• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ballistix Tactical Tracer 2666 MHz DDR4

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Ballistix has finally released their long-anticipated DDR4 Tracer memory, a line-up of high-performance LED-lit memory that has years upon years of history within enthusiast circles. We see if this latest iteration of Ballistix Tactical Tracer memory lives up to expectations.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:
Disappointed as they dont seem to be activity lights, which is why I liked and own the previous Tracers (and Corsair XMS2 before that) as they werent just neato, but a useful diagnostic aid on occasion.

That said, these are very attractive, I'd like to see how far they can be pushed.

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
Very pretty RGB RAM indeed.

Would it be possible to do an AMD platform test along with Intel HEDT platform test?

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Very pretty RGB RAM indeed.

Would it be possible to do an AMD platform test along with Intel HEDT platform test?
For what purpose? I did test on X399, as mentioned in the review. They work just the same, even in clocking ability. spent lots of time with X399 and memory clocking...:

If you are talking about more reviews for that platform specifically and memory, when, obviously I've got stuff in the works. ;)

I LOVED their DDR3 kits. So much so I replaced my perfectly good higher MHz RAM just to get their Tracers. I love blinkenlights. I loved that they showed activity in various ways rather than just pure show. I have two rigs with their kits. I'm so disappointed that although well done that these don't have the same activity light function!!! That was the major thing that no other kit did! Argh!

Can you run the ram stable in 1T instead of 2T?
So the RGB doesn't mean activity? Just silly bling bling?

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Do they make any sticks that OC this well but lack the LEDs and unnecessary heatspreaders?

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Processor Intel Core i5 4590
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97x Gaming 3
Cooling Intel Stock Cooler
Memory 8GiB(2x4GiB) DDR3-1600 [800MHz]
Video Card(s) XFX RX 560D 4GiB
Storage Transcend SSD370S 128GB; Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung S20D300 20" 768p TN
Case Cooler Master MasterBox E501L
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Corsair VS450
Mouse A4Tech N-70FX
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores BaseMark GPU : 250 Point in HD 4600
Good to see 1.2V JEDEC 2666MHz RAM kit. But when we will see 2933/3200 1.2V JEDEC RAM?

Aren't they the same thing?
Nope. In the past (the old Tracer), if there's heavy ram usage, the led blinks in colors (imagine sth like audio visual bars). When the pc is idle, the light remains static or minimal blinking. If the new Tracer RGB blinks / color cycles like crazy while the pc is idling, that is not activity indication.

Do they make any sticks that OC this well but lack the LEDs and unnecessary heatspreaders?

LOL... your kidding right ? LED 's are the main strong selling point of any hardware today , don't you know by now nothing else under that matters ?? heat sinks ? I can live with them as long as there not crazy iconic useless afro picks tat I can add or remove with out removing the cpu cooler to do so ,ect..

its not what you get on your display to look at its all about looking on what you got in your case , get with the times man [jokingly said ]

I prefer what I gat on my display and parts that have service support and function as there strong selling points , but today it that having that 200 way user programmable RBG LED's is all they look at in something .

as far as I care my case and its insides can look like hammered cat crap as long as whats on the monitor is kicking A$$ ..lol

seems like in these reviews they would remove the heatsink to view the IC's used like they do in a gpu review?? a real closer look

cadaveca

My name is Dave
seems like in these reviews they would remove the heatsink to view the IC's used like they do in a gpu review?? a real closer look
No, it doesn't seem that way. I'm not into giving readers false information... memory companies will regularly change which IC are used in sticks. So anyone showing what's under the hood, if the memory does not disclose IC type, is simply giving you info that can change over time in order to look like they know what they are doing, when really it shows that they don't.

Some brands ask me directly to not disclose IC info in reviews because of this. They tend to be the most honest brands.

Some brands disclose IC type directly on the packaging. It can be via serial number scheme, or direct claims of things like "Samsung B-Die".

This has all been seen on these pages.

Even Ballistix sticks, who are owned by Micron, who makes memory chips, sometimes have Samsung ICs. The ICs used in most sticks are a direct result of availability, not design for speed.

When there is something relevant to be gleaned by IC used in a stick I'll give the info. But just ripping memory apart to show what ICs are used is never a good idea and is not something I will ever do. I will, however, remove screws from heatsinks to show heatsink design, if the heatsink allows for it.

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
I will, however, remove screws from heatsinks to show heatsink design, if the heatsink allows for it.

You can read the IC maker in extended SPD info usually too Dave...

We miss you at discord too :D

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Nope. In the past (the old Tracer), if there's heavy ram usage, the led blinks in colors (imagine sth like audio visual bars). When the pc is idle, the light remains static or minimal blinking. If the new Tracer RGB blinks / color cycles like crazy while the pc is idling, that is not activity indication.

No I get that, but that's a pretty useless feature in RAM, and if we're being honest was only implemented as bling. I mean, do you spend a lot of time checking RAM usage by staring in your case?

No, it doesn't seem that way. I'm not into giving readers false information... memory companies will regularly change which IC are used in sticks. So anyone showing what's under the hood, if the memory does not disclose IC type, is simply giving you info that can change over time in order to look like they know what they are doing, when really it shows that they don't.

Doesn't that mean overclocking results and vary pretty greatly depending on what ICs are used? So they could use pretty good ICs for the first run, and review samples, to give good reviews for overclocking results, then switch to less capable ICs for later runs?

Remember when a few SSD manufacturers switched out the chips used on some of their budget drives resulting in slightly less performance than the reviews got, but still performed at the rated speeds, and people absolutely lost their minds and called for boycotts on entire manufacturers because of it? Why doesn't this happen with RAM?

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Doesn't that mean overclocking results and vary pretty greatly depending on what ICs are used? So they could use pretty good ICs for the first run, and review samples, to give good reviews for overclocking results, then switch to less capable ICs for later runs?

You bet it does. And ues, that has most definitely happened in the past for sure, and there are several examples of this that I could quote here if I chose to. It is because of this that not every memory review I do includes overclocking results.

Remember when a few SSD manufacturers switched out the chips used on some of their budget drives resulting in slightly less performance than the reviews got, but still performed at the rated speeds, and people absolutely lost their minds and called for boycotts on entire manufacturers because of it? Why doesn't this happen with RAM?

Actually it does; however ram OEMs are pretty good at keeping this a non-issue. Besides which, very few people are into overclocking ram like I ram these days, because the actual performance benefits are small. There is one brand that stands out form the others in regards to this, and as you might surmise, the same brand that has these sorts of issues with SSDs also does with ram at times. It's just that because of how the memory market works, when OEMs tend to get new chips and swap out lines these days, it doesn't result in DIMMs that clock worse. DDR4 hasn't been subject to this as of yet that I have seen.

I mean, do you spend a lot of time checking RAM usage by staring in your case?

Yes, I do actually look at my case a lot. If you don't care or don't have a window, etc, you're not going to get such RAM kits regardless. There's PLENTY of options already out there.

Some brands ask me directly to not disclose IC info in reviews because of this. They tend to be the most honest brands.

Some brands disclose IC type directly on the packaging. It can be via serial number scheme, or direct claims of things like "Samsung B-Die".

This has all been seen on these pages.

Even Ballistix sticks, who are owned by Micron, who makes memory chips, sometimes have Samsung ICs. The ICs used in most sticks are a direct result of availability, not design for speed.

When there is something relevant to be gleaned by IC used in a stick I'll give the info. But just ripping memory apart to show what ICs are used is never a good idea and is not something I will ever do. I will, however, remove screws from heatsinks to show heatsink design, if the heatsink allows for it.

'' I'm not into giving readers false information... memory companies will regularly change which IC are used in sticks''

ya, that is true and I understand on that changing the IC's over time you could allways put a ''subject to change at any moment '' clause next to that .. so really the review may not even be on these sticks I buy today anyway . so more sales pitch .

''Some brands ask me directly to not disclose IC info in reviews because of this. They tend to be the most honest brands''

kinda makes you wonder why ?? are they ashamed ? they tell you trade secret . they all know they all bid on the same batches . then it s not like they could go buy the memory and check it all out anyway to see what your up to . lol....

lets face it say micron runs a batch and these manufactures all get a sample data / spec sheet on the batch run [lets say 1 million units / ic's ] they all bid . highest bidder wins that lot . then its to there back ally factory in china that cranks out a stick for 8 bucks a stick and sold to you for 60 bucks a stick ..

in the end you but this stuff and all you do is hope it works as expected and not failing and returning or back to newegg . if you look at any brand [I still prefer to stick with known name branded ] and you want ddr3 1866 2x8gb kit that fits in your system its more who offers the best price at the time you add to cart . then you buy you try and hope it don't make you cry .

use to be micron was what you did not want to get over Samsung or Hynix but now with the shortage ' [lol..] seem what there all falling back to like the 10 series GPU's micron seems to be the preferred memory in them over the rest [opinion] .

your reviews are nice and I like them you do a good job . but like here I go buy this memory to what you said I may not even get the memory that was based on the review in the end anyway .. just with in spec at most . , right ?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Why is this given a 9.9 score? $440? I know its 32GB but still, high timings... my Team Dark Pro has an amazing heatsink on it, and does 3200 14-14-14-31 1t at 1.370v and 3800 16-16-16-36 1t 400trf and 16000 at 1.385v (and it does give me some nice benchmark improvements)

total price for 2x8gb was $187 2-3 months ago. no RGB... but I'd rather have the amazing heatsink and speed personally.

there you go, its all about the end result performance and reliability at the best prices offered that day you buy with any brand . the only brand I had to do a RMA on was g-skill that failed after 3 years of use and they quickly replaced with out a issue took 3 days 2 to get the bad sticks to them and one they had the new ones back here . I figured a good solid week at best .

''Why is this given a 9.9 score? $440? '' well you know how memory prices are today 400 bucks 2 weeks form now it could be 299 or 600 ? last memory I got was 2x8's for 80 bucks now there 130

Space Lynx

Astronaut
''Why is this given a 9.9 score? $440? '' well you know how memory prices are today 400 bucks 2 weeks form now it could be 299 or 600 ? last memory I got was 2x8's for 80 bucks now there 130
yeah and I got mine for $187 2-3 months ago when prices were at their highest. it was a lightning sale on Newegg to be fair, so your point is taken, still if your patient there are sales on good ram.

ya I try to keep a parts list of what I may need and follow pricing and use that pc parts picker price chart to see how it fluctuate in price over there time frames .

the only times I get bit by price is when I need a part quick due to it failed and I don't have a replacement to wing it on till a good deal pops up . between 3 builds [ primary and 2 hand me down rigs ] and a junk box that's rare. I tend to have something to keep me going some how to wait it out

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
your reviews are nice and I like them you do a good job . but like here I go buy this memory to what you said I may not even get the memory that was based on the review in the end anyway .. just with in spec at most . , right ?

It is possible, yes, but also not very likely these days, as I said earlier.

When it comes to memory chips, only a few companies make them. Samsung, Micron, Hynix, etc...

Each company only makes so many parts. They also have a limited capacity right now. All DDR4 ICs are pretty good at clocking, and what you see reported in this review is something that pretty much an memory IC sold right now is capable of. There are only chips that do more. That's why I chose to include overclocking results. I do not normally.

You'll also note that there are no benchmarks here. That's not because the performance isn't important... it is, but we have covered this specific subject already in a specific way; if you want the best DDR4 results, you get that 3200 MHz C14 sticks. Had these sticks had ICs capable of doing those clocks and timings, they would have got a 10/10. It's a simple night and day situation when it comes to memory overclocking.

We have that performance analysis I am referring to here:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews...e_Lake_Memory_Performance_Benchmark_Analysis/

Although this review is using 8700K, the same results are generally seen on all platforms.

We are at a critical stage right now. All current platforms from all brands support DDR4-2666 out of the box, but few sticks have a default 2666 MHz profile. The majority are 2133 MHz. So what you get out fo these sticks, since they seem to use basic memory ICs, and do offer expected performance levels for that speed, what you buy will give you what you see in this review. You may not get the same overclocks.. you might get a little less or a little more. That's just how overclocking is for everything.

AS to whether Ballisitix sent me sticks that perform better than others.. well, let me tell you something... after nearly a decade of doing this, these brands should know by now htat if that happens, I will be one of the first to point it out.

AS to "trade secrets", no I do not get those. Nobody does. ICs used are not disclosed on purpose so that people do not get false hope.

Micron ICs have improved. Some will top 4000 MHz.

I'll just say, you seem rather pessimistic about all of it. That's cool if that's how you feel, but you know, I don't look at life that way.

I'm not sure about their other sticks right now other than the ones I have already reviewed. We'll see if their generic sticks clock similar... we both know they have them, but do they clock? I dunno...

all that with the changing IC's and all is why in my opinion you never mix memory or add to down the road the kit is factory matched with ic's used from a batch run . even if you get the same brand and part number / speced sticks later on to add that may not play well or be un stable / or a lot of bios tinkering to make them .

buy what you want and need right the first time , and if you for any reason think you may need more just go and get it right then and there in a full factory matched kit [opinion]

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
I'm not sure about their other sticks right now other than the ones I have already reviewed. We'll see if their generic sticks clock similar... we both know they have them, but do they clock? I dunno...

I've always been of the opinion that heatspreaders on RAM do nothing because the ICs don't get hot enough to require them... in fact, they might actually be detrimental to performance/longevity because they don't allow air to circulate over the ICs. IMO, an article proving or disproving this hypothesis would be really useful - i.e. get a kit of RAM with heatspreaders, put a temperature probe as close to one of the ICs as possible, run some benchmarks and overclocking, then remove the heatspreaders and repeat the tests.

I'd be willing to do such a test myself, but I don't have a DDR4 system. :(