• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Lian Li Strimer Plus 24-pin & 8-pin

Darksaber

Senior Editor & Case Reviewer
Staff member
System Name Meshlicious Monster
Processor Intel Core i5-10600T
Motherboard MSI Z490I Unify
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z53 with 2x Noctua Redux 1300 RPM PWM fans
Memory ADATA 16 GB 3200 Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
Storage TeamGroup 1TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Asus ProArt 27" 1440P, 75Hz
Case ssupd Meshlicious with mesh side panels
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion 660 W Platinum ATX
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro Wireless
Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home
The Lian Li Strimer Plus takes the original principle of lighting up your otherwise boring ATX cables with RGB colors. Instead of using the fiber optics principle of lighting each strand at its end, the Strimer Plus employs rows of LEDs for brighter, cooler animations for both the 24-pin and 8-pin cables.

Show full review

DevBiker

The review (conclusion) states:
you could attach LED strips and fans to it for unison control of your lighting effects inside the chassis
While that's true theoretically, in practicality, it's total hogwash. The RGB output from the Lian Li Strimer Plus is missing the +5V line - it's not providing any power at all to whatever device is connecting to it. As a result, this makes it completely useless for the vast majority of strips and fans out there - they'll be depending on getting the LED's power from the motherboard connection. As the Strimer Plus controller doesn't provide that ... they won't light up. Furthermore, many of the self-powered controllers out there that support a motherboard sync connection use the +5V line to detect the presence of the motherboard cable. If that's missing, they don't switch over to motherboard control mode. So those, also, will not work.
I'm also quite disappointed that no mention at all was made of the JST-PH connectors that they use. These connectors are small and not very durable. In fact, with mine, two of the pins were not securely in the housing; I had to repair them myself to ensure that they stayed in. Fortunately, most folks won't be unplugging and plugging these multiple times - they just won't last many plug/unplug cycles. This is a bug step down from the JST-SM connectors that were used on the original Strimer which, while bulky and ugly, are quite durable.

My main complaint is that the supporting material and extension cable is white as opposed to black, thus detracting from the light effects in certain lighting. Price isn't as big an issue as that goes down over time.

I do wish that future revisions just straight-up integrate the 24/8 wires into the unit rather than stick with the weird clip on system, allowing it to be a bit thinner and more flexible. That would also allow the RGB strips to come closer to touching the motherboard (when plugged into a 90 degree angled port) or the GPU, and give the illusion of "feeding power" to the mobo, since it would no longer need the clips holding the RGB to the extension cables.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Streamer Plus, yet Strimer is mentioned repeatedly through the article AND in the heading.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Streamer Plus, yet Strimer is mentioned repeatedly through the article AND in the heading.

Nope, its Lian Li that can't spell

1586505724983.png

Low quality post by Caring1
System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit

Alilll

So I bought it and I'm doing RGB'em all.
How to sync it with motherbaord RGB? I connected it as explained in the provided connection guide and lights up gorgeously but DOES NOT sync with my mobo RGB at all!
I know the reason is the controller will NOT follow the motherboard sync.
However when I diconnected the 8 pin cable and used the provided adapter with it that has 3 pins it followed all motherboard lights.
The dilemma is the 24 pin cable that does NOT has a similar adaptor. I mean, in order to power up the 24 pin cable RGB I have to use the controller.
I'm looking to find a similar weird adaptor cable to bypass the controller and connected directly to the motherborad 3 pin but I can't find it.
Any advice please?

MrBobbleness

The review (conclusion) states:

While that's true theoretically, in practicality, it's total hogwash. The RGB output from the Lian Li Strimer Plus is missing the +5V line - it's not providing any power at all to whatever device is connecting to it. As a result, this makes it completely useless for the vast majority of strips and fans out there - they'll be depending on getting the LED's power from the motherboard connection. As the Strimer Plus controller doesn't provide that ... they won't light up. Furthermore, many of the self-powered controllers out there that support a motherboard sync connection use the +5V line to detect the presence of the motherboard cable. If that's missing, they don't switch over to motherboard control mode. So those, also, will not work.
I'm also quite disappointed that no mention at all was made of the JST-PH connectors that they use. These connectors are small and not very durable. In fact, with mine, two of the pins were not securely in the housing; I had to repair them myself to ensure that they stayed in. Fortunately, most folks won't be unplugging and plugging these multiple times - they just won't last many plug/unplug cycles. This is a bug step down from the JST-SM connectors that were used on the original Strimer which, while bulky and ugly, are quite durable.
I'm having problems with the 8 pin extender and I believe its a faulty JST-PH connector. How did you repair yours?