1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

260SLI vs 460

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by belzebub, Jan 12, 2011.

1. belzebub New Member

Thanks Received:
    At this time I got 2x 260-216 in SLI but im thinking about getting a 460 instead.
    The things im interested in are the heat, performance, power consumption and noise.
    Anyone got some experience with a similar setup?

So my first idea was to just replace the 260's in favor of a single card solution > 460.
    I do have some heat issues atm since my case isnt really that up-to-date but thats another
    story. Fact is I do have to leave it open with the 2x 260s or they get too warm and their
    fans tune up.

So what do you guys say? Is it a loss in performance to get a 460 instead of the SLI'd 260s?
    Im looking at some reference design 460(EVGA) since I heard they got a pretty low-noise fan.

However I would consider using a 260 as dedicated physX card..
    I would like to close my case again, but I can live with it being open I suppose. I do have
    to get a new one sometime anyhow..

Please give me some oppinions and what you think about the heat, noise level, performance and power consumption.

2. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    keep it till nvidia release their new mainstream cards and ATI the high end cards, the prices will fall like a stone

3. Inioch

Inioch

Thanks Received:
    The rumoured 560 should be around soon enough. Although the 460 is a great card, why not hold off for a while and see what the next couple of months bring?

4. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Bullet Dodging Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I would guess a 1GB 460 would be around a 20% drop in performance over SLI's 260's. Personally, based on that alone I would forget it even though you would have benefits in heat and power consumption.

If you want to increase or at least match performance you need to at least look at a 470 or 570, however, you could go AMD and pick yourself up say a 6950 and perhaps keep one of the 260's as a dedicated Physx card if you are really that bothered about it.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. Completely Bonkers New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sell your 2x 260's now. (While you can still get something for them)

Wait til release of 560 Ti. Then buy 560 Ti. And install.

What? No GPU for a few weeks?

Yep. And enjoy a few weeks of NO GAMING... do something different for a change, incl. studying, taking the GF out, spoiling the wife, or playing/educating the kids, or perhaps just getting out! (Select from list as most appropriate depending on your age).

Then GAME LIKE CRAZY 48hr nonstop once that 560 is in your rig.

6. vega22

vega22

Thanks Received:
    i thought the ti was the "lite" 560 like the 460 se :|

if my 460 is anything to go by heat shouldnt be an issue but i dont have ref cooling either.