• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

USB power surge issues

System Name Eric's Battlestation
Processor Core i7 6700k
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170X-Gaming 7
Cooling Fractal Design Celsius S24
Memory Patriot Viper Steel Series DDR4 32GB 3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Mech 6750 XT
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB, Intel 660p 2TB
Display(s) Gigabyte M27Q
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Power Supply EVGA G2-XR 80 Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Steelseries Rival 3
Keyboard Logitech G810
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Hey everyone, I want some advice regarding the problem above. Today and a few other times I've had my keyboard and mouse go unresponsive on me. Today, I was able to get the functionality back without a restart and getting to the Windows home screen revealed to me that there is a USB power surge and that I need to disconnect my peripherals or restart. Naturally, I restarted and everything worked again. Now I only have my mouse, keyboard, flash drive, Wi-Fi adapter and headphones connected via USB. I haven't added anything new to the USB ports recently, but I did install my Vega 56 about a week ago. A quick Google search says maybe one of my peripherals are dying, but as far as I can tell they are fine. I will going forward disconnect my headphones and flash drive to see if the problem goes away. However, if anyone around here has better advice or experienced this issue and solved it, I'm all ears (well eyes in this case.)

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration
I bought a usb dongle volt meter to check each socket when my mice kept dying. It was only a couple of quid and has given consistent results on the pcs i have tested it on.

Cant add a link cos im on my phone...sorry

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Unplug everything by keyboard and mouse

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Unplug everything by keyboard and mouse
I agree. Then run your other devices via a self-powered (comes with own power supply) USB hub.

You might also want to check your computer's power supply. The best way is to swap in a known good supply. Otherwise, you can check your voltages with HWiNFO64 to make sure they are well within the allowed ±5% tolerances. Short of a spare supply, you might check out a PSU Tester. Just ensure it has an actual voltage read out. Neither the tester or hardware monitoring software are conclusive PSU testers, but they are still useful.

Last, surges and spikes from the line voltage can be passed through to connected devices. Consider a "good" UPS with AVR. I also recommend every home and every computer user have access to a AC Outlet Tester to ensure your outlet is properly wired and grounded. I recommend one with a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupt) indicator as it can be used to test bathroom and kitchen outlets too. These testers can be found for your type and voltage outlet, foreign or domestic, (like this one for the UK) at most home improvement stores, or even the electrical department at Wal-Mart. Use it to test all the outlets in the house and if a fault is shown, have it fixed by a qualified electrician.