• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HyperX Cloud Alpha

Inle

Staff member
System Name Efrafa
Processor Intel Core i7-5960X @ 4,3 GHz
Motherboard Asus X99 STRIX Gaming
Cooling NZXT Kraken X52
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32 GB
Video Card(s) Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 OC Edition
Storage ADATA SX8000 NVMe 512 GB + 5x Kingston HyperX Savage 512 GB
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU
Case Corsair Crystal 460X
Audio Device(s) Audiolab M-DAC
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0
Software Battlefield 1
The HyperX Cloud Alpha has the aesthetics and build quality of the Cloud Gaming II, the microphone and connectivity of the Cloud Gaming, but also a brand-new dual chamber speaker driver design. Thanks to its amazing audio performance, it's the new reference gaming headset in the $100 price bracket.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 925
Motherboard Asus M4A78LT-M
Cooling Ice Hammer IH-4***
Memory 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair
Video Card(s) Asus HD7870 2GB
Storage 500GB SATAII Samsung | 500GB SATAII Seagate
Display(s) 23" LG 23EA63V-P
Case Thermaltake V3 Black Edition
Audio Device(s) VIA VT1708S
Power Supply Corsair TX650W
Software Windows 10 x64
What is "aggressive gaming aesthetics"? The headphones are plain looking, aside from HyperX branding.

Processor AMD Ryzen R5 1600 @ 3.8GHz
Motherboard MSI Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5 with AM4 Kit
Memory 2x 8GB Kingston HyperX @ 3000MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1070
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, 500GB
Display(s) Dell S2417DG
Case Fractal Design Define C TG
Power Supply be quiet! Dark power Pro 11 550W
Mouse Zowie FK-1
Keyboard MSI GK-701 RGB
"Microphone mute switch and volume dial would be better off on the ear cups instead of on the in-line remote control"

Tbh, I very much prefere this way of mute/sound control. I dont want fiddle around on my headset, pushing it around trying to find the right button and bumping against the microphone which would annoy my mates on discord. With the In-line control its fast and simple to use, i dont get your point there.

System Name #projectEVO v4
Processor AMD R9 3950X
Motherboard ASUS X570 Crosshair Impact
Cooling EK Supremacy EVO CPU, Alphacool Monsta 240, Alphacool UT60 360, Aquacomputer Aqauero 6X
Memory GSkills Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4 CL16 @3600MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 970 500GB NVME M.2, Seagate 4TB 7200rpm HDD (x2)
Display(s) Samsung G9 Odyssey 49" Ultrawide @240hz | ASUS MG279Q 1440P @144hz | HTC VIVE
Case CaseLabs Mercury S5
Audio Device(s) Marantz PM7000N | Schitt Stack UBER | Beyerdynamic DT1990 | Sennheiser HD6XX | HiFi Man HE4XX
Power Supply EVGA 1600 Watt T2
Mouse HyperX Haste, Logi GroX Superlight, Logi GPro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Drop ALT , HHKB Pro 2, RealForce Topre 104UB, Topre Realforce RGB
Software Windows 10 PRO
What is "aggressive gaming aesthetics"? The headphones are plain looking, aside from HyperX branding.

Probably talking about tribal forks securing the ear cups. I prefer the original Beyerdynamics design myself along with a subtle HyperX branding and this would look and perform outstanding. I have these and they do sound good as a gaming headset.

"Microphone mute switch and volume dial would be better off on the ear cups instead of on the in-line remote control"

Tbh, I very much prefere this way of mute/sound control. I dont want fiddle around on my headset, pushing it around trying to find the right button and bumping against the microphone which would annoy my mates on discord. With the In-line control its fast and simple to use, i dont get your point there.

Same. I have the Stingers also and it's a little annoying to adjust the volume on the earcup. It's so much more convenient being in-line.

Inle

Staff member
System Name Efrafa
Cooling NZXT Kraken X52
Software Battlefield 1

I was referring to the perforated red metal frame, red stitching on the headband and such. I took the Cloud Alpha outside and used them in public transport, a couple of people stared at them. That never happened i.e. with the SteelSeries Arctis 3 and the Roccat Cross :D

Inle

Staff member
System Name Efrafa
Cooling NZXT Kraken X52
Software Battlefield 1

When the ear cup controls are implemented properly, you definitely won't push your headset around and bump against the microphone. You'll know exactly where the dials/buttons are at all times and after getting used to their position (about 2 days of usage, from my experience), it will become easier and much more convenient to use that, instead to look for the in-line remote control down the wire. Most in-line remote controls come with no clothes clip so they move around while gaming/shifting body positions. I can almost never find it right away, without looking down or moving my fingers down the wire.

I actually also preferred the in-line controls over the ear cup ones. However, then the SteelSeries Arctis 7 and Sennheiser GSP 301 came along and showed me how terrific they can be when done properly. There's no going back after that :)

System Name Klean
Processor Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.8GHz
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix B350-F
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 3
Memory 16GB (2x8GB) GSkill Rispjaws V 3066Mhz CL15 1T
Video Card(s) Saphire Pulse RX 560 4GB
Storage Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB - Western Digital Elements 2TB
Display(s) LG 29UM59-P - Freesync 21:9
Case Raijintek Thetis Window (Tempered Glass)
Audio Device(s) SupremeFX S1220
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus 550 Gold
Mouse A4Tech Bloody V5
Keyboard Alfawise V1 Mechanical
Software Windows 10
Can't seem to make a final decision on which one to get... these or the Sennheiser GSP 301
From the review these look like something from another planet compared to everything else.
In Portugal the Sennheiser GSP 301 can be had for abour 70€ while the HyperX Cloud Alpha are not for sale yet and might be tagged at a 100€ for sure.
Is the Alpha worth 30€ more?

Give me a hand here guys :D

Inle

Staff member
System Name Efrafa
Cooling NZXT Kraken X52
Software Battlefield 1
Can't seem to make a final decision on which one to get... these or the Sennheiser GSP 301
From the review these look like something from another planet compared to everything else.
In Portugal the Sennheiser GSP 301 can be had for abour 70€ while the HyperX Cloud Alpha are not for sale yet and might be tagged at a 100€ for sure.
Is the Alpha worth 30€ more?

Give me a hand here guys :D

Having tested both, I have to say that I'd go with the Cloud Alpha after all, even with it being €30 more expensive. The GSP 301 has a better microphone, but the Cloud Alpha has more luxurious build quality, better sound and more versatility (you can use it outdoors and upgrade the microphone later on, if you won't be 100% happy with it - check out my review to see how it works with the V-Moda BoomPro upgrade).

Ps4racer

Hi I see people talking about mute button and volume on the cord should be on top of the headset,, I say no I think it's perfect some people have to realize some people have bad arms for handicapped, this works perfectly for me please do not change this

System Name My Box
Processor Core I7 4790
Motherboard Asrock Z97 Anniversary
Cooling Alpenfohn Ben Nevis
Memory 16 GB DDR3 1600, Dual channel
Video Card(s) Zotac GeForce GTX 970 AMP! Omega Core Edition
Storage SSD OCZ Arc 120 GB, WD Blue 1 TB, WD Blue 1 TB
Display(s) HP Pavilion 27xi IPS LED Backlit
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Sabre 24/96 DAC
Power Supply LDLC XT-650P 80+ Platinum
Mouse A4 Tech Basic
Keyboard Microsoft Comfort Curve
Software Win 10 Pro X64
After reading numerous reviews that praised the sound quality of these cans, I took the plunge and got a pair when they were on sale (65 euro which is about 78 USD).

I must say they're nothing to write home about. Sure, the build quality and the comfort are great, but sound-wise they're mediocre to my ears. The bass is way overemphasized, mids are recessed and pretty much drowned, highs are there, but again, too recessed.

I've compared them to the Superlux HD 330 (150 Ohm headphones) that I own. Setup is PC--->Roland Mobile UA-M10 external DAC (300 USD interface, USB powered)---> headphones. The interface has a top of the line DAC chip and headphone preamps and is able to easily drive even 600 Ohm headphones.

The Superluxes just kick their ass in every category. Sound is fuller, bass is deeper without breaking a sweat, highs are incomparably better, and mids are more forward. It's just a no-contest, plain and simple. If you want gaming AND the occasional music track, sure, I can recommend the Cloud Alphas. If you think of getting them exclusively for music listening, look elsewhere. The HD 330s go for about 40 USD and are just in another league altogether.

Inle

Staff member
System Name Efrafa
Cooling NZXT Kraken X52
Software Battlefield 1
After reading numerous reviews that praised the sound quality of these cans, I took the plunge and got a pair when they were on sale (65 euro which is about 78 USD).

I must say they're nothing to write home about. Sure, the build quality and the comfort are great, but sound-wise they're mediocre to my ears. The bass is way overemphasized, mids are recessed and pretty much drowned, highs are there, but again, too recessed.

That's quite odd, your impressions are completely out of line with mine. I actually kept the Cloud Alphas and went to listen to them again just now, to hear them again long after my review and see if my impressions changed. They didn't. If I was writing the review today, I'd describe their sound exactly the same. The mids and highs are in no way drowned out or recessed. I get nice imaging and excellent spatial positioning, which certainly wouldn't be the case if the mid-range wasn't clear and detailed.

I'm not familiar with your DAC so I don't know if it can impact the sound to such extent. I didn't try the Superlux products either, although I do hear great stuff about them. They're on my 'to listen' list :)

System Name Top notch gaming PC - best HW as of 2019-2021 (Not the name of course)
Processor i9-9900ks @ 5.2 GHz
Motherboard AsRock Phantom gaming 9
Cooling Arctic Freezer ii 280
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident z B die (out the box 17-19-19-2c 3,600MHz) Of course I have OCed above that.
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG strix 3080ti gaming OC 450w 1815 Mhz boost out the box.
Storage A lot of Samsung SSDs. Now Nvme 970 boot drive.
Display(s) Acer XB27HU 1440p and AOC 273 27" new gaming monitor 1440p
Case Many. Main PC Thermal take full tower tt v71 Tempered glass
Audio Device(s) ALC1200 plus many cans. Now using EPOS external GSX 1000 2nd edition, Sound card. VZR spatial cans
Power Supply Seasonic Gold FX 850
Mouse G703 Logitech
Keyboard A nice one.
Software Mostly games - Steam all block busters. VLC. F@H, Various Benches (Fires trike adv etc.)
Benchmark Scores 3D MK adv, Fire strike - Time spy. PC still ranks as high end gaming 2023, (but HW is approx 2020)
I use the cloud 2 for gaming. They are good for that, and cheap. But not for audiophiles obviously. They are only really suitable for gaming, but they do that well considering the price.
I wonder what (except for looks) are different with Alpha. Would like to hear a direct comparison.
Due to the pure sales talk ambiguity, "aggressive gaming aesthetics" makes me think they would be rather similar?