• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Worldwide Markets Feel Jolt of Tencent's Epic $143 Billion Stock Crash

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Tencent Holdings, China's second most valuable tech firm after Alibaba, was mauled at the markets Tuesday (31/07), with its share value dropping 25 percent from its January peak. This translates to a stunning USD $143 billion (yes, billion) in investor wealth being wiped out. The crash has had a domino effect on tech stocks worldwide, as FANG block member Facebook lost an equally stunning $136 billion in market value, over the past three trading sessions. Apparently, buzzwords of the season such as AI and big-data aren't proving enough to keep investors interested in tech stocks as many are beginning to question the stability of the tech industry. All eyes are now on Tencent's August 15 release of its Q2-2018 financial results.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Imaginary money wiped from imaginary balance books. My heart bleeds.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
And another tech bubble bursting. What else is new. This has been happening for as long as I read the news...

On to the next one!

System Name Xeon build X58 / Main Rig X79
Processor Intel Xeon x5650 @ 4.2Ghz with HT / Xeon E5 1650 v2 @4.5Ghz
Motherboard Asus Rampage II Extreme socket 1366 / Asus P9X79 Pro socket 2011
Cooling Thermalright Archon +Ty 140mm|Fans : 2 front-1top-1rear-1bottom/ Gelid Phantom Twin Tower
Memory 16gb DDR3 1600mhz Kingstone Hyper x Quad Channel / 16gb DDR3 1600MHZ Patriot Viper 3
Video Card(s) Sapphire hd 7950 3gb Boost edition dual fan X / ZOTAC 1080 Ti Blower Edition
Storage Kingstone AV400ssd 120gb+Seagate B 2Tb+WD g 1tb+WD g 3tb+WD r 3tb+Seagate B 4tb+Lexar 2Tb NVMe
Display(s) AOC E2460S 24" 1080p 60hz 1ms / LG 32UK550B 32" UHD 4K HDR 10 with Freesync
Case Enermax Phoenix / Fractal Design Arc midi
Audio Device(s) SoundMaxHD+5.1 BHT1100 BLUESKY,Fiio E10 Olympus+SuperluxHD668b+KZ HBB pr2,Superlux E205.
Power Supply Sharkoon WPM Gold Zero 650W semi modular / Corsair RM 850 Fully Modular
Mouse Generic Mice / Corsair M90
Keyboard Generic Keyboard / Microsoft WK600
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 /Windows 10 Pro 64
Someone pressed a button as always.

that all is just crazy as i don't even have or use fakebook but i could hit you with about 50 factual links to what I have said above but why bother as it is not purely the topic...nice try at trolling:kookoo::roll:....lol
Please, by all means, provide these links, I would love to read them.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
Can someone explain to me how Facebook is worth so much? What does it provide that others like Myspace or VK doesn't?

These numbers must be made up.

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
Can someone explain to me how Facebook is worth so much? What does it provide that others like Myspace or VK doesn't?

That is a value we (anyone who participates in capitalism) have collectedly decide to assign to the company. So yes, its is made up by us.

Processor Core i5-6500
Motherboard MSI Z170A Krait Gaming
Memory 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury Black
Video Card(s) Radeon HD7970
Display(s) 2x BenQ E2200HD
Case Xigmatek Utgard
Power Supply OCZ Fatal1ty 550W
Mouse Mad Catz M.M.O.TE
Keyboard Coolermaster Quickfire TK MX Blue
Software Windows 10 64bit
This article can't be right. According to studies by the Allianz insurance there was 2016 a worldwide capital of in total 170 Billion Euros. Which ist still below the 300 Billion purported here.

Simple. Facebook is where the people are.

When your business is to essentially sell people's data and develop and sell tools to analyse and use that data, your entire value is in two things:

1 - How much data do you have?
2 - How effectively can that data be used?

We often focus on how large companies buy this data from facebook and use it to target advertising, and that IS where facebook makes their money, but there's a second type of consumer on facebook itself: The users.

Any given user on Facebook, even though they're paying nothing, they're still "buying" the same things.

They want their friends - which means the data they want to "buy" is data about their friends. Facebook has more of that than anyone else, so point 1 is satisfied better by Facebook than say, VK. (At least outside of Russia/Eastern Europe, where VK is more popular)

They also want to be able to browse their friend's profiles easily and efficiently, which is, admittedly, one of facebook's weak points - their user experience is terrible.

The thing is that for the user's part, they also cannot "vote with their wallet", since by using the service, they are consuming the product of point 1 - The data they want is messages from their friends, their pages, groups, photos, etc.

If they want to vote with their wallet, then either someone else needs to provide the same product, or they need to willingly give up access to that product.

Competing services like myspace simply don't have what facebook users want to "buy" - their friends data. That means people can't begin to migrate away from facebook, without accepting an inferior service from a competitor - even if the competitor is technologically and ethically many many times better than facebook - the technology is worthless without userbase to power it!

Until or unless facebook capitulates completely, this will remain the case, with people trapped inside their platform regardless of the technical superiority of competing options.

One potential approach would be for a competing service to use facebook as a source of data, collect it and then aggregate it from many social media sites, into only one - The problem with doing that is that facebooks terms and conditions, and their API, wouldn't allow this. Anyone who tried would be sued into oblivion unless they were quite clever about how it was done.

Last edited:
System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 11
I want in on this data stealing money.

Who wants to make a Facebook ourselves? We need a catchy name though.

I want in on this data stealing money.

Who wants to make a Facebook ourselves? We need a catchy name though.
I know you're joking, but the entire point of my post is that this isn't possible. If you are Facebook, your product is people's data. Your price for accessing that data, is that the customer spends their time and effort making an account and adding their friends, liking pages, etc.

Let's pretend for a second that we can measure data with a universal unit of measurement we can all agree on - like MHz. (Let's call it, the MegaHombrez, there is of course also the GigaHombrez and TeraHombrez, and the KiloHombrez)

That makes Facebook's advertisements look like this:

Facebook: "For the low, low price of $0 + 2 hours per day, we can offer you access to 500,000 GHz"

Now, you make a new social network, get a decent number of users onboard and go advertising for more people to join. You've made your social network twice as easy to use as facebook is. A huge improvement, surely nobody can resist an offer like a social network that is twice as easy to use as facebook, right?

Well, here's your advertisement:

"For the low, low price of $0 + 1 hour a day, we can offer you 5,000 GHz"

Clearly, then, the competing service, despite being twice as efficient and easy to use, presents a terrible value to the consumer - They're putting in 50% of the time, but only getting 1% of the GHz.

As a result, people will still choose to use Facebook. Why wouldn't they? The value/hour is 100 times what yours is. The more they use Facebook, the more of their data Facebook has, and the further behind any competitor is, before they even start.

The only way around this is to provide forms of data that Facebook doesn't provide - This is LinkedIn's business model - they provide professional data rather than personal, and as a result they occupy a niche of their own.

But simply competing with Facebook head-on? That's literally not possible at this point. At least, not if you were to do it in a fair and legal way. They operate in an environment where success in the past, quite literally guarantees success in the future unless the market changes in such a way that their product becomes obsolete, or the law forces them out of business.

Last edited:
System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 11
hey now, I see trends all my life. Before facebook there was something else. Facebook didn't invent anything, just re-invented the wheel. It just appealed to people just like something else will eventually.

I was joking of course.

hey now, I see trends all my life. Before facebook there was something else. Facebook didn't invent anything, just re-invented the wheel. It just appealed to people just like something else will eventually.

I was joking of course.
You say that, but Facebook is already 14 years old. It's not a trend. It's a longstanding, successful business, by any financial standards.

I also don't agree that they merely reinvented the wheel. I think that's massively selling short exactly how different the social media business model actually is to traditional business models.

Facebook's business model is practically wizardry - Take into account the following:

Product = Data
Price = User time investment
Sales = Number of users.

They've managed to create a circumstance where having more product increases it's price, increasing the price increases the sales, and increasing the sales increases the amount of product they actually have to sell in the first place. Every part of that is insane in a scarcity-based economy.

The only thing missing is actual dollars.

So where do the dollars come from? Well, all of this is financed by the fact that this is only the "Retail sales" side of their operation - the actual revenue stream for their business model is their Business To Business sales, where the price is determined by the amount of product available to sell, but the same product can be sold an infinite number of times, with a huge service charge tacked on in return for help actually using the product. Which is also insane.

I am not aware of any time in recorded history where it has actually been possible for a business to do anything remotely like this, and the fact Facebook have cornered the market using such a business model, that literally gets stronger over time solely by virtue of already being the strongest player in the market, is something that the world is, quite simply, not legally or even morally, equipped to handle in any way. It is utter madness, and at this stage, the only thing that can kill Facebook is Facebook, or legislation that outlaws what Facebook does.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I am not aware of any time in recorded history where it has actually been possible for a business to do anything remotely like this, and the fact Facebook have cornered the market using such a business model, that literally gets stronger over time solely by virtue of already being the strongest player in the market, is something that the world is, quite simply, not legally or even morally, equipped to handle in any way. It is utter madness, and at this stage, the only thing that can kill Facebook is Facebook, or legislation that outlaws what Facebook does.

Well.. Google was doing it quite a bit longer than FB. Just from a different angle. We search for how long with that engine? Nothing can surpass or resist that push. And if there is a competitor offering a similar service with something unique to it, they buy it, such as DuckDuckGo.

Microsoft is also doing it, from an OS point of view, except they are past their prime - but in the business segment? They still reign supreme and continue doing so, happily converting everything into SaaS and cloud.

In the end the mechanism is just good old monopoly and consolidation. The effect is just a lot stronger because its online and free of charge. Low barrier of entry + high barrier to escape it. You can also compare Facebook's dominance to petrol versus electric cars. Without a large userbase, the latter will never take off, but it will never get that userbase unless you can actually use it everywhere.

System Name Fujitsu Siemens, HP Workstation
Processor Athlon x2 5000+ 3.1GHz, i5 2400
Motherboard Asus
Memory 4GB Samsung
Video Card(s) rx 460 4gb
Storage 750 Evo 250 +2tb
Display(s) Asus 1680x1050 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) Pioneer
Power Supply 430W
Mouse Acme
Keyboard Trust
youtube news channels are full now whit market crash (world alternative, money gps, dw documentary) you can't make money anymore from hard work.

System Name Unimatrix
Processor Intel i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz
Motherboard ASRock x390 Taichi Ultimate
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ RGB DDR4 @ 3400MHz 14-14-14-32
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080 with Heatkiller Water Block
Storage 2x Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD in RAID 0, 1x WD Blue 1TB M.2 SSD
Display(s) Alienware 34" Ultrawide 3440x1440
Case CoolerMaster P500M Mesh
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W
Keyboard Corsair K75
Benchmark Scores Really Really High

Please do a little research on what Facebook actually owns before commenting.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.

Facebook's business is gossip. Their shares are tanking because they want to get behind the European privacy initiative which, to Wall Street, means less valuable gossip; ergo, their business is worth less (a lot less). Facebook is right up there with Google in terms of web advertising/marketing.

Well.. Google was doing it quite a bit longer than FB. Just from a different angle. We search for how long with that engine? Nothing can surpass or resist that push. And if there is a competitor offering a similar service with something unique to it, they buy it, such as DuckDuckGo.
Google only had queries and traffic to work off of. Facebook, people were gushing their heart and soul out to (photos, video, daily patterns, who this person knows, what this person likes, etc.). There's no anonymity either when dealing with Facebook. Last time I checked, about 2/7 of the world population had a Facebook account. Google has little success outside of West.

This article can't be right. According to studies by the Allianz insurance there was 2016 a worldwide capital of in total 170 Billion Euros. Which ist still below the 300 Billion purported here.
Sure that isn't trillion?

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Imaginary money wiped from imaginary balance books. My heart bleeds.

I mean, the money cited here is real stock purchases and sales, unfortunately.

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
DIE scavengers, DIE, in the same but opposite bloody, contourted, convoluted death spiral that was used to climb to their capitalist-pig mountains

System Name Royal Fortune (Main)/Adventure Galley (NAS)/Little Ranger (HTPC)
Processor Intel i5 4460/AMD C-70/Intel Pentium G3258 Anniversary Ed.
Motherboard Gigabyte ga-z97x-gaming 5/Asrock C-70M1/Asrock Z97 Anniversary
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC12DX/Stock/Raijintek Triton Core
Memory 8GB Team Group Dark 1600 CL9/8GB Team Group Elite 1600 CL9/8GB Avexir Core 1600
Video Card(s) VTX3D R9 280X 3GB/APU/Palit GTX 750 TI StormX Duo
Storage 120GB Team Group Ultra L5 SSD + 1TB WD Black/4 X 2TB WD Blue/120 GB Kingston V300
Display(s) Dell 2310/AOC e2070Swn 19.5"/TV
Case In Win 707/Bitfenix Prodigy M/Dimastech Easy V3
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply EVGA Supernova GS 650W/be quiet! System Power 7 350W/Xigmatek Maverick 400W
Mouse Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex/Razer Abyssus/-
Keyboard Corsair K70 Red/Steelseries Apex Raw/Logitech K400
Software Win10/FreeNAS 9.3/KodiBuntu
DIE scavengers, DIE, in the same but opposite bloody, contourted, convoluted death spiral that was used to climb to their capitalist-pig mountains
Whoa, you seem angry!
Sounds like you need a hug and I'm a pretty good hugger.
C'mere, have some hairy man loving, I promise to keep it platonic ;-)

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro

Don't conceive of them as a "social networking" company and then it'll make sense to you.

Just like Google isn't actually a Search or even a Tech company, when it comes down to it.

The "social" bit is only a means to an end. Just like Google products. i.e. They're Advertising companies.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Capitalism and it's imaginary money...

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 11
nvm, not worth the effort.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
What is the stock symbol for this company? TCTZF?