• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EK-Velocity CPU Water Block

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
EK Water Blocks has released their newest CPU block four years after the EK-Supremacy EVO came out. The new EK-Velocity attempts to not only bridge the gap of these past years, but also work for the next few by streamlining the cooling engine for higher flow, adding more customization options, including two different RGB lighting effects, and retaining popular features.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Proper
Processor 5900X + OC
Motherboard GB X570s Elite AX
Cooling WC Heatkiller 3.0 LT
Memory G.Skill 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 3070 Ti Trinity LC'ed + OC
Storage KC2500 1TB + A2000 1TB
Display(s) GB M32Q
Case Fractal Define R6 USB C
Audio Device(s) Creative AE-7 + Phonic AM120
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX-850
Mouse Log G502 X LS
Keyboard Keychron K5 Opt.brown
No mounts for both AMD and Intel in the box - fail.

And looking by price-pressure drop-CPU temps, Raystorm still rules. :)

But this Velocity looks sexy, especially the plexi one (don't care for RGB).

their manuals are superb, so it must be... they thought you didn't need it :)

charles4691

I have the EK Predator 240 which has the EK-Supremacy MX water block which cools very good. But I think has the ability to cool even better with a newer water block. Which is why I am now bummed out about the Velocity water block. I thought it would be far better and I would be able to use it instead of the MX.

System Name "Run of the mill" (except GPU)
Processor R9 3900X
Motherboard ASRock X470 Taich Ultimate
Cooling Cryorig (not recommended)
Memory 32GB (2 x 16GB) Team 3200 MT/s, CL14
Video Card(s) Radeon RX6900XT
Storage Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB NVMe
Display(s) Samsung Q95T
Case Define R5
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1000W
Mouse Roccat Leadr
Keyboard K95 RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro x64, insider preview dev channel
Benchmark Scores #1 worldwide on 3D Mark 99, back in the (P133) days. :)
@Dammeron and the XSPC blocks are cheaper too ... going by my experiences with them vs EK they (Raystorm) are also better made.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
No disrespect to EK, but those tops are known to crack over time. Also, and depending on the fluid, gunk buildup within the block can make it look like someone took a dump inside and performance declines rapidly.

Full nickel comes in one finish - and its rgb, and the wire is undetachable, which is super sucks. That’s just dissapointing - would love the option of the full nickel without leds and 10% cheaper

No disrespect to EK, but those tops are known to crack over time. Also, and depending on the fluid, gunk buildup within the block can make it look like someone took a dump inside and performance declines rapidly.

Plexi tops usually only crack if you overtighten the fittings. Anyway you have option of both acetal and full nickel tops if you're worried about that.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Full nickel comes in one finish - and its rgb, and the wire is undetachable, which is super sucks. That’s just dissapointing - would love the option of the full nickel without leds and 10% cheaper

You can remove the entire PCB with the LEDs and cable from the frame, if that is your concern. But I would first email EK to see if they can make one like this for you at a lower price.

There's a QR code on the box which leads you to the manual in PDF form :)

I know, and it has been mentioned in the review multiple times. I still don't like it :)

System Name Proper
Processor 5900X + OC
Motherboard GB X570s Elite AX
Cooling WC Heatkiller 3.0 LT
Memory G.Skill 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 3070 Ti Trinity LC'ed + OC
Storage KC2500 1TB + A2000 1TB
Display(s) GB M32Q
Case Fractal Define R6 USB C
Audio Device(s) Creative AE-7 + Phonic AM120
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX-850
Mouse Log G502 X LS
Keyboard Keychron K5 Opt.brown
@Dammeron and the XSPC blocks are cheaper too ... going by my experiences with them vs EK they (Raystorm) are also better made.

That's why i mentioned about price too. :)

As for quality - CNC machining is better for EK (mostly the microchannels), however it matters not for Raystorm, cause You can't see it anyway. Bought RS few years back and I think it will stay with me for longer than i thought.

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
It performs worse or the same as the block it replaces and costs more than the 75 cents of LEDs and wiring warrants, why does this get an 8.6?

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
It performs worse or the same as the block it replaces and costs more than the 75 cents of LEDs and wiring warrants, why does this get an 8.6?

What 8.6? It's always been an 8.0

It's way more than 75 cents for 24 RGB LEDs, the PCB and the two possible frame inserts.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Plexi tops usually only crack if you overtighten the fittings. Anyway you have option of both acetal and full nickel tops if you're worried about that.
Plexi tops can crack with any amount of pressure, its just a matter of time. From what I read/seen, Acetal seems to gunk up faster than plexi even if it doesn deteriorate as fast.

System Name Intel® X99 Wellsburg
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-5820K - 4.5GHz
Motherboard ASUS Rampage V E10 (1801)
Cooling EK RGB Monoblock + EK XRES D5 Revo Glass PWM
Memory CMD16GX4M4A2666C15
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB /850 EVO 1TB / WD Black 2TB
Display(s) Samsung P2450H
Case Lian Li PC-O11 WXC
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply EVGA 1200 P2 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G900 / SS QCK
Keyboard Deck 87 Francium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Beautifull block. Immediately when Caseking get him I could call store in Hungary,
they order, my friend take him and I pay store price without shipping, custom tax, etc...
Only my favorite is Full Nickel RGB and Acetal + Nickel.

This is... how to explain. Sometimes some hardware show up and you can buy him immediately, without fear that something nicer will show up.
I mean with them is everything estethic if performance are on same level as Supremacy EVO.
Example I could buy Full Nickel version for build I plan for 12-18 months, and I'm sure no one will launch nicer model for me.

Only negative from EKWB for me are fittings, and that's only my personal taste.
But maybe is sometimes better to sacrifice look for reliability, everyone told me ACF are reliable.
Somehow I don't like that vertical straps and I would like to see little better chrome,
But EKWB intention was to look different little and shine different than other chrome versions.

I hope they will launch some new series soon, and for Velocity and them I'm 100% customer.
I would like to know who take Nemesis GTR360 radiator from review here, for his build. :)
My Noctua NF-A12x25 push so much air through Coolstream PE, you feel a lot of air behind that Nemesis GTR with 5.4cm would be perfect.

Last edited:

GlacierXD

Uhhh, not RGB again. EKWB should srsly focus more on performance rather than expanding their RGB lineup.
I'd rather just keep buying Heatkiller blocks which do a better job at cooling than "showing off this flashy RGB design".

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
What 8.6? It's always been an 8.0
I must of been tired and seeing things, thought I saw 8.6
It's way more than 75 cents for 24 RGB LEDs, the PCB and the two possible frame inserts.

Simple PCBs cost nothing, but I am surprised they fit 24 in there, was thinking that there were 4-5 of them but they still do cost 15 cents a piece if they're addressable a lot less if they're not. Not sure how much inserts would add to the cost though I don't think enough to not make me raise an eyebrow at their asking price that is $30 more than the Supremacy RGB.

Last edited:
Case Lian Li PC-O11 WXC
Uhhh, not RGB again. EKWB should srsly focus more on performance rather than expanding their RGB lineup.
I'd rather just keep buying Heatkiller blocks which do a better job at cooling than "showing off this flashy RGB design".

I'm not fan of RGB at all. That's some Asian childish approach to human brains to profit money on shiny colorful thingies.
They install RGB everywhere in house and than decide to put them inside hardware.
But I didn't saw some hype and increased number of people who claim that Watercooling.de waterblocks give them far better performance than others.
If I saw good Alphacool one simple nothing special CPU block is 1-2C best, before that was Supremacy EVO.
I understand if you saw I will pay 70% higher price for Hardware labs radiator with lifetime warranty or Bitspower fittings twice more expensive than others because strongest and most durable and shinest chrome, but EKWB waterblocks are in most expensive RIGs and other people would bought Heatkiller IV with LCD screen if he give 5C clean better performance. But I can bet in one rig will give better in other worse performance.

EK have weak spots, but that's not waterblocks.
There is a Acetal + Nickel and Acetal + Copper and Acetal Plexi non RGB Versions of Velocity.
I will buy RGB but on model I like only Logo shine.

Last edited:

GlacierXD

I'm not fan of RGB at all. That's some Asian childish approach to human brains to profit money on shiny colorful thingies.
They install RGB everywhere in house and than decide to put them inside hardware.
But I didn't saw some hype and increased number of people who claim that Watercooling.de waterblocks give them far better performance than others.
If I saw good Alphacool one simple nothing special CPU block is 1-2C best, before that was Supremacy EVO.
I understand if you saw I will pay 70% higher price for Hardware labs radiator with lifetime warranty or Bitspower fittings twice more expensive than others because strongest and most durable and shinest chrome, but EKWB waterblocks are in most expensive RIGs and other people would bought Heatkiller IV with LCD screen if he give 5C clean better performance. But I can bet in one rig will give better in other worse performance.

EK have weak spots, but that's not waterblocks.
There is a Acetal + Nickel and Acetal + Copper and Acetal Plexi non RGB Versions of Velocity.
I will buy RGB but on model I like only Logo shine.
I don't get your point. I don't think Watercool has any product with a LCD screen, you are probably refering Aquacomputer which does provide some "handy" LCD screens. Xtremerigs have tested basicly all TR4 blocks in that round-up, and Heatkiller did get the prize for it. Also from my own exprience, by switching from Supermacy EVO to Heatkiller IV on my OCed 7900X I did get a better temp at roughly degrees lower. Also I had some performance issue with EKWB rads and I ended up switching to hardware labs after that.
I am a huge EKWB fan whatsoever, and I just to want to see one of my favorite brand falls into this crappy RGB meta like TT does.

I c
@GlacierXD, how much better would you say the heatkiller water block is to a Supremacy MX?
I cannot tell you procisely and Watercool.de is a rather small brand after all, so there's hardly any comparison test on the Internet. But I did get 4C lower switching from Supermacy EVO to Heatkill IV.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
This very review has the Heatkiller IV in the comparison charts, for what it is worth.

Case Lian Li PC-O11 WXC
OK, every brand have own advantage.
I'm only know that radiator must be HW Lab Nemesis.
Heatkiller by Watercool give impression of much harder and more durable stuff than Alphacool example.
But all of brands have good and negative sides, technical support is very important.
From that side EKWB always answer and fast respond. Some errors are not possible to avoid and it's important how vendor will treat you.
If they blame customers and search excuses than not worth gambling.
I admit Heatkiller IV PRO Copper Black 1st Class, but EKWB Velocity Full Nickel is as well.
For me nicest CPU block on market is EKWB Annihilator. That's my vision of watercooling parts.

System Name Multiple desktop/server builds
Processor Desktops: 13900K, 5800X3D, 12900K | Servers: 2 x 3900X, 2 x 5950X, 3950X, 2950X, 8700K
Motherboard Z690 Apex, X570 Aorus Xtreme, Z690-I Strix
Cooling All watercooled
Memory DDR5-6400C32, DDR4-3600C14, DDR5-6000C36
Video Card(s) 4090 Gaming OC, 4090 TUF OC, 2 x 3090, 2 x 2080Ti, 1080Ti Gaming X EK, 2 x 1070, 2 x 1060
Storage dozens of TBs of SSDs, 112TB NAS, 140TB NAS
Display(s) Odyssey Neo G9, PG35VQ, P75QX-H1
Case Caselabs S8, Enthoo Elite, Meshlicious, Cerberus X, Cerberus, 2 x Velka 7, MM U2-UFO, Define C
Audio Device(s) Schiit Modius + SMSL SP200, Grace DAC + Drop THX AAA, Sony HT-A9, Nakamichi 9.2.4
Power Supply AX1200, Dark Power Pro 12 1500W
Mouse G Pro X Superlight Black + White
Keyboard Wooting 60HE, Moonlander
VR HMD Index, Oculus CV1
They have non rgb versions of every single variant of this block and you save $15 by going with non-rgb. Plus the heatkiller block did worse than EKWB in this review.