• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell Inspiron 15 3000 (w/SSD Upgrade)

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
Dell's Insprion 15 3000 is an entry-level notebook that remains not only highly affordable after a quick upgrade to an SSD, but feels quick and responsive. Take that into account, along with the surprisingly good battery life, and you have a decent system for on-the-go that won't break the bank.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:
Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
I actually got one of these off Dells scratch and dent site for well under $300. I upgraded the HDD to an old Crucial MX100 SSD I had, doubled the RAM to 8GB and use a 2x2 AC USB wi-fi hub instead of the 2x1 internal intel wi-fi chip.

The intel i3-8130U and SSD boot up the laptop rather quick. It does it's job surfing the web & streaming video. Better then any of the chromebooks I saw at similar prices or the AMD mobile alternatives.

I had to work on a new HP laptop (AMD A6-9225 CPU ) my neighbor purchased for a "good price" recently. I wanted to toss the laptop out the window. The CPU was running at 90-100% most of the time while the laptop was doing nothing other then having a web browser open but minimized to the task bar. Downloading software and installing software was painful.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
I actually got one of these off Dells scratch and dent site for well under $300. I upgraded the HDD to an old Crucial MX100 SSD I had, doubled the RAM to 8GB and use a 2x2 AC USB wi-fi hub instead of the 2x1 internal intel wi-fi chip.

The intel i3-8130U and SSD boot up the laptop rather quick. It does it's job surfing the web & streaming video. Better then any of the chromebooks I saw at similar prices or the AMD mobile alternatives.
What do you think of the keyboard? We have about 50 inspiron laptops at work and the keyboards SUCK.
I had to work on a new HP laptop (AMD A6-9225 CPU ) my neighbor purchased for a "good price" recently. I wanted to toss the laptop out the window. The CPU was running at 90-100% most of the time while the laptop was doing nothing other then having a web browser open but minimized to the task bar. Downloading software and installing software was painful.
That A6 is a bulldozer derivative, a dual core (meaning single FPU). That thing would be comparable to a pentium IV in performance.

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
What do you think of the keyboard? We have about 50 inspiron laptops at work and the keyboards SUCK.

For a budget laptop/chromebook the keyboard is OK. I can type URLs, fill out web page info, and type message board posts with no issue. I would not use that keyboard for work or school if I had the option. I've had two Dell latitude laptops previously and the keyboard is not as good as them.

I find the mouse pad itself to be below par (not the worst Ive ever used but annoying) and more annoying then the keyboard. I use a logitech M510 with the laptop.