• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

270x Downgrade bios to 7870 for M91p motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

i could really need your help.
I got a MSI RX 470 8GB and might have the issue with the whitelist on my Lenovo IS6XM Rev 1.0 Mainboard.

Fortunately i found this great thread of yours: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...870-for-m91p-motherboard.237389/#post-3731515

and tried to follow it. I loaded the GPU BIOS with GPU-Z and opened it in the HxD Editor. When Searching for "PCIR" i only get one result: 02 10 DF 67. I changed it to 02 10 18 68, so it should resemble an HD 7870 - but the HxD marks it in red color then. Since there's no second PCIR entry i tried to go on, saved the *.rom-file and tried to get a new CRC with Anoraks-AMD-VBIOS-CRC-checker.

The result is the same with the original saved BIOS: 0x37

I guess i'm stuck here - can someone please help me? The original file and my first attempt are in the attachement. If you need more information/files, please let me know :)

Thank you very much in advance.
You missed the first PCIR. And editing the GOP image(which is what you did) doesn't require fixing the checksum. Anyway, I fixed it for you.

Hold on...forgot something...BRB...done!

Attachments

• RX 470 Mods.zip
    329.6 KB · Views: 412

IronSim

Thank you very much MrGenius :) I really appreciate your fast help.

Unfortunately none of the Mods worked for me.

I used the latest ATIFlash (AMD/ATI ATIFlash 2.87) from here https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ati-atiflash/ run it as Administrator in Windows 10 Pro and loaded in your modded BIOSes. After clicking on "Program" it looked good and even wanted a restart - but even in my other computer, which takes the card natively, i get no Gisplay output from the RX 470.

I remember having seen a tutorial for flashing with a usb Stick and FreeDOS - but the newest ATIFlash version doesn't come with the atiwinflash which is required for eg: atiwinflash -f -p 0 7870.rom

Can you please help me again? What am i doing wrong?

I flashed the RX 470 back to my original.rom

Thank you again in advance

System Name Sham Pc
Processor i5-2500k @ 4.33
Motherboard INTEL DZ77SL 50K
Cooling 2 bay res. "2L of fluid in loop" 1x480 2x360
Memory 16gb 4x4 kingstone 1600 hyper x fury black
Video Card(s) hfa2 gtx 780 @ 1306/1768 (xspc bloc)
Storage 1tb wd red 120gb kingston on the way os, 1.5Tb wd black, 3tb random WD rebrand
Display(s) cibox something or other 23" 1080p " 23 inch downstairs. 52 inch plasma downstairs 15" tft kitchen
Case 900D
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply xion gaming seriese 1000W (non modular) 80+ bronze
Software windows 10 pro x64
did you wait for windows to fully boot when testing after the flash?

IronSim

As far as i know Windows isn't booting at all.

I've got two machines i can test on:
My main PC:

Main PC:

OS
MS Windows10 64bit

Processor
Intel Core i5 6600K 4x 3,5 GHz

Mainboard
ASRock Z170 Extreme4 Intel Z170 So 1151

RAM
2x 8 GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 2400

HDD
1x SSD 512 GB Samsung 850 Pro, 2x HDD 2 TB WDC WD20EZRX-00D8PB0

Graphic
MSI RX470 8 GB

Case
Corsair Graphite 730t

PSU
Be quiet! Pure Power CM BQT L8-CM-630W

Fan Controller
Lamptron FC6 Fan Controller

and my second, which has the whitelist-Mainboard issue:

OS
MS Windows10 64bit

Processor
Intel Xeon E3-1220 4 x 3,1 GHz

Mainboard
Lenovo IS6XM Rev 1.0 Sockel 1155

RAM
12GB DDR3 RAM (4x3GB)

HDD
2x SSD Samsung Evo 120 GB, 1x HDD WD 250GB

Graphics
MSI RX470 8 GB

Case
Lenovo ThinkStation E30 Standard

PSU
600 Watt nitrox IT-7600SG

For flashing i used my Main PC since the Mainboard there accepts the MSI RX 470 8GB natively.

This is what i did:

I used the latest ATIFlash, run it as Administrator in Windows 10 Pro (This is a GUI version - no cmd) and loaded in your modded BIOSes. After clicking on "Program" it tells me "successfull" and wants a restart. I think after this restart even Windows is not booting - i wait for 5 minutes and nothing happens (No display output, no network connectivity via TeamViewer eg - and i only need to push the power button very short to shut the PC down). Then i put the card into my second PC and same here - Lights and fans start, but no display, network...

hope this explains everything. I really appreciate any help :)

Thank you in advance

System Name Sham Pc
Processor i5-2500k @ 4.33
Motherboard INTEL DZ77SL 50K
Cooling 2 bay res. "2L of fluid in loop" 1x480 2x360
Memory 16gb 4x4 kingstone 1600 hyper x fury black
Video Card(s) hfa2 gtx 780 @ 1306/1768 (xspc bloc)
Storage 1tb wd red 120gb kingston on the way os, 1.5Tb wd black, 3tb random WD rebrand
Display(s) cibox something or other 23" 1080p " 23 inch downstairs. 52 inch plasma downstairs 15" tft kitchen
Case 900D
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply xion gaming seriese 1000W (non modular) 80+ bronze
Software windows 10 pro x64
I dont know if that system has the same white list (but probably does due to it being from the same basic line) i did have a quick look and all i can see is they came with Intel integrated gpu (igpu on the cpu) or a radeon discreet gpu. Unfortunately it does not say Which radeon gpu.
on a side note,
Did you update the motherboard bios before you tried the GPU??
I had to update my bios to get the latest white list that had the 78xx cards in the list They were added after an update.

having said that there should be no reason that the GPU wouldn't work in your z170 board.. But from my personal expirience. On the known working system i was testing the gpu with, I did not get an image at all until windows had booted, but once i verified it worked on the test system it worked fine on the lenovo.

D

Deleted member 163934

I got a MSI RX 470 8GB and might have the issue with the whitelist on my Lenovo IS6XM Rev 1.0 Mainboard.

When Searching for "PCIR" i only get one result: 02 10 DF 67. I changed it to 02 10 18 68, so it should resemble an HD 7870 - but the HxD marks it in red color then.

470 and 7870 are from distinct gpu families. Yes both GCN but the differences are big. At best I would had expected problem with the drivers in Windows (Windows unable to load the amd drivers or crashing while trying to load the amd drivers), you supposed to edit the .inf so it points to the right section (win 10 won't like that and it might happy want to start from begining with the drivers for 7870 and can happy crash...).

The 470 has dual bios?

You have integrated gpu try to set the mb to always use it and then put back the 470, boot in windows (mb should be able to boot in windows after all the gpu is not physicaly damaged, but well it might hang when trying to detect the pci-e device...) and see if u can flash it back with the original bios (no clue if this gpu can be flashed in DOS, I always liked to flash bioses in DOS, less trouble, but well lately they no longer provide tools for DOS...) (I wrote see because well it might not detect anything in the pci-e slot and things gets complicated here...).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll take another look at it here in a little while. Kinda busy ATM. I'm not sure what the issue would be to make it act like that though. Secure boot maybe? Try turning it off(if it's on). And/or use DDU to uninstall any drivers before installing the card with the modded BIOS. I don't know. Maybe I screwed something up. Can't think of what. But I'll redo it and compare results. Be patient. I'll get to it pretty soon.

IronSim

Thank you all for your replies :)

i updated the Lenovo IS6XM Rev 1.0 to the last BIOS version i could find from july 2014: https://support.lenovo.com/us/de/downloads/ds018245.

Neverthless the card should be working on the ASRock Z170 Extreme4 with the Mod first, am i right?

As far as i know the MSI RX 470 8GB doesn't have a dual BIOS (if you mean the switch like here: https://www.evga.com/support/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=59440)

Flashing back to the original backup of the GPU BIOS was for me always possible.

But i'm still confident that it will work - another person seems to have it running: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkC...Not-Booting/m-p/3978522/highlight/true#M22508

I'll test the BIOS settings and let you know if any of this worked :)

Thank you again in advance - you're awesome

I added 2 screenshos from the ATIFlash and GPU-Z maybe this helps?

Attachments

• ATIFlash.jpg
    ATIFlash.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 686
  • GPU-Z.jpg
    GPU-Z.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 578
Last edited:

IronSim

I checked both BIOS - both have the latest availible and both have Secure boot disabled.

I tried again all 3 received BIOS mods on the ASRock Z170 Extreme4 but none would let me boot into Windows afterwards.

Any new ideas?

Thank you all in advance

I tried again all 3 received BIOS mods on the ASRock Z170 Extreme4 but none would let me boot into Windows afterwards.

Any new ideas?
I can't figure out why that would be happening. It makes no sense to me at all. It's like your card has the same sort of BIOS protection as Vega(or something?). Which is, literally, unheard of. AFAIK it shouldn't be like that unless it's a Vega(or Radeon VII/Vega 20).

Anyway, I went back over what I did and can't see anything I did wrong. I did come up with a few more shots in the dark you can try. What I originally did was change both instances of the Device ID and updated the AMD GOP to a patched version of 1.67. Which should let you use the card with UEFI features enabled(except possibly secure boot). Which should work just fine. Apparently not. Maybe your card isn't compatible with v1.67? Or won't work with a patched GOP image? Or WTF? I haven't a clue...:wtf:

All I can think to do at this point is try a couple of the earlier AMD GOP versions(patched to work with an edited BIOS), and try with the same version(not patched, UEFI features won't work when enabled). So I made some with patched versions of 1.65 and 1.66. And some that I changed nothing but the Device IDs(with the original AMD GOP v1.63, unchanged except for the Device ID). If none of these work...I'm out of ideas...ATM anyway. :(

Attachments

• RX 470 Mods 2.0.zip
    988.6 KB · Views: 353

IronSim

Thank you again for your help. I'll check everything on friday/saturday when i'm home from my business trip and tell you if anything helped :)

Until then - i wish all of you a nice week :)

IronSim

I'm done with another testing. I tested all 9 sent BIOS versions from MrGenius - unfortunaltely none of them seems to be working :(

I was testing with the following:

ASRock Z170 Extreme4 Intel So 1151
- Secure Boot Disabled
- Primary Graphics Adapter: Onboard
- IGPU Multi-Monitor: Disabled (on activated stays always on internal GPU, o deactivated switches to PCIe GPU as soon as recognized)

3 Monitors were plugged in: 2x HDMI, 1x DVI - DVI and 1x HDMI are plugged into the MSI RX 470 8GB and 1x HDMI is plugged into the Mainboard.
When starting with these settings and the original GPU BIOS, all 3 monitors are working and the PCIe card is recognized.

When flashing (Same way i did before with ATIFlash GUI version out of windows) any of the modded GPU BIOSes the booting takes 2-5 minutes and only one monitor is recognized (HDMI onboard). GPU-Z starts up with a Intel GPU but i can switch to the RX 470 (but i don't know if this my be cached somehow).

Any more ideas how this could get working?

Thank you again very much for your help and effort :)

IronSim

Hi alltogether,

since i didn't notice any response for my last reply - what would you reccomend me to do next?

Do you need any more information/files from me?

Would you reccomend to switch my Mainboard/CPU?

Thank you very much :)

Jayouth

@MrGenius This thread is probably necro, but this is the only place ive seen something even remotely close to my problem. So im wondering if you could help. I have a rx580 which wasnt running in my m91p system, i updated the bios and it seems things got worst. Now my system wont even shut down properly and i have no idea what to do. could you offer some help

Rahkshi

Here is my HIS RX470 4GB Bios. No way to let this VGA boot on M81 IS6XM mainboard.

I changed its device id to hd 7870 id by PolarisBiosEditor (PBE). Windows (in other system) still recognize it as RX470, and game smooth. But can't boot on M81 :(. Someone please help me :(.

*Update: YAHOO !!! I SOLVED IT MYSELF.

I use only PolarisBiosEditor

Note: Update your M81 mainboard to lastest Bios FIRST to recognize 7870.

First I open my HIS RX470 4GB Bios Rom.
Then I open HIS HD7870 Bios rom in the other PolarisBiosEditor. A bit error but click Continue, it still display the 7870 rom.
Change ALL ID of RX470 to HD7870.
Then save it as a Modded Bios.

I posted my Modded RX470 bios below. You can try using it to all RX470 4GB, i think so. Please note: backup your ORIGINAL Bios.

Attachments

• HISRX470-Mod7870ver3.rar
    108 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:
Hello everyone.

Thanks to this thread, I have managed to change my LPP RX560 BIOS to allow it to be booted on my M91p. Thank you.

However, when I try to install the drivers for the GPU, I keep getting Code 43 in Windows Device Manager. Is there any way around this?

Charlie_59

A little update for this topic.

I've been chatting with a guy who PMed me about changing the Device ID of his RX 570 so he could run it on his Lenovo M81 motherboard. He wanted to try an HD 7850 Device ID. I didn't get back to him in time before he figured out how to do it on his own. He tried the HD 7850 Device ID first and it didn't work. Then he tried an HD 7750 Device ID and it did work. He also reports that the drivers installed fine for an RX 570, even with the HD 7750 Device ID. And everything works perfectly. Soooooooo...yeah. That does work...apparently. Which is pretty cool.

Bottom line: F#$% GPU WHITELISTS!!! Just change your Device ID to whatever works and carry on like it never happened. :pimp:

Oh...and if you want UEFI GOP functionality...there's a way to keep that too. You can figure that out on your own...or ask me. Not going to go into the finer details at this juncture. Just know it can be done, and it's relatively quick and easy. More on that later...maybe...
Hi, I know this post it's kinda old but since it's the only one that I could find about this, I want to ask you if you think an rx570 from Gigabyte will work on a ThinkCentre m91p? With the modded bios that you provided.
Thanks in advance, I would really like to know before I get the card

Dagos

So just to confirm how to do this. You edit both of the ids after the PCIR, you fix the CRC and then throw it into the GOP updater with hellm's magic? I'm just wondering because I made custom bios for my RX 470 and I want to know if I did the process right before I flash it.

Wazeryon

Hello everyone.

Thanks to this thread, I have managed to change my LPP RX560 BIOS to allow it to be booted on my M91p. Thank you.

However, when I try to install the drivers for the GPU, I keep getting Code 43 in Windows Device Manager. Is there any way around this?

Hello everyone, I have a IS6XM REV 1.0 motherboard and I would like to add an ASUS (AREZ) RX 560 2GB.

Actually It doesn't works but I would like to know if anyone have modded the same bios ?
Or else, can you specify the part of 18 "FF" values to add at the end of rom?

Is it possible to flash BIOS without an igpu and only this graphic card?

Thanks in advance to your reply :)

Lapanjo

Do you happen to have this bios with samsung memory?
Here is my HIS RX470 4GB Bios. No way to let this VGA boot on M81 IS6XM mainboard.

I changed its device id to hd 7870 id by PolarisBiosEditor (PBE). Windows (in other system) still recognize it as RX470, and game smooth. But can't boot on M81 :(. Someone please help me :(.

*Update: YAHOO !!! I SOLVED IT MYSELF.

I use only PolarisBiosEditor

Note: Update your M81 mainboard to lastest Bios FIRST to recognize 7870.

First I open my HIS RX470 4GB Bios Rom.
Then I open HIS HD7870 Bios rom in the other PolarisBiosEditor. A bit error but click Continue, it still display the 7870 rom.
Change ALL ID of RX470 to HD7870.
Then save it as a Modded Bios.

I posted my Modded RX470 bios below. You can try using it to all RX470 4GB, i think so. Please note: backup your ORIGINAL Bios.

View attachment 124736

Wazeryon

I have modded the bios and I think gpu is broken.
It works at the first boot but when the official driver is installed, windows crashing with orange/pink screen.

Can you tell me if it's possible to fix that?

encho

Hello All,Many thanks for the info that is here on that forum. Long story short, I've got Lenovo m91p and got to the same issue while trying to add pcie video (Powercolor R7 240 2GB) to the configuration. It was stuck at POST , so after 1-2 days of investigation and trying different PSU, also tried the GPU on another PC etc. i've managed to get it working with the FIX explained here. To be honest i was hoping at the end to find a BIOS for that motherboard with complete removed "Whitelist" unfortunately i had to mod the GPU Bios. Still not he perfect result due to Black Screen before login, but much better to have it working than not working at all. If you follow the summerized instruciton from you will have it working. Just to give you a hint, if the checksum is not equal experiment with adding/removing "FF" , but you have to adjust the length to be the same with the one from the GPU bios. If you managed to get the checksum right but your modified rom is shorter than the original extract, put "00" till you get to the same lenght as rows :) If any questions I'll be glad to help.

Have fun!!!

Gintaras41

Hello everyone,

Im having the same problem as everyone here, Lenovo M91p does not like Radeon graphic cards. Mine is Asus R9 270x DC2OC-2GD5.

I have tryed to modify Bios file but had no luck, maybe someone could help me out with this im uploading both, Original and modified bios files

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Roms.zip
    191.7 KB · Views: 332

unicata

hi, i tried to change hardware id of msi r9 390x, but after the flash i still haven't did it, can you tell me what program are you using or where problem may occur?
i used ati/amd flasher, can you recommend another program?
one more thing: is the id of 7850 will be enough for lenovo m81?

Status
Not open for further replies.