• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TSMC 5 nm Customers Listed, Intel Rumored to be One of Them

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
TSMC is working hard to bring a new 5 nm (N5 and N5+) despite all the hiccups the company may have had due to the COVID-19 pandemic happening. However, it seems like nothing can stop TSMC, and plenty of companies have already reserved some capacity for their chips. With mass production supposed to start in Q3 of this year, 5 nm node should become one of the major nodes over time for TSMC, with predictions that it will account for 10% of all capacity for 2020. Thanks to the report of ChinaTimes, we have a list of new clients for the TSMC 5 nm node, with some very interesting names like Intel appearing on the list.

Apple and Huawei/HiSilicon will be the biggest customers for the node this year with A14 and Kirin 1000 chips being made for N5 node, with Apple ordering the A15 chips and Huawei readying the Kirin 1100 5G chip for the next generation N5+. From there, AMD will join the 5 nm party for Zen 4 processors and RDNA 3 graphics cards. NVIDIA has also reserved some capacity for its Hopper architecture, which is expected to be a consumer-oriented option, unlike Ampere. And perhaps the most interesting entry to the list is Intel Xe graphics cards. The list shows that Intel might use the N5 process form TSMC so it can ensure the best possible performance for its future cards, in case it has some issues manufacturing its own nodes, just like it did with 10 nm.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

las

System Name Obsolete / Waiting for Zen 5 or Arrow Lake
Processor i9-9900K @ 5.2 GHz @ 1.35v / No AVX Offset
Motherboard AsRock Z390 Taichi
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32GB G.Skill @ 4000/CL15
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX 4090 Phantom / Undervolt + OC
Storage Samsung 990 Pro 2TB + WD SN850X 1TB + 64TB NAS/Server
Display(s) 27" 1440p IPS @ 280 Hz + 77" QD-OLED @ 144 Hz VRR
Case Fractal Design Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Asus Essence STX / Upgraded Op-Amps
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x / Native 12VHPWR
Mouse Logitech G Pro Wireless Superlight
Keyboard Corsair K60 Pro / MX Low Profile Speed
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Well Apple is TSMC's customer numero uno. They will sit on that 5nm production well into 2021.

Well Apple is TSMC's customer numero uno. They will sit on that 5nm production well into 2021.

To see Intel to get to this point of outsourcing, things in Intel must be really messed up.

From the little detailed analysis that I've seen, it appears that AMD will be taking close to 50% of all 5nm TSMC wafers in 2021.

There'll be pretty slim pickings for others once Apple, Huawei & others have had their fill.

I'd expect NVIDIA to be bigger on Samsung 4nm & 5nm than they are on their 7nm or 8nm.

This time round, it'll probably be GA100 and GA102 on TSMC 7nm EUV. GA103 on TSMC 7nmP. All the volume chips definitely on Samsung.

Hopper I'd expect GH100 and GH102 to be on TSMC 5nm EUV (not the custom high power version AMD have), and everything else on Samsung. Next architecture after that, it could be just Gx100.

This is great for foundry competition IMO. It'll drive Samsung to improve the peformance versions of their new smaller nodes, and might finally get Intel to throw enough money at its foundry problems to get things moving.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
This is great for foundry competition IMO. It'll drive Samsung to improve the peformance versions of their new smaller nodes, and might finally get Intel to throw enough money at its foundry problems to get things moving.

Money at foundry problems has not saved them until today, so I don't see how more money will accelerate that for Intel. What they need is strategic readjustment and what we have seen is them trying to do that with minimal collateral damage. So far, apparently they still sell so the damage is managed, but stilll done.

They will need several years to turn this around, and their recent attempts are all bandaids. Anything 10nm for consumer you can safely say will be super low yield or low-power/performance. Alder Lake confirms that for true performance they would rather still grab 14nm cores.

This means that all this 7nm and up roadmap we have seen until now is built on air. Or all the 10nm tweaks are just PoCs... and they're about to bring us the real deal. (lol)

There are many other ventures Intel still has... but whether that will carry their fab business... not so sure.

Money at foundry problems has not saved them until today, so I don't see how more money will accelerate that for Intel. What they need is strategic readjustment and what we have seen is them trying to do that with minimal collateral damage. So far, apparently they still sell so the damage is managed, but stilll done.

They will need several years to turn this around, and their recent attempts are all bandaids. Anything 10nm for consumer you can safely say will be super low yield or low-power/performance. Alder Lake confirms that for true performance they would rather still grab 14nm cores.

This means that all this 7nm and up roadmap we have seen until now is built on air. Or all the 10nm tweaks are just PoCs... and they're about to bring us the real deal. (lol)

There are many other ventures Intel still has... but whether that will carry their fab business... not so sure.

If 7nm isn't sorted relatively soon, and doesn't perform at least acceptably, with a clear and expedient roadmap for 5nm, then the company's leadership is done, for sure. Shareholders won't wait forever.

ARF

If the following is correct:

From the little detailed analysis that I've seen, it appears that AMD will be taking close to 50% of all 5nm TSMC wafers in 2021.

then AMD is TSMC's customer numero uno.

What is that all-chinese thing between Zen 4/RDNA 3 and Snapdragon 875?

System Name 06/2023
Processor R7 7800X3D
Motherboard ROG STRIX B650E-I GAMING WIFI
Cooling Custom 240mm cooling (for CPU) with noctua nfa12x25 and Phantek T30
Memory 32gb Gskill 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 dual asus deshrouded with 120mm NF-A12x25
Storage 2tb samsung 990 pro + 4tb samsung 870 evo
Display(s) Asus 27" Oled PG27AQDM + Asus 27" IPS PG279QM
Case Ncase M1 v6.1
Audio Device(s) Steelseries arctis pro wireless + Shure SM7b with Steinberg UR
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair scimitar pro (this mouse need an overall guys pls) + Logitech G Pro wireless with powerplay
Keyboard Sharkoon purewriter
Software windows 11
Benchmark Scores Over 9000 !
To see Intel to get to this point of outsourcing, things in Intel must be really messed up.

Nope, tsmc is for GPUs because tsmc is cheaper than intel fabs obviously.

las

System Name Obsolete / Waiting for Zen 5 or Arrow Lake
Processor i9-9900K @ 5.2 GHz @ 1.35v / No AVX Offset
Motherboard AsRock Z390 Taichi
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32GB G.Skill @ 4000/CL15
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX 4090 Phantom / Undervolt + OC
Storage Samsung 990 Pro 2TB + WD SN850X 1TB + 64TB NAS/Server
Display(s) 27" 1440p IPS @ 280 Hz + 77" QD-OLED @ 144 Hz VRR
Case Fractal Design Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Asus Essence STX / Upgraded Op-Amps
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x / Native 12VHPWR
Mouse Logitech G Pro Wireless Superlight
Keyboard Corsair K60 Pro / MX Low Profile Speed
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
If the following is correct:

then AMD is TSMC's customer numero uno.

Wrong ... It's WELL KNOWN that Apple pretty much owns TSMC. Apple owns the 5nm node FROM 2H 2020 to 2H 2021.

Apple and TSMC did the same thing with iPhone X/Xs. They OWNED the 7nm node, back when AMD used the terrible 12nm GLOFO.

3000 series was the first to use 7nm TSMC, over ONE YEAR after Apple was spitting 7nm arm SOCs out to the public. 2000 series would never have used that terrible GLOFO FAB if TSMC 7nm was ready, but it was not - Apple owned the production at this point.

Every single new TSMC node, Apple gets prio for ~1 year. Google it. It's their biggest customer.

Intels TSMC orders are for GPUs, not CPUs.

Processor Intel Core i5 8400
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370N-Wifi
Cooling Silverstone AR05
Memory Micron Crucial 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX1080 G1 Gaming 8G
Storage Micron Crucial MX300 275GB
Display(s) Dell U2415
Case Silverstone RVZ02B
Power Supply Silverstone SSR-SX550
Keyboard Ducky One Red Switch
Software Windows 10 Pro 1909
What is that all-chinese thing between Zen 4/RDNA 3 and Snapdragon 875?
Broadcom: high-speed network processors.

I don't know specifically what there are though

System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Motherboard Asus Z690-Plus TUF Gaming WiFi D5
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 240mm AIO
Memory PNY MAKO DDR5-6000 C36-36-36-76
Video Card(s) PowerColor Hellhound 6700 XT 12GB
Storage WD SN770 512GB m.2, Samsung 980 Pro m.2 2TB
Display(s) Acer K272HUL 1440p / 34" MSI MAG341CQ 3440x1440
Case Montech Air X
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 25
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys
Software Lots

Intel doesn't invest nearly as much on Foundry as TSMC. Intel has about 40% more revenue than TSMC, and only about 10% more actual $$ into R&D. But Intel is not just a foundry, it's more like AMD + TSMC + Qualcomm + Nvidia combined. Heck, they even make compilers and other software. This may be their real problem long term - they are not focused enough and aren't investing enough R&D to be the best in all those diverse fields.

Intel doesn't invest nearly as much on Foundry as TSMC. Intel has about 40% more revenue than TSMC, and only about 10% more actual $$ into R&D. But Intel is not just a foundry, it's more like AMD + TSMC + Qualcomm + Nvidia combined. Heck, they even make compilers and other software. This may be their real problem long term - they are not focused enough and aren't investing enough R&D to be the best in all those diverse fields.
I think Intel lost Calvinist principles and that has hurt them for being progressive. You cannot be progressive in an engineering science. If it works, you don't break it. Somehow this wasn't enough for the progressives in the company. Good old rebel youth tearing down the IBM patriarchy all over again...

System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Case Montech Air X
Software Lots
I think Intel lost Calvinist principles and that has hurt them for being progressive. You cannot be progressive in an engineering science. If it works, you don't break it. Somehow this wasn't enough for the progressives in the company. Good old rebel youth tearing down the IBM patriarchy all over again...

That's probably part of it. The other thing is that they get rotating incompetent / wrong skilled leaders - MBAs like Bob Swan (Intel CEO) running a design/fab business.

Lisa Su is probably the biggest asset AMD has, she has a set of engineering accomplishments longer than my arm and is the author of many patents. Compare to Bob Swan. CFO turned CEO. dime a dozen MBA.

Like this from 2002 :

Capture.PNG

They also have some of the most insane margins in the Si making business, this flagrant excuse of not "focused enough" is almost playbook Intel. They were "focused enough" when releasing Conroe, more than focused when they bribed OEMs all those years back, still focused on gimping competition's performance on their compilers, always focused on highlighting their process (node) leadership until just last year, kinda hyper focused on numbers (benchmarks) till they got beat nearly across the board with zen2 et al.

The single biggest(?) reason IMO for Intel being in a position where they are now is because of their "focus" on milking their base relentlessly, especially when there was little to no competition from AMD. They could've easily launched a hexa core mainstream chip a decade back but chose not to because they thought users don't need more than 4 cores! Their ULV chips were even more ridonculous, dual core i7 till 2017 IIRC :shadedshu:

The fact is Intel relied too much on exploiting the latest process node to extract maximum margins for their lineup. At one point, when AMD launched 25x 20 (efficiency) target, in 2014 AMD was stuck on 28nm for their APU & 32nm for the rest of of the FX lineup, while Intel already moved to 14nm FF with a 2-2.5 node lead.

AMD even in the past have shown that they've competed well with Intel on similar nodes, pre Bulldozer, or even beaten them at times with a node disadvantage. If Intel's only/main strategy was based on outcompeting their rivals with a better node than they obviously never thought of that thing called Physics!

Last edited:
System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Case Montech Air X
Software Lots
The fact is Intel relied too much on exploiting the latest process node to extract maximum margins for their lineup. At one point, when AMD launched 25x 20 (efficiency) target, in 2014 AMD was stuck on 28nm for their APU & 32nm for the rest of of the FX lineup, while Intel already moved to 14nm FF with a 2-2.5 node lead.

That's really just a variant on my comments about the bean counters moving in, and the earlier post about them losing their Calvinist roots.

Intel was originally founded by a couple of chemists and a physicist. One of those guys (Andy Grove) was the CEO until the late 1990s. To give an idea of what he was about, I found this :
"People here aren't afraid to speak up and debate with Andy."[16] They termed this style "constructive confrontation."[13] According to Grove's successor at Intel, Craig Barrett, "It's give and take, and anyone in the company can yell at him. He's not above it." Grove insisted that people be demanding on one another, which fostered an atmosphere of "ruthless intelligence."

Once Grove left, the bean counters took over. By bean counter, I mean the people who make strategic decisions based on financials and little else. Rather than doing the hard work of being an innovative engineering company, they do things like what you talked about. This happens to most big corporations at some point. The hard working, smart, innovative people who build it and make it successful move on or pass away, and these worthless money changer / bean counters move in. It happens to every big company at some point and if AMD is around long enough and gets big enough, it'll happen to them too.

System Name Forgal
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Asus RoG Strix X570-E Gaming
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
Memory 4x16 GiB Crucial Ballistix PC4-28800, 16-18-18-38
Video Card(s) MSI Suprim Liquid GeForce RTX 4090
Storage 2 TB ADATA XPG SX8200Pro + 4 TB S860 + NAS
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF + LG 32UD99-W
Case Fractal Design Define 7 Compact
Audio Device(s) Audioengine HD3 + S8
Power Supply Super Flower SF-1000F14TP Leadex V P130X-1000 Pro
Mouse Razer DeathAdder 2
Keyboard Leopold FC900R OE mx-brown
Not all bean counters are bad. Perhaps we should draw the distinction between leaders that have long-term vision and those that are focused solely on creating the appearance of short-term success.

That's really just a variant on my comments about the bean counters moving in, and the earlier post about them losing their Calvinist roots.

Intel was originally founded by a couple of chemists and a physicist. One of those guys (Andy Grove) was the CEO until the late 1990s. To give an idea of what he was about, I found this :
"People here aren't afraid to speak up and debate with Andy."[16] They termed this style "constructive confrontation."[13] According to Grove's successor at Intel, Craig Barrett, "It's give and take, and anyone in the company can yell at him. He's not above it." Grove insisted that people be demanding on one another, which fostered an atmosphere of "ruthless intelligence."

Once Grove left, the bean counters took over. By bean counter, I mean the people who make strategic decisions based on financials and little else. Rather than doing the hard work of being an innovative engineering company, they do things like what you talked about. This happens to most big corporations at some point. The hard working, smart, innovative people who build it and make it successful move on or pass away, and these worthless money changer / bean counters move in. It happens to every big company at some point and if AMD is around long enough and gets big enough, it'll happen to them too.
May I disagree?
Once again, there is nothing wrong with bean counting. The bigger problem is bean counting and nothing else... it is the loss of industriousness & work ethic.
You cannot move past prior ruling. If you don't follow the rules, you lose track of which rules to follow.
It is like the socratic dilemma. Societies which uphold the law sector are amoral since people cannot behave without a moral compass. More laws don't mean more morality, in fact less.
This is the endeavour of creative minds versus established assets. If you tax more, creative minds lose. It is all a system level manufactured result. You keep overturning the modus operandi.
There was an nvidia developer giving a conference on neural networks. What he stated was, if the system selects for algorithms that are ranked 'for' the most favourable candidate, you didn't develop the best optimised algorithms. They got lost in one to one with the known best. Instead, if you kept comparing them in a secondary position 'equal or better' target, you suddenly developed secondary branches that further down the line toppled and improved upon the ranking leader.
I think Intel narrowed their focus. Suddenly, they lost track. Happens in a competitive medium if you mistake your opponent for your own image. The narrative shifts quickly when you start speaking for the whole and not just yourself. Your lose your voice.
What Intel can do, is return to Hyperthreading marketing. There was a time people didn't know past the purchase of performance. It was not an actual metric, but it was an Intel trademark. It was different than Intel trying to catch wind of its competition. It gives the narrative away.

Processor 5900x
Motherboard MSI MEG UNIFY
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 360mm
Memory 4x8GB 3600c16 Ballistix
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra
Storage 1TB SX8200 Pro, 2TB SanDisk Ultra 3D, 6TB WD Red Pro
Display(s) Acer XV272U
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Ducky One 2
Broadcom: high-speed network processors.

I don't know specifically what there are though
I'd be willing to bet near anything on 5G chips.

System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Case Montech Air X
Software Lots
Not all bean counters are bad. Perhaps we should draw the distinction between leaders that have long-term vision and those that are focused solely on creating the appearance of short-term success.

Successful leaders in large technology companies tend to have backgrounds that let them understand what their company is doing.
MS CEO : Masters in engineering first, 10 years as an engineer, then MBA
AMD CEO : PhD in engineering with 15 years of experience as an engineer
TSMC CEO: Mark Liu, PhD in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
Qualcomm CEO: Steve Mollenkopf 7 years as an engineer with Qualcomm, then went into engineering leadership, been with them since 1994
Nvidia CEO: Jen-Hsun Huang Masters in Electrical Engineering, co-founded Nvidia after 14 years of work as an engineer for LSI and AMD

And then there's Intel.

Edit: Despite my criticism of Intel, I am of the opinion that the pendulum is about to shift and by this time next year Intel will have effectively crushed AMD's performance lead and left them in the bargain bin. That's just my opinion based on what I'm seeing, time will tell.

Last edited: