known for high quality headphones and microphones.
Logitech makes multiple gaming headsets. Some are fairly humble looking (like SteelSeries), others will fit perfectly into an RGB gaming style. Plantronics is another nice option.

I think the point is that people who are looking for this type of product do not want to sacrifice anything otherwise they would be looking at different products.

Headphones are not an easy alternative. You then have to look at if your onboard audio is up to snuff, and it usually isn't. Then there's DACs and amps. Obviously you need to also buy a mic as well. I own a pair of DT770s and some A900x and still game with a tatty pair of Corsair 1500s cause I find the Dolby Headphone really works for me. Getting DH with headphones means buying an Asus Xonar or similar. All in all it's cheaper for people who are using them solely for gaming to just buy a headset.

I've not seen Plantronics mentioned in any 'Top X headset' lists once. Whereas SteelSeries last wireless offering, the Siberia, are highly rated. Logitech's alternative, the g933, seems to have quality issues according to Amazon reviews.

A friend of mine bought the Arctis 7 and although he can't comment on usage yet, as he's not spent enough time with them, he does say they are the prettiest headset he's ever beheld and the manufacturing quality is amazing.

I think the point is that people who are looking for this type of product do not want to sacrifice anything otherwise they would be looking at different products.
Sure, but to be honest: do gamers really need wireless headsets? They decide to stick with wired mice and keyboards. I don't think a cable is a huge limitation in a headset.
So how this looks from my POV: gaming gear manufacturers decided they want a part of headphone pie. They went for an "all-inclusive" design and thanks to heavy marketing they made it become a standard (I mean the things you've listed).
But you know... people have been doing competitive gaming for at least two decades and they didn't have any issues with a cord.
I've not seen Plantronics mentioned in any 'Top X headset' lists once. Whereas SteelSeries last wireless offering, the Siberia, are highly rated. Logitech's alternative, the g933, seems to have quality issues according to Amazon reviews.
That's most likely because audio gear manufacturers aren't as well known to gaming community as they used to be (and maybe not that attractive to millennial geeks).
Just look at what TPU has been reviewing:
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/?category=Headphones&manufacturer=&pp=25&order=date&p=1
Most of these brands are totally unknown in audio business. On the other hand, I bet the only reason why HiFiMAN sends headphones to TPU is it being a very young company and still working on brand recognition.

Yet, majority of headphones reviewed by TPU are far from the gaming ideal you've described. They could be easily compared to something from a known audio equipment manufacturer.
A friend of mine bought the Arctis 7 and although he can't comment on usage yet, as he's not spent enough time with them, he does say they are the prettiest headset he's ever beheld and the manufacturing quality is amazing.
Looks are very subjective, so it's hard to discuss that. I can only say that these headphones are pretty ordinary, to be honest. Nothing special or unique. The best thing I can say is that they don't look like a flashing SciFi helmet (like many gaming headsets do).
And I don't think the manufacturing quality is that great either - it's very similar to traditional headphones costing half as much (stereo, wired, no mic - but most likely with much better sound quality). This just shows how much premium you have to pay for the "gaming" properties.

This is what I call an interesting design (and I assure you the manufacturing is just on a totally different level - it's like Lexus vs Toyota):

Sure, but to be honest: do gamers really need wireless headsets? They decide to stick with wired mice and keyboards. I don't think a cable is a huge limitation in a headset.
So how this looks from my POV: gaming gear manufacturers decided they want a part of headphone pie. They went for an "all-inclusive" design and thanks to heavy marketing they made it become a standard (I mean the things you've listed).
But you know... people have been doing competitive gaming for at least two decades and they didn't have any issues with a cord.

That's most likely because audio gear manufacturers aren't as well known to gaming community as they used to be (and maybe not that attractive to millennial geeks).
Just look at what TPU has been reviewing:
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/?category=Headphones&manufacturer=&pp=25&order=date&p=1
Most of these brands are totally unknown in audio business. On the other hand, I bet the only reason why HiFiMAN sends headphones to TPU is it being a very young company and still working on brand recognition.

Yet, majority of headphones reviewed by TPU are far from the gaming ideal you've described. They could be easily compared to something from a known audio equipment manufacturer.

Looks are very subjective, so it's hard to discuss that. I can only say that these headphones are pretty ordinary, to be honest. Nothing special or unique. The best thing I can say is that they don't look like a flashing SciFi helmet (like many gaming headsets do).
And I don't think the manufacturing quality is that great either - it's very similar to traditional headphones costing half as much (stereo, wired, no mic - but most likely with much better sound quality). This just shows how much premium you have to pay for the "gaming" properties.

This is what I call an interesting design (and I assure you the manufacturing is just on a totally different level - it's like Lexus vs Toyota):

You are still comparing different products which are intended for different purposes. Now you are also accusing one manufacturer as being second class because they choose to make one type of product and not the other.

There are plenty of headsets that are comparable to studio grade headphones.

People want wireless obviously as otherwise there would be no market for them.

Yes, eye of the beholder and all that. But I think ear of the beholder hold true too.

You are still comparing different products which are intended for different purposes. Now you are also accusing one manufacturer as being second class because they choose to make one type of product and not the other.

There are plenty of headsets that are comparable to studio grade headphones.
Maybe, but Arctis 7 clearly aren't. Even in specs, which are typical for $50 headphones. So what are you paying $100 for? BT and Dolby add maybe $20, which means that half of the price is for the "gaming" label. A lot, IMO.
People want wireless obviously as otherwise there would be no market for them.
But what about the lag? Gamers are fighting delays everywhere.
For me this still looks like a trend forced by manufacturers. They couldn't compete on sound quality and they didn't want to compete on build quality (as both are expensive).

ArmEagle

I've been keeping an eye open for a new gaming headset. Currently I still have a Logitech G930. But it badly needs replacement. I've looked at the G933 which also boasted about wired connectivity besides the 7.1 wireless option. My biggest issue with the Logitech G933 is that using the 3.5mm wired option, you need to switch audio devices to whatever audio output that is plugged into.

How does the wired option (with the special mini-USB connector that has a 4 conductor 3.5mm connector at the other end of the cable) and switching to it from/to wireless mode work? Are you supposed to plug that 3.5mm connector into line out of the little box? If so, I guess you're not switching audio devices. Except that you then only have one device and not the two digital ones.

I'd like to know more about that.