• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Vilfo VPN Router

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Vilfo is a new Swedish company with a pedigree base of VPN software and privacy courtesy of OVPN. The Vilfo VPN router is a privacy-focused router that brings custom router hardware, OpenVPN protocols, and native VPN support to a user-friendly monitoring dashboard in a small but powerful package.

Show full review

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Considering that they use all off the shelf hardware, it's not surprising that it's expensive.
On top of that, their choice of CPU means that there's no hardware encryption support, which suggests that the VPN performance will be utterly slow. The fact that they claim "Vilfo is a Multi-Gigabit VPN router" makes me wonder how they can get away with it, as it's not way this thing can run any VPN at Gigabit speed. Of course, further down on the page it says "Vilfo's powerful processor enables VPN encryption speeds of 500 Mbit/s allowing you to benefit from high-speed internet while staying protected."
They also claim other routers aren't powerful enough to encrypt VPN traffic, is is a blatant lie. Yes, a lot of cheap routers might not be good at VPN, but this isn't a cheap router so...
On top of that, they're using an eight year old Wi-Fi chip, which was a middling offering even at launch and isn't even Wave2 compatible. If they'd gone with something like the 7615, they could even have gotten a chip that does dual band, dual concurrency, which would've solved their single slot dilemma. I would've expected something slightly better for $400, but at least they admit their WiFi is poor on their product page, which they shouldn't have to do.
Not a product I would touch.

Oh and it looks like the board they're using is mostly discontinued, even by the manufacturer.

If only they'd gone with the Celeron J3455 version instead.

@VSG slight typo in the review "The WiFi dongle solution is a Mediatek 7611 chip" and it's not a dongle, it's a mini PCIe card.

Last edited:
Looks like an exercise in how to sell some old, out-of-production Qotom motherboards for huge profit. If you want a good x86 router board, go look at PC Engines APU offerings; lots more horsepower for a lot less money.

Nice features and GUI but for that money the CPU is way to underpowered and no AES-NI.
I was wondering if their GUI and features could be replicated on a more powerful QOTOM box...

gbbg123

Considering that they use all off the shelf hardware, it's not surprising that it's expensive.
On top of that, their choice of CPU means that there's no hardware encryption support, which suggests that the VPN performance will be utterly slow. The fact that they claim "Vilfo is a Multi-Gigabit VPN router" makes me wonder how they can get away with it, as it's not way this thing can run any VPN at Gigabit speed. Of course, further down on the page it says "Vilfo's powerful processor enables VPN encryption speeds of 500 Mbit/s allowing you to benefit from high-speed internet while staying protected."
They also claim other routers aren't powerful enough to encrypt VPN traffic, is is a blatant lie. Yes, a lot of cheap routers might not be good at VPN, but this isn't a cheap router so...
On top of that, they're using an eight year old Wi-Fi chip, which was a middling offering even at launch and isn't even Wave2 compatible. If they'd gone with something like the 7615, they could even have gotten a chip that does dual band, dual concurrency, which would've solved their single slot dilemma. I would've expected something slightly better for $400, but at least they admit their WiFi is poor on their product page, which they shouldn't have to do.
Not a product I would touch.

Oh and it looks like the board they're using is mostly discontinued, even by the manufacturer.

If only they'd gone with the Celeron J3455 version instead.

@VSG slight typo in the review "The WiFi dongle solution is a Mediatek 7611 chip" and it's not a dongle, it's a mini PCIe card.
MY Vilfo VPN Router Review

I use ExpressVPN. I recently got the Vilfo VPN router in November 2022. When compared with other so-called VPN consumer routers WITH QUAD-CORE CPUs(likely from broadcom) from Netgear/ASUS, this still won with it's 2013 CPU
Here is my take on the Vilfo

I was looking for a router/switch solution for VPN while using my ISP’s pretty decent router and extender as tri-band access points.

Turns out when contacting customer service at ExpressVPN their router actually tops out on average at 180 Mbps VPN & wired :rolleyes:.

After doing some research, I settle on taking a chance with Vilfo VPN router fyi pronounced “Wilfo”. Reviews are mixed for it in the past but In my opinion they’ve got a lot of the kinks out of their OS especially with 1.3.0 which is the version I updated to upon receiving it.

Unlike past reviews, As of November 2022, setup was smooth for me. One of the reasons I purchased this device was The fact that it supports multiple providers not just ExpressVPN. As well as the hardware

Here are some pros and cons I found with Vilfo:

PROs:

-1.4 GHz dual-core Celeron processor(designed for a laptop or mini PC)
(Note: OpenVPN is single-threaded as stated by the Vilfo (from some light research Lightway is currently single-threaded ))

-website says 16GB SSD for storage but I received 32GB SSD

-2GB of RAM

-each ethernet port has a dedicated 1 Gbit controller according to the disassembly on techpowerup

-multi-vendor support with custom OpenVPN support for those not listed

-split tunneling, grouping different devices to separate VPN or non-VPN link group(s), Port forwarding, multiple options for email notifications for events, Killswitch, utilization and bandwidth statistics , etc

-regular OS updates with roadmap and transparency on their site

-real world speed test: over OpenVPN:

251.6 Mbps from Maryland to a New Jersey ExpressVPN server to speed test server

-separate VPN server built-in allowing for more secure access anywhere back to your home network (support for windows, and Linux, and Android)
Note: for me this was a huge plus as I haven’t been hit once since using it as my Synology NAS was getting hit with hundreds of hacker attempts a year. (They do however allow you but do not recommend opening the REMOTE WAN BUT RATHER USING THE VPN SERVER which to be honest is a whole lot easier as you get local area access as if you’re in the house. Services on my Synology that gave me trouble accessing via internet now behave as if I’m locally there. :cool:

CONs:
-Only OpenVPN & Wireguard
(no Lightway at least not yet as it’s fairly new and hasn’t gained much traction)

-As mentioned even by Vilfo: Wi-Fi sucks and recommend using your old router or a better one as a access point while using this router as the gateway

-Only (3) LAN ports & (1) WAN port.
In my case I have a 10 port Cisco small business switch already

-cost $400
Likely breakdown:
The unit: $280
DHL shipping $20
1 yr Home Pro subscription $99
(I think they put the subscription in to support themselves as they update more frequently than most vendors in my opinion.)

Last edited: