• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

YUMI and Tails 3.0

Processor Core i5 3470 (3.20 GHZ)
Cooling Intel OC27vv
Memory 16 GB DDR3 667mhz
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon HD 5670
Storage Seagate - 500GB | 7200RPM | 32MB Cache | Sata-3G
Display(s) BenQ RL2455
Case Dell Tower
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply Corsair 600w
So, I am using YUMI to add another OS to my flash drive. Realizing the disk space was low, I decided to remove two older versions of Tails (1.5 and 2.0). After adding 3.0, it would not start the OS. I am able to get the the menu, but when I press enter to start the OS I get an error: "vmlinux file not found" I checked the directory and it is there. It seems like it is pointing to the correct file. I decided to add 1.5 again and see if it would boot... and it does. Could the ISO be corrupted? Has anyone else ran into this issue? I downloaded the ISO twice and it still comes up with the missing file

The reason I am using YUMI is because it's multi-boot USB stick.

There's something with yumi not passing the full path to the vmlinuz kernel and the bootable initrd.img, you can clearly see that when you press TAB on the Tails bootloader.

Code:
Tails
 /live/vmlinuz initrd=/live/initrd.img boot=live config  apparmor=1 security=apparmor nopersistence noprompt timezone=Etc/UTC block.events_dfl_poll_msecs=1000 splash noautologin module=Tails kaslr slab_nomerge slub_debug=FZP mce=0 vsyscall=none page_poison=1 union=aufs  quiet

Tails (failsafe)
/live/vmlinuz initrd=/live/initrd.img boot=live config  apparmor=1 security=apparmor nopersistence noprompt timezone=Etc/UTC block.events_dfl_poll_msecs=1000 splash noautologin module=Tails kaslr slab_nomerge slub_debug=FZP mce=0 vsyscall=none page_poison=1 union=aufs  noapic noapm nodma nomce nolapic nomodeset nosmp vga=normal

That's weird, because \multiboot\tails-amd64-3.0.1\isolinux\live.cfg has the correct path written in it :

Code:
label live
    menu label Tails
    kernel /multiboot/tails-amd64-3.0.1/live/vmlinuz
    append noprompt live-media-path=/multiboot/tails-amd64-3.0.1/live initrd=/multiboot/tails-amd64-3.0.1/live/initrd.img boot=live config  apparmor=1 security=apparmor nopersistence noprompt timezone=Etc/UTC block.events_dfl_poll_msecs=1000 splash noautologin module=Tails kaslr slab_nomerge slub_debug=FZP mce=0 vsyscall=none page_poison=1 union=aufs  quiet

label livefailsafe
    menu label Tails (Troubleshooting Mode)
    append noprompt live-media-path=/multiboot/tails-amd64-3.0.1/live initrd=/multiboot/tails-amd64-3.0.1/live/initrd.img boot=live config  apparmor=1 security=apparmor nopersistence noprompt timezone=Etc/UTC block.events_dfl_poll_msecs=1000 splash noautologin module=Tails kaslr slab_nomerge slub_debug=FZP mce=0 vsyscall=none page_poison=1 union=aufs  noapic noapm nodma nomce nolapic nomodeset nosmp vga=normal

It's like the path declaration append noprompt live-media-path=/multiboot/tails-amd64-3.0.1/live is ignored.

EDIT: the cfg files read by Tails bootloader are both live.cfg AND live64.cfg, and there's no path prefix in the later. Manually edit it should take care of the incomplete path.

Last edited:
Cooling Intel OC27vv
Memory 16 GB DDR3 667mhz
Display(s) BenQ RL2455
Case Dell Tower
Audio Device(s) On-board
I used YUMI versions—2.0.16-2.0.1.7. When both of them failed, I tried the latest version 2.0.4.9. Still no dice! I'm not sure if it's a UEFI issue or not.

@GoFigureItOut

Success ! Got it running on a non-UEFI laptop.

So, all you have to do is to manually edit \multiboot\tails-amd64-3.0.1\isolinux\live64.cfg

and change the following boot entry menu :

Code:
label live
    menu label Tails
    kernel /live/vmlinuz
    append initrd=/live/initrd.img boot=live config live-media=removable apparmor=1 security=apparmor nopersistence noprompt timezone=Etc/UTC block.events_dfl_poll_msecs=1000 splash noautologin module=Tails kaslr slab_nomerge slub_debug=FZP mce=0 vsyscall=none page_poison=1 union=aufs  quiet

becomes :

Code:
label live
    menu label Tails
    append noprompt live-media-path=/multiboot/tails-amd64-3.0.1/live initrd=/multiboot/tails-amd64-3.0.1/live/initrd.img boot=live config live-media=removable apparmor=1 security=apparmor nopersistence noprompt timezone=Etc/UTC block.events_dfl_poll_msecs=1000 splash noautologin module=Tails kaslr slab_nomerge slub_debug=FZP mce=0 vsyscall=none page_poison=1 union=aufs  quiet

Cooling Intel OC27vv
Memory 16 GB DDR3 667mhz
Display(s) BenQ RL2455
Case Dell Tower
Audio Device(s) On-board
Big thanks to you! You sir, are a genius! I was looking at the wrong live.cfg file.

Works like a charm

bomhomdu

tried this to no avail. i am trying to use tails 3.3 on yumi (I did edit the path in the code you posted to reflect using 3.3) Tails just hangs on the tails splash and cycles round the 4 second countdown forever. I havent been able to use tails on yumi since v 3

Last edited: