• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cooler Master MK850 Keyboard

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Cooler Master brings Aimpad analog control to a global keyboard market with the new MK850 keyboard. The feature list alone would take up the better half of a page, so you need to absolutely devote some time to reading through the review of one of the most important additions to the peripherals market in years.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Baxter
Processor Intel i7-5775C @ 4.2 GHz 1.35 V
Motherboard ASRock Z97-E ITX/AC
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3 with Noctua NF-A12 fan
Memory 16 GB 2400 MHz CL11 HyperX Savage DDR3
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black @ 1950 MHz
Storage 1 TB Sabrent Rocket 2242 NVMe SSD (boot), 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO, and 4TB Toshiba X300 7200 RPM HDD
Display(s) Vizio P65-F1 4KTV (4k60 with HDR or 1080p120)
Case Raijintek Ophion
Audio Device(s) HDMI PCM 5.1, Vizio 5.1 surround sound
Power Supply Corsair SF600 Platinum 600 W SFX PSU
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G613 and Microsoft Media Keyboard
Controllers have certainly had an advantage in analog control for a while. It's why I play a lot of games with my Xbox One controller instead of mouse and keyboard unless I absolutely need the mouse precision. I think that the analog keys are a step in the right direction, but there's still a missing component of having more than four directions available. Sure, you can press two of the sensitive keys to simulate an analog stick being pressed on the diagonal, but it's a lot easier to blend forward and right on a controller by just moving the stick along the controller gate between the two directions. Without that control, I think that controllers still have the advantage with movement controls. I'd really be interested in a sort of nunchuck controller for PC gaming, so you could use the controller for movement and a mouse for look. Maybe I'll try getting a Switch controller configured as a test.

Processor Intel Core 2 QX6850
Motherboard ABIT AB9 Pro
Cooling Zalman CNPS-9900 MAX-R
Memory Patriot PDC24G6400LLK (4x 2 GB)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Light Turbo
Storage Not Enough!
Display(s) Samsung T240HD
Case NZXT Zero
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Power Supply Thortech Thunderbolt Plus TTBPK00G 1000W
Mouse Elecom M-DUX70BK
Keyboard CM Storm Trigger (Cherry MX Brown)
Software NOT Windows 10
It's nice to see Cooler Master making such fancy feature-rich keyboards again. The "macro buttons" seem to be a misnomer but their lack of versatility isn't much of a surprise since the MK850 looks like an updated version of their old CM Storm Trigger. It would've been nice to see CM step up from that and offer more options for the macro buttons.