• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Corsair HS70 Wireless 7.1

Inle

Staff member
System Name Efrafa
Processor Intel Core i7-5960X @ 4,3 GHz
Motherboard Asus X99 STRIX Gaming
Cooling NZXT Kraken X52
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32 GB
Video Card(s) Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 OC Edition
Storage ADATA SX8000 NVMe 512 GB + 5x Kingston HyperX Savage 512 GB
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU
Case Corsair Crystal 460X
Audio Device(s) Audiolab M-DAC
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0
Software Battlefield 1
With a price tag of $90, the freshly-launched Corsair HS70 Wireless just became one of the least expensive brand-name wireless gaming headsets on the market. It's based on the wired HS50, so let's find out what was gained and lost after its wire got cut.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Is the hissing maybe due to a defective sample? I would've checked with Corsair to see if this is a known issue.

Apart from that, this headset is perfect for me. Corsair has literally cut out everything unnecessary (RGB, audio jack) to deliver a headset that just does what a headset needs to do. I remain unimpressed that they ask nearly double the price of the HS50 simply for the privilege of not being tethered to your PC, but apart from that, massive kudos to Corsair - bloody well done for answering the prayers of true PC enthusiasts who just want kit that works and don't want to pay out the wazoo for it.

Inle

Staff member
System Name Efrafa
Cooling NZXT Kraken X52
Software Battlefield 1
Is the hissing maybe due to a defective sample? I would've checked with Corsair to see if this is a known issue.

No, I went through a grand total of three samples, just to make sure. I checked a couple of other HS70 Wireless reviews and nobody mentions the hissing, which only goes to show that it isn't easy to pick up (but it's definitely there). For a user that's not super sensitive to stuff like that, it isn't an issue at all. And even those that are will only be able to hear it occasionally, as any sounds, except the most quiet ones, mask it completely. When nothing's playing (no input is received by the headphones), the hiss isn't hearable at all, the HS70 Wireless is dead silent.

System Name Firelance.
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
No, I went through a grand total of three samples, just to make sure. I checked a couple of other HS70 Wireless reviews and nobody mentions the hissing, which only goes to show that it isn't easy to pick up (but it's definitely there). For a user that's not super sensitive to stuff like that, it isn't an issue at all. And even those that are will only be able to hear it occasionally, as any sounds, except the most quiet ones, mask it completely. When nothing's playing (no input is received by the headphones), the hiss isn't hearable at all, the HS70 Wireless is dead silent.

I was pretty sure you'd done due diligence (your reviews are awesomely thorough BTW), but it can't hurt to let Corsair know about the hissing if you haven't already done so. Since it's present in all your samples, it "sounds" like maybe a driver bug on their side.

As for the Corsair Utility Engine... all I'll say about it is that it's a 200+MB download that consumes much more disk space than that when installed, and all I currently use it for is disabling the RGB on my Void Wireless. If Corsair could cut down on its bloat, that would be swell. Their "replacement", iCUE, is even worse (search their forums to see what I mean).

Inle

Staff member
System Name Efrafa
Cooling NZXT Kraken X52
Software Battlefield 1
I was pretty sure you'd done due diligence (your reviews are awesomely thorough BTW), but it can't hurt to let Corsair know about the hissing if you haven't already done so. Since it's present in all your samples, it "sounds" like maybe a driver bug on their side.

Thank you for your kind words, I'm so happy to hear that you like my work!

Corsair was, of course, contacted regarding the issue :) Additional samples have been sent to me as a result of that. The final sample, the one that eventually became the retail one (that's the one I reviewed), was by far the best, to a point where I can comfortably recommend the HS70 Wireless to anyone looking for a wireless gaming headset that won't break the bank. I definitely wouldn't give the "Great Value" award to the first samples/iterations of this headset though :) It was a nice case of manufacturer listening to reviewer's feedback and improving the product accordingly before releasing it, instead of simply launching it regardless of everything. Kudos to Corsair for taking that approach, as far as I'm concerned.

As for CUE, I'm with you on that one. It's far too clunky for what it is. The features are there, but it's a pain in the butt to utilize them through the driver. The Void Pro lineup fares better in this regard, simply because its jog-dial allows you to use all of the features of the headset without having to open the CUE after the initial setup.

Last edited:
Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
Logitech G933 is 80 on eBay for comparison.

System Name Firelance.
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Logitech G933 is 80 on eBay for comparison.

Yeah... for a refurb, and I don't buy used headsets for the same reason I don't buy used mice or keyboards.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
Yeah... for a refurb, and I don't buy used headsets for the same reason I don't buy used mice or keyboards.

They're not used, I have one. Typical "refurb" that's new.

Processor 4GHz intel i7 950
Motherboard GA X58-USB3 F5
Cooling Noctua C12P
Memory 48GB G.Skill RipjawsZ
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 480 873/1746/1848
Storage Intel 520 Series
Display(s) HP 2210m
Case Antec 300
Power Supply Antec True Power New 750
Software Windows 8 Pro
I just received mine, they hiss when powered on for me mostly from the left cup, it's quite annoying. I'm hoping it's a defect and I can get it replaced, as they're otherwise "okay" for a wireless gaming headset. Bringing down the bass will decrease fatigue and increase clarity even without having to increase the EQ on the highs.
Also if your charger is of lesser quality you will hear the DC noise quite easily too in the left cup.