• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GIGABYTE Intros Aorus GTX 1080 Gaming Box

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
GIGABYTE today rolled out the Aorus GTX 1080 Gaming Box, an external graphics solution built on the same platform as the company's GTX 1070 Gaming Box, but taking advantage of its new GeForce GTX 1080 Mini graphics card, which is the world's most compact card based on this chip. The enclosure powers the card with an 80 Plus Gold-certified 450W PSU. It connects to the host machine using 40 Gbps Thunderbolt 3, and puts out downstream connectivity that includes four 5 Gbps USB 3.0 ports, from which one is a quick-charge port.

Under the hood, the GeForce GTX 1080 graphics card ticks at reference clocks out of the box, but has a software-enabled "OC Mode" which spools them up to 1632/1771 MHz (core/boost). The memory is clocked at 10 GHz (GDDR5X-effective). Display outputs include three DisplayPort 1.4 and one each of HDMI 2.0 and dual-link DVI-D. The enclosure is studded with RGB multi-color LEDs, which you control using the included GIGABYTE RGB Fusion software. The enclosure is expected to be priced around USD $750.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

It is really great to see Gigabyte doing this, it is a step towards smaller eGPU solutions that are actually portable. I feel the current market is saturated by eGPU products that are mainly meant to be graphics docks for laptops, not something to lug around to get more gaming juice on the go. Hopefully we will se products with mobile GPUs in a not too distant future.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
It is really great to see Gigabyte doing this, it is a step towards smaller eGPU solutions that are actually portable. I feel the current market is saturated by eGPU products that are mainly meant to be graphics docks for laptops, not something to lug around to get more gaming juice on the go. Hopefully we will se products with mobile GPUs in a not too distant future.

eGPUs are not meant to be lugged around. If you are going to lug around a heavy box, why not just buy a new gaming laptop in the first place?

And you want a GPU box with an mobile eGPU? they already make it. Its called gaming laptops. Making a mobile eGPU would be a catastrophic waste of time and money given how tiny that market niche is.

eGPUs are not meant to be lugged around. If you are going to lug around a heavy box, why not just buy a new gaming laptop in the first place?

And you want a GPU box with an mobile eGPU? they already make it. Its called gaming laptops. Making a mobile eGPU would be a catastrophic waste of time and money given how tiny that market niche is.

I'm not always going to game when on the go. Even though gaming laptops have become more compact in the recent years I still prefer something lighter with Intel graphics for everyday use. Gaming is only a small percentage of the total use, as I have a solid gaming desktop at home, but for the times I am visiting others it would be nice to boost the GPU power of the laptop to be able to play recent multiplayer games.

Why the hostile tone by the way? People have different use cases, and given that the market is relatively new I think there is a a chance for portable products to materialise. The concept itself is not so far-fetched, I remember seeing this being mentioned as a possibility a few years back:
https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2015/08/...rn-a-puny-laptop-into-a-graphical-powerhouse/

I'm not always going to game when on the go. Even though gaming laptops have become more compact in the recent years I still prefer something lighter with Intel graphics for everyday use. Gaming is only a small percentage of the total use, as I have a solid gaming desktop at home, but for the times I am visiting others it would be nice to boost the GPU power of the laptop to be able to play recent multiplayer games.

Why the hostile tone by the way? People have different use cases, and given that the market is relatively new I think there is a a chance for portable products to materialise. The concept itself is not so far-fetched, I remember seeing this being mentioned as a possibility a few years back:
https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2015/08/...rn-a-puny-laptop-into-a-graphical-powerhouse/

Agreed, this is also exactly my case. I want to use lightweight-long-lasting-battery ultrabook for work, then plug in egpu for gaming on the go. Gaming laptops are in different category and use case.

Anyway, back to topic, I think this box have flaw in thermal perfromance. There is just no exhaust for the hot air to go outside. They should put grills on top the box. SFF cases also have this problem.