• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Beta for Microsoft Project xCloud to be Available in October in Select Regions

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
After continuously testing its Project xCloud streaming gaming service in an internal group, Microsoft is now looking to expand its testing of the service for a broader audience. This will be done via a Beta launch of the service, available at first only for residents in the US and UK (click here, and (South) Korea (click here). The idea is to stress-test the service, since according to Microsoft, "It's time to put Project xCloud to the test in a broader capacity, with a range of gamers, devices, network environments and real-world use-case scenarios, and this is where you come in." There is no end in sight for the Beta: Microsoft wants it to last "until customers are consistently reporting a great, fun experience and the technology meets our internal quality standards."

The only thing that's needed to participate is a Bluetooth Xbox One controller that you can connect to whatever device you want, be it a smartphone, tablet, or other streaming-capable device. The idea here is to test the xCloud service in as broad hardware and network configurations as possible, and it's a Beta, so remember to cool your expectations adequately. You won't be able to play games that are already connected to your account - Microsoft offers a curated selection of titles that includes (for the time being) Halo 5: Guardians, Gears 5, Killer Instinct, and Sea of Thieves.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Space Lynx

Astronaut
hmmm high refresh only for me, so none of the streaming services can satisfy me in bed just yet

:rockout:

PCMasterRace

hmmm high refresh only for me, so none of the streaming services can satisfy me in bed just yet
Think about it this way:
Thanks to cloud gaming millions of PC/console gamers will switch to much cheaper devices, so there will be less shortage of desktop CPUs for your high fps machine...
... just kidding.
Actually this will only mean more stuff made for datacenters and less for consumers.
And because less high-end consumer components will be made, PC gaming will become even more expensive. :)

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
think of the gaming explosion this could help happen in some underdeveloped countries, Elon musk or oneweb or some other company will happily link them up, be shocking lag all over the place what with cross-platform, at least consoles will finally get to see what cheaters do to games.

Cheeseball

Not a Potato
Supporter
System Name 2023 AMD Work & Gaming Rig
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I Gaming WiFi
Cooling ID-COOLING SE-207-XT Slim Snow
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 2x16GB DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB GDDR6 (MBA)
Storage 2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVMe
Display(s) AOpen Fire Legend 24" 390Hz (25XV2Q), Alienware 34" 165Hz (AW3423DWF), LG C2 42" 120Hz (OLED42C2PUA)
Case Cooler Master Q300L V2
Audio Device(s) Kanto Audio YU2 and SUB8 Desktop Speakers and Subwoofer, Cloud Alpha Wireless
Power Supply Corsair RM850x White (2021)
Mouse Logitech Pro Superlight (White), G303 Shroud Edition
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB TKL Champion Series / Wooting 60HE / NuPhy Air75
VR HMD Occulus Quest 2 128GB
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit 22H2 Build 22621.1992
Another way of thinking: If cloud gaming does take off that would allow developers to concentrate on reducing latency over the internet. This could be a win for everyone if this is the case.

Another way of thinking: If cloud gaming does take off that would allow developers to concentrate on reducing latency over the internet. This could be a win for everyone if this is the case.
No offense, but how exactly would you like developers to reduce connection latency? :-D

Latency is not an issue. The target group of cloud gaming is not concerned. People have been playing server-rendered games *for years*. We have enough datacenters all over the world and enough bandwidth to sustain this concept.

The enthusiast gamers - people that spend thousands of USD on computers and many hours comparing monitor and mouse latencies - will keep doing what they have. The only effect for them is that high-end gaming components will become even more expensive.

Cheeseball

Not a Potato
Supporter
Display(s) AOpen Fire Legend 24" 390Hz (25XV2Q), Alienware 34" 165Hz (AW3423DWF), LG C2 42" 120Hz (OLED42C2PUA)
Audio Device(s) Kanto Audio YU2 and SUB8 Desktop Speakers and Subwoofer, Cloud Alpha Wireless
No offense, but how exactly would you like developers to reduce connection latency? :-D

I mean developers in general. Those who are creating and developing the technology. Scientists, engineers, researchers, etc. Not just game developers, but they can be included.

Latency is not an issue. The target group of cloud gaming is not concerned. People have been playing server-rendered games *for years*. We have enough datacenters all over the world and enough bandwidth to sustain this concept.

I know latency is not a priority issue as any lag that we experience in online gaming is satisfactory at best (barring problems with ISPs and not-so-quality hardware). What I mean is we should continue to improve on this. We're getting 10ms to 20ms on a good server now, but I hope for the day when we can get the experience to like having an on-prem machine.

Everyone would benefit from improved latency. Enthusiasts, casual gamers, etc. I would love to play on a server around the world (US to Korea) and have sub 30ms.

I mean developers in general. Those who are creating and developing the technology. Scientists, engineers, researchers, etc. Not just game developers, but they can be included.
These people are not called "developers". Seriously.
And you do understand a lot of this lag is due to physical limits, right?
We're getting 10ms to 20ms on a good server now, but I hope for the day when we can get the experience to like having an on-prem machine.
This will *never* happen. A local machine will always have an advantage. How small this advantage can become and whether a particular gamer notices a difference - that's another story.

You get 10ms lag for each 1000km of distance between you and the server. That's over fibre with no devices on the way. So it's more like 20ms in "real life". Using a client over WiFi will add a bit as well.

Over a course of many years gaming providers may build many smaller datacenters all over the world.
As of today, this is where Google is most likely to run Stadia:

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
There are 2 kinds of gaming lag, one is hardware lag, the other is network server lag, not to be confused with latency, which does happen occasionally. Latency is still hampered by the number of hops between the gamer and the datacenter for a game. This make distance a factor because each network hop takes time. You can see this using 'tracert' in a command prompt window.

Cheeseball

Not a Potato
Supporter
These people are not called "developers". Seriously.
And you do understand a lot of this lag is due to physical limits, right?

This will *never* happen. A local machine will always have an advantage. How small this advantage can become and whether a particular gamer notices a difference - that's another story.

You get 10ms lag for each 1000km of distance between you and the server. That's over fibre with no devices on the way. So it's more like 20ms in "real life". Using a client over WiFi will add a bit as well.

Over a course of many years gaming providers may build many smaller datacenters all over the world.
As of today, this is where Google is most likely to run Stadia:

Semantics. Seriously. :laugh:

I know. Latency is caused by material limitation and distance. Improvements can be made by either reducing the distance (which is not physically feasible) along with better semiconductor material. A local machine will always be faster because it's right there, but being able to just jump on the net and play would be nice for those who don't have the time to build their own machines or spend on a console.

There are 2 kinds of gaming lag, one is hardware lag, the other is network server lag, not to be confused with latency, which does happen occasionally. Latency is still hampered by the number of hops between the gamer and the datacenter for a game. This make distance a factor because each network hop takes time. You can see this using 'tracert' in a command prompt window.

I know. I was talking about network latency. Distance is the biggest factor.

System Name My Rig
Processor AMD 3950X
Motherboard X570 TUFF GAMING PLUS
Cooling EKWB Custom Loop, Lian Li 011 G1 distroplate/DDC 3.1 combo
Memory 4x16GB Corsair DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) MSI Seahawk 2080 Ti EKWB block
Storage 2TB Auros NVMe Drive
Display(s) Asus P27UQ
Case Lian Li 011-Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) JBL 30X
Power Supply Seasonic Titanium 1000W
Mouse Razer Lancehead
Keyboard Razer Widow Maker Keyboard
Software Window's 10 Pro
I think my brain just melted reading this thread. Game streaming is stupid for high speed re-action/competitive games. RPGs, Turn-based, sounds great!

Now allowing people to pick what ever platform they want, is a FANTASTIC idea.

5G is pointless -- line of sight is a mother. --

System Name ATHENA
Processor AMD 7950X
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair X670E Extreme
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 7 x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC IP67 2000RPM
Memory 2x32GB Trident Z RGB 6000Mhz CL30
Video Card(s) ASUS 4090 Strix
Storage 3 x Kingston Fury 4TB, 4 x Samsung 870 QVO
Display(s) Alienware AW3821DW, Wacom Cintiq Pro 15
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) Topping A90/D90 MQA, Fluid FPX7 Fader Pro, Beyerdynamic T1 G2, Beyerdynamic MMX300
Power Supply ASUS THOR 1600T
Mouse Xtrfy MZ1 - Zy' Rail, Logitech MX Vertical, Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 + OpenSUSE MicroOS
I'm much more interested in Microsofts solution for streaming from an owned console to be honest. Especially if that same solution gets made available for Windows as well. That'd be a match made in heaven.

I'm much more interested in Microsofts solution for streaming from an owned console to be honest. Especially if that same solution gets made available for Windows as well. That'd be a match made in heaven.
"From" a console? As in: console being the server? You can already do that today. :)

AFAIR they've already said the Xbox platform will be unified, so you'll be able to stream to many types of devices. And for each game on your account you may be able to install and run locally. Of course reality may differ after tests and business decisions.

To be honest, this is not far from how Windows Store and Game Pass work today ("Xbox Play Anywhere").

System Name ATHENA
Processor AMD 7950X
Audio Device(s) Topping A90/D90 MQA, Fluid FPX7 Fader Pro, Beyerdynamic T1 G2, Beyerdynamic MMX300
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
"From" a console? As in: console being the server? You can already do that today. :)

AFAIR they've already said the Xbox platform will be unified, so you'll be able to stream to many types of devices. And for each game on your account you may be able to install and run locally. Of course reality may differ after tests and business decisions.

To be honest, this is not far from how Windows Store and Game Pass work today ("Xbox Play Anywhere").

Within the home network. Microsoft's flagged being able to do this outside your home network (without using a VPN or other shens :p ).

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
5G is pointless -- line of sight is a mother. --

It's also completely irrelevant to this thread? And has multiple far longer range versions coming out soon?

System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
I know. I was talking about network latency. Distance is the biggest factor.
The number of hops is the biggest factor. You can have 3 hops from the gamer in Newark to the server in Sacramento, and his next door neighbor could have 10 hops from Newark to Columbus Ohio.

Cheeseball

Not a Potato
Supporter
The number of hops is the biggest factor. You can have 3 hops from the gamer in Newark to the server in Sacramento, and his next door neighbor could have 10 hops from Newark to Columbus Ohio.

Yeah, technically that still boils down to distance. The usual reason why there are so many hops is to cover long distances. If it was just one or two hops (example: direct connection) it would still be distance as the cause for latency.

If I connect to our workstation in Korea directly via IP address (one or two hops), latency is around 220 ms.
If I go through our VPN (which routes through Seattle, Japan then Korea, multiple hops), latency is 240 to 250 ms 270 to 280ms.

EDIT: Make that around 270 to 280ms for today.

Within the home network. Microsoft's flagged being able to do this outside your home network (without using a VPN or other shens :p ).
Oh, OK.
But why would you want to stream from home if a cloud service will be available?

This is a very niche need. I also tried that occasionally and of course it works - if you have very good upload characteristics (rare in consumer connections).
But I'd never do that if I could use someone else's server or cloud.

So maybe you're looking at this from a perspective of someone who doesn't know any alternative and is used to some solution.

System Name ATHENA
Processor AMD 7950X
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Oh, OK.
But why would you want to stream from home if a cloud service will be available?

This is a very niche need. I also tried that occasionally and of course it works - if you have very good upload characteristics (rare in consumer connections).
But I'd never do that if I could use someone else's server or cloud.

So maybe you're looking at this from a perspective of someone who doesn't know any alternative and is used to some solution.

Because I likely won't have to pay for it and I have a decent connection?

Because I likely won't have to pay for it and I have a decent connection?
Better connection than datacenters have? :)
And you still have to pay: for the game, for electricity, for the PC, for the faster connection...

Moving to cloud is a long-time investment - just like in enterprise segment.
If you use it in addition to normal local operation, it's obviously an additional cost and complexity. There's no way around it.

Cloud only makes sense when you start to replace your earlier solutions.
The biggest saving is obviously from not having to own an expensive PC.

System Name ATHENA
Processor AMD 7950X
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Better connection than datacenters have? :)

How condescending can you be? Sheesh. I already stream my PC to my work phone, works fine. Yeah sure, my setup isn't as good as running it out of Azure, but it works fine, and will certainly be cheaper than $20 or so a month considering I own the hardware anyway.

How condescending can you be? Sheesh.
How was that condescending? :eek:
I already stream my PC to my work phone, works fine. Yeah sure, my setup isn't as good as running it out of Azure, but it works fine, and will certainly be cheaper than $20 or so a month considering I own the hardware anyway.
Well exactly. You own the hardware anyway. And you've easily spent $5000 on your current setup: not including the things you'd need for cloud anyway (monitor, keyboard, mouse).
Since everything is very modern, it's likely you're spending a lot regularly - moving to the latest and greatest.

The fundamental question of moving to cloud is: how much less could you spend on your PC? How much less could you spend from now on?

If you bought all of this for gaming and you could live with a $1000 notebook, savings are huge and $20/month is petty cash.
Even if it turns out 3440x1440 120Hz from cloud would cost you $100, that's still within budget.

If you really need so much oomph for other tasks or you simply like owning an expensive PC, then you aren't in the group that cloud gaming services want to allure. :)

System Name ATHENA
Processor AMD 7950X
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
If you really need so much oomph for other tasks or you simply like owning an expensive PC, then you aren't in the group that cloud gaming services want to allure. :)

The elephant in the room is latency and you know it. Its fine to fuck around at work on my phone, but for an enjoyable experience at high refresh and resolutions, none of these solutions will provide for it, and arguably won't for the next decade.

System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Yeah, technically that still boils down to distance. The usual reason why there are so many hops is to cover long distances. If it was just one or two hops (example: direct connection) it would still be distance as the cause for latency.

If I connect to our workstation in Korea directly via IP address (one or two hops), latency is around 220 ms.
If I go through our VPN (which routes through Seattle, Japan then Korea, multiple hops), latency is 240 to 250 ms 270 to 280ms.

EDIT: Make that around 270 to 280ms for today.
it doesnt "boil down" to anything else. Hardware are each hop location also factors in. That distance, several thousand miles, yea that amount of latency is NORMAL for everyone jumping connections across the ocean, be grateful its only a couple hops.

You should have mentioned that little fact in your original statement :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Cheeseball

Not a Potato
Supporter
You should have mentioned that little fact in your original statement :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

The point was already made, distance and hardware limitations are the biggest factors that contribute to latency. Distance can't be compensated for easily, so we would need to rely more on future hardware improvements, whether it be better materials, newer technology, etc. That's the point I was making.

Last edited: