• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Samsung and SK Hynix to Impose Sanctions Against Huawei

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
Ever since the Trump administration imposed sanctions against Huawei to stop it from purchasing parts from third-party vendors to bypass the ban announced back in May, some vendors continued to supply the company. So it seems like some Korean manufacturers will be joining the doings of the US government, and apply restrictions to Huawei. According to the reports of South Korean media outlets, Samsung Electronics and SK Hynix will be joining the efforts of the US government and the Trump administration to impose sanctions against Chinese technology giant - Huawei.

It is reported that on September 15th, both Samsung and SK Hynix will stop any shipments to Huawei, where Samsung already stopped efforts for creating any new shipments. SK Hynix is said to continue shipping DRAM and NAND Flash products until September 14th, a day before the new sanctions are applied. Until the 14th, Huawei will receive some additional chips from SK Hynix. And it is exactly SK Hynix who is said to be a big loser here. It is estimated that 41.2% of SK Hynix's H1 2020 revenue came from China, most of which was memory purchased for Huawei phones and tablets. If the company loses Huawei as a customer, it would mean that the revenue numbers will be notably lower.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
They have probably already invested in fabs located in China that will pick up the load.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
The South Korean chaebols are not going to stand idly by and be used as pawns in a trade war that they have no part in. I imagine that SKH is waiting for the results of the November election to determine their course forward... if the USA makes a sane choice, SKH can reasonably expect this idiotic trade war to end soon after, and they can afford to bleed a little cash until then.

If not, SKH and the other chaebols are going to take a long hard look at whether it makes financial sense to continue operating in the USA, or just pull out and continue to trade with China. Of course, if that happens, the only real losers will be US consumers... again.

System Name Fractal
Processor Intel Core i5 13600K
Motherboard Asus ProArt Z790 Creator WiFi
Cooling Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 360
Memory 16GBx2 G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 DDR5 6000 CL30-40-40-96 (F5-6000J3040F16GX2-RS5K)
Video Card(s) PNY RTX A2000 6GB
Storage SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GK950F-B (34"/IPS/1440p/21:9/144Hz/FreeSync)
Case Fractal Design R6 Gunmetal Blackout w/ USB-C
Audio Device(s) Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless/Klipsch Pro-Media 2.1BT
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 850w 80+ Titanium
Mouse Logitech G700S
Keyboard Corsair K68
Software Windows 11 Pro
Typo:

"Samsung Electronics and Huawei SK Hynix* will be joining the efforts of the US government a"

The South Korean chaebols are not going to stand idly by and be used as pawns in a trade war that they have no part in. I imagine that SKH is waiting for the results of the November election to determine their course forward... if the USA makes a sane choice, SKH can reasonably expect this idiotic trade war to end soon after, and they can afford to bleed a little cash until then.

If not, SKH and the other chaebols are going to take a long hard look at whether it makes financial sense to continue operating in the USA, or just pull out and continue to trade with China. Of course, if that happens, the only real losers will be US consumers... again.

Personally I found it rather unlikely that chaebols will choose China instead of access to US technology, and large chunk of western market.
Even if chaebol cease operation in US, due to the fact that their fab also use US technology, it will be difficult to procure completely homebrew replacement, that doesn't rely on US or its allies.
That being said, current SK government is pretty pro-china, with sufficient capital investment from SK and Chinese government, I suppose it is a possible scenario, albeit unlikely.

Worth noting that in this hypothetical scenario, Samsung will still have to compete with Huawei (and numerous ODM/OEM) for Chinese market, unless there are major incentive from China, this scenrio is highly unlikely.

bogmali

In Orbe Terrum Non Visi
System Name Daily Driver/Part Time
Processor Core i7-13700K/Ryzen R5-7600
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX/Asrock B650 Pro RS Wi-Fi
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT AIO/Deep Cool LS-520 White
Memory Patriot 2x16GB DDR5-7200/XPG Lancer Blade 2X16GB DDR-5-6000
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3X OC RTX-4080 Super/Sapphire Radeon RX-7800XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe 2TB/KingSpec XG 7000 4TB M.2 NVMe/Crucial P5 Plus 2TB M.2 NVMe
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW
Case Corsair 5000d AirFlow/Asus AP201 White
Audio Device(s) AudioEngine D1 DAC/Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra 1K Watt/Seagotep 750W
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite
Keyboard Adata XPG Summoner
Software Win11 Pro 64
Benchmark Scores Xbox Live Gamertag=jondonken
I said this on the SMIC news and I believe it also applies here....

Posting in a thread
  • Be polite and Constructive, if you have nothing nice to say then don't say anything at all.
    • This includes trolling, continuous use of bad language (ie. cussing), flaming, baiting, retaliatory comments, system feature abuse, and insulting others.
    • Do not get involved in any off-topic banter or arguments. Please report them and avoid instead.
    • Healthy debates will generally be allowed if the following criteria is met.
      • Useful sources and constructive wording.
      • Maintain the topic that they're taking place in.
      • No insults, trolling, shaming, hate or toxicity.
      • Avoid political or religious comment unless it is specifically relevant to a topic and in those cases is only acceptable if done in an unbiased manner.
      • Once it is considered over, do not drag it on only to have the last word.
      • Short and pointless posts like "yeah", "me too" or "haha" can be made on the rest of the internet, not here. Post count doesn't increase your e-penis.

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
Personally I found it rather unlikely that chaebols will choose China instead of access to US technology, and large chunk of western market.
Even if chaebol cease operation in US, due to the fact that their fab also use US technology, it will be difficult to procure completely homebrew replacement, that doesn't rely on US or its allies.
That being said, current SK government is pretty pro-china, with sufficient capital investment from SK and Chinese government, I suppose it is a possible scenario, albeit unlikely.

Worth noting that in this hypothetical scenario, Samsung will still have to compete with Huawei (and numerous ODM/OEM) for Chinese market, unless there are major incentive from China, this scenrio is highly unlikely.

I think instead of saying the SK government is "pro China", it'd be more correct to say "current SK government is pro 3conomoc growth for their own domestic reasons and benefits", and this is basically true for every government... There's nothing particular about China that any economic or state actor is attracted to other than the lure of profits and being able to claim X.X% GDP growth during election season

The odds of Huawei surviving is getting slimmer and slimmer with these news every other day. One can argue that they can rely on China technology companies, but would you buy a Huawei phone with 45nm or even 28nm SOC? The fact that Chinese phone makers are the ones pushing out cutting edge hardware year after year, and the lack of from Huawei will likely mean a dead end for them. In fact with major suppliers cutting ties with them means they will be out/ on life support system (supported by the government) in the hardware space.

US trying hard to prevent china's tech advancement, i guess the Chinese will wait and see what will happen after the upcoming US elections and decide wither to start doing things at their side of the trade/tech war or be another US puppet state. and maybe this will be the fuel to start the 3rd WW in the next 5-10 years, (US-Japan-india-poland-uk and allies VS China-russia-iran-turkey and allies) and maybe others, who knows.

Processor Intel Core i5 8400
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370N-Wifi
Cooling Silverstone AR05
Memory Micron Crucial 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX1080 G1 Gaming 8G
Storage Micron Crucial MX300 275GB
Display(s) Dell U2415
Case Silverstone RVZ02B
Power Supply Silverstone SSR-SX550
Keyboard Ducky One Red Switch
Software Windows 10 Pro 1909
The odds of Huawei surviving is getting slimmer and slimmer with these news every other day. One can argue that they can rely on China technology companies, but would you buy a Huawei phone with 45nm or even 28nm SOC? The fact that Chinese phone makers are the ones pushing out cutting edge hardware year after year, and the lack of from Huawei will likely mean a dead end for them. In fact with major suppliers cutting ties with them means they will be out/ on life support system (supported by the government) in the hardware space.
They will survive alright, their mobile phone division isn't really that profitable comparing to their cell towers business. They probably earn a bunch of money from their 5G patents too

They will survive alright, their mobile phone division isn't really that profitable comparing to their cell towers business. They probably earn a bunch of money from their 5G patents too

Based on what I have been reading, the technology that they are getting cut off is not just going to impact their mobile phone business, but generally anything tech hardware related, they are going to be crippled. Only question is to what extend they are getting crippled.

Processor Intel Core i5 8400
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370N-Wifi
Cooling Silverstone AR05
Memory Micron Crucial 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX1080 G1 Gaming 8G
Storage Micron Crucial MX300 275GB
Display(s) Dell U2415
Case Silverstone RVZ02B
Power Supply Silverstone SSR-SX550
Keyboard Ducky One Red Switch
Software Windows 10 Pro 1909
Based on what I have been reading, the technology that they are getting cut off is not just going to impact their mobile phone business, but generally anything tech hardware related, they are going to be crippled. Only question is to what extend they are getting crippled.
I suppose you were just using the mobile phone as an example, my bad.

Agreed that they will be crippled, and hard, but I'm pretty sure they will survive with the domestic market. From what I have seen, they will turn to other markets where sanctions are not targeted.
FTR, despite using a Huawei phone, I have no love for the company. They pretty much started the modern Chinese business culture of offering ludicrous bonuses to staff which requires people to work to life-threatening exhaustion to achieve them.

System Name The Endless Road.
Processor R9 5900X under EKWB Quantum Velocity2 block.
Motherboard asrock x570 phantom gaming 4
Cooling EK-XRES 100 Revo D5, EK Quantum Surface 420M (case roof) with 3x140m.m. case fans, pull config
Memory 32Gb DDR4 3600/14 cas
Video Card(s) Zotac RX4080 Trinity, waterblock cooled.
Storage 2 Tb WD Black sn770
Display(s) 32" Gigabyte M32UC 4K/144 Hz
Case Corsair 7000D airflow
Audio Device(s) MB audio feeding a HyperX Cloud 2 wired headset
Power Supply Koolink Continuum 850
Mouse one
Keyboard also one
Software Win 11 Home 64 bit
Benchmark Scores I don't play benchmarks.
Dropping over 40% of their production could put easily SK Hynix out of business.
Samsung are big, but then again, losing so much revenue isn't going to help their bottom line either.
If this absurd trade war continues it's going to have a really, really serious global impact.
Wars have been fought for far less.