• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Quick Look: ICY DOCK ToughArmor MB840M2P-B NVMe Mobile Rack

Darksaber

Senior Editor & Case Reviewer
Staff member
System Name Meshlicious Monster
Processor Intel Core i5-10600T
Motherboard MSI Z490I Unify
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z53 with 2x Noctua Redux 1300 RPM PWM fans
Memory ADATA 16 GB 3200 Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
Storage TeamGroup 1TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Asus ProArt 27" 1440P, 75Hz
Case ssupd Meshlicious with mesh side panels
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion 660 W Platinum ATX
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro Wireless
Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home
The ICY DOCK ToughArmor MB840M2P-B allows you to install M.2 NVMe drives into a full tower chassis and provides potent cooling as well as accessibility with its solid material mix. This gives enterprise or government environments the ability to incorporate enterprise-level NVMe drives quickly and easily.

Show full review

The New England region of the United States
System Name Daily Driver(gaming, browsing)
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aurus Pro Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black
Memory 32GB(2x16GB) Patriot Viper DDR4-3200C16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB (Boot/OS)|Hynix Platinum P41 2TB (Games)|Kingston KC3000 2TB (Misc)
Display(s) Gigabyte G27F
Case Corsair Graphite 600T w/mesh side
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 2.1 | cheapo gaming headset when mic is needed
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Redragon M808-KS Storm Pro (Great Value)
Keyboard Redragon K512 Shiva replaced a Corsair K70 Lux - Blue on Black
VR HMD Nope
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Nope
$84 for a fancy bracket???

Don't get me wrong, I love ICY DOCK products. They are excellent, high quality, usually really innovative. Usually, a bit more expensive but typically worth the extra cost. This is just absurd, way too much more than their less innovative, lower quality competition. I might be able to consider half that price. That is still 3 times the cost of something basic that accomplishes the same task from a competitor. I know you lose the external removal ability but really how many people need that anyway? How many use cases are there for this? Not many, too bad, nice design wasted with an absurd price point. How very Apple Mac Pro wheels of them.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
$84 for a very over complicated dock.
I expected that it could be opened and the drive removed directly so another can be slid in place, without the sled.

The only way this would be worth it is if ID had bothered to do something like put a USB 3.2 Type-C port on the "cartridges." Having dual-interface would've made them *almost* worth the extra cost. Also, not many people are going to want something they have to reach around the back of their case to use. Most of their products seemed to revolve around people having 3.5 and 5.25" expansion bays, and those are now rare.

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
$84 for a very over complicated dock.
I expected that it could be opened and the drive removed directly so another can be slid in place, without the sled.
And what would you do with the removed drive? Stick it in your pocket? At the very least you'd need a 3rd party protective case, which ... well, if your product to use with another product requires the separate purchase of a third product, you're doing something wrong. m.2 drives are far, far too fragile to be handled without any type of sled in a hot-swap environment, especially seeing how removing it would require actually gripping the PCB itself. IMO this looks like a reasonable solution for what it's trying to do.

This is clearly a niche product for a niche use case, but it looks well designed and well built and should do what it's intended for nicely. Paying a small premium for that is expected and perfectly fine.

The only way this would be worth it is if ID had bothered to do something like put a USB 3.2 Type-C port on the "cartridges." Having dual-interface would've made them *almost* worth the extra cost. Also, not many people are going to want something they have to reach around the back of their case to use. Most of their products seemed to revolve around people having 3.5 and 5.25" expansion bays, and those are now rare.
That would make this massively expensive, as it would require a carrier PCB in the sled with some sort of PCIe switching to enable swapping between PCIe and USB use cases. I suppose they could make a removable "end cap" for the sled containing a USB-to-NVMe bridge chip, but that sounds like a niche within a niche within a niche, and something that would be easily lost, so it doesn't make much sense in this context.

i got my hopes super high after seeing the promotional image with a Dan a4 sfx chassis. nice product, but not for a4-sfx i guess