• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Books Two 3 nm Processor Orders at TSMC Manufacturing Facilities

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
Intel's struggles with semiconductor manufacturing have been known for a very long time. Starting from its 10 nm design IP to the latest 7 nm delays, we have seen the company struggle to deliver its semiconductor nodes on time. On the other hand, Intel's competing companies are using 3rd party foundries to manufacture their designs and not worry about the yields of semiconductor nodes. Most of the time, that 3rd party company is Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC). Today, thanks to some reporting from Nikkei Asia, we are learning that Intel is tapping TSMC's capacities to manufacture some of the company's future processors.

Citing sources familiar with the matter, Nikkei notes that: "Intel, America's biggest chipmaker, is working with TSMC on at least two 3-nm projects to design central processing units for notebooks and data center servers in an attempt to regain market share it has lost to Advanced Micro Devices and Nvidia over the past few years. Mass production of these chips is expected to begin by the end of 2022 at the earliest." This means that we could expect to see some of the TSMC manufactured Intel processors by the year 2023/2024.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600@80W
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS9X OPTIMA
Memory 2*8GB PATRIOT PVS416G400C9K@3733MT_C16
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6750 XT Pulse 12GB
Storage Sandisk SSD 128GB, Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB, Samsung F1 1TB, WD Black 10TB
Display(s) AOC 27G2U/BK IPS 144Hz
Case SHARKOON M25-W 7.1 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Realtek 7.1 onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Core GC 500W
Mouse Sharkoon SHARK Force Black
Keyboard Trust GXT280
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/Win 10 pro 64bit/Manjaro Linux
So, TSMC is much better in manufacturing chips than Intel. Many of us told so for 3 years now and Intel fanboys tried to battle that opinion. Point is, from 2023 and on the only difference between AMD and Intel will be the arch. Interesting times.

Intel said they won't and that they are doubling down on their fabs but I wonder how long they can keep this up and how long till they spin them off because until they do TSCMC (or even Samsung for that mater) will always treat them as 2nd teir customer and semi competitor.

Processor 6700K
Motherboard M8G
Cooling D15S
Memory 16GB 3k15
Video Card(s) 2070S
Storage 850 Pro
Display(s) U2410
Case Core X2
Audio Device(s) ALC1150
Power Supply Seasonic
Mouse Razer
Keyboard Logitech
Software 21H2
I highly doubt TSMC would built CPUs for Intel on its cutting edge node. This seems like BS to me.
Could it be something for the subsidiary companies?

System Name [H]arbringer
Processor 4x 61XX ES @3.5Ghz (48cores)
Motherboard SM GL
Cooling 3x xspc rx360, rx240, 4x DT G34 snipers, D5 pump.
Memory 16x gskill DDR3 1600 cas6 2gb
Video Card(s) blah bigadv folder no gfx needed
Storage 32GB Sammy SSD
Display(s) headless
Case Xigmatek Elysium (whats left of it)
Audio Device(s) yawn
Power Supply Antec 1200w HCP
Software Ubuntu 10.10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1780855 http://www.hwbot.org/submission/2158678 http://ww
I highly doubt TSMC would built CPUs for Intel on its cutting edge node. This seems like BS to me.
Could it be something for the subsidiary companies?
It is not new news... Intel is making i3s on TSMC 5nm and 3nm after, small chips, they are already customers for their fpgas among other things.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
That many fewer substrates for AMD once they get for 3nm
I'll never buy Intel again, not after @R-T-B revealed the hidden microprocessor telemetry crap on them. LOL

AMD to the moon boys!
Can you be more specific? If you are referring to the intel management engine crap, AMD's PSP is no better.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
That many fewer substrates for AMD once they get for 3nm

Can you be more specific? If you are referring to the intel management engine crap, AMD's PSP is no better.

never heard of psp, RIP company overreach and freedom LOL

Yerp, there go perfectly good wafers.

Sadly, AMD too have something akin to this, and it's really called PSP. It also had a few serious vulnerabilities discovered, so things aren't much brighter there. :(

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
No drammmaaaa, said like it is, new low power chip's for ultra portables to compete with arm device's and some server(high value) parts likely to build into their server chips.
I'm more interested in the connotations this lead's to, EMIB @ tsmc, could they licence it to others and wtaf, where's the GPUS then?!.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Yerp, there go perfectly good wafers.

Sadly, AMD too have something akin to this, and it's really called PSP. It also had a few serious vulnerabilities discovered, so things aren't much brighter there. :(

I guess next time I take a piss I'll just start opening my front door and let AMD and Intel and M$ and Google have all the telemetry data they want on my flow rate!!! They want all the info they can have it boys!!! YEEEHAAAA

Processor 6700K
Motherboard M8G
Cooling D15S
Memory 16GB 3k15
Video Card(s) 2070S
Storage 850 Pro
Display(s) U2410
Case Core X2
Audio Device(s) ALC1150
Power Supply Seasonic
Mouse Razer
Keyboard Logitech
Software 21H2
It is not new news... Intel is making i3s on TSMC 5nm and 3nm after, small chips, they are already customers for their fpgas among other things.
Small chips like i3's, plus stuff like Altera and Mobileye. I doubt they would build them Xeons or i9/i7. Apple and AMD won't be amused.

Processor RYZEN 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Aorus B-550I Pro AX
Cooling HEATKILLER IV PRO , EKWB Vector FTW3 3080/3090 , Barrow res + Xylem DDC 4.2, SE 240 + Dabel 20b 240
Memory Viper Steel 4000 PVS416G400C6K
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW3
Storage XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVMe + Samsung 980 1TB
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case NR 200
Power Supply CORSAIR SF750
Mouse Logitech G PRO
Keyboard Meletrix Zoom 75 GT Silver
Software Windows 11 22H2
Apparently they have secured even higher capacity than Apple . This is huge news and could be a real obstacle to AMD execution plan . Personally im not surprised at all , on business point of view it makes perfect sense since it gives them back the process advantage and ties the competitions hands at the same time , i only wonder why didn't they do that sooner . That being said speaking as a consumer that doesn't look good for the long term , i guess we will have to wait and see the real implications of this arrangement .

Point is, from 2023 and on the only difference between AMD and Intel will be the arch. Interesting times.

Actually that is far from being the most important implication of these news. Intel have the financial means to secure tons more capacity than AMD which has the potential to seriously limit AMDs capability to execute roadmap . If Intel plays their hand correctly they can force AMD to always remain on the inferior node in order to be capable of securing enough capacity .

Last edited:
This is ironic because Intel was supposed to compete with its superior EMIB versus TSMC's CoWoS packaging.

Processor 6700K
Motherboard M8G
Cooling D15S
Memory 16GB 3k15
Video Card(s) 2070S
Storage 850 Pro
Display(s) U2410
Case Core X2
Audio Device(s) ALC1150
Power Supply Seasonic
Mouse Razer
Keyboard Logitech
Software 21H2
So, TSMC will screw its long time partners for Intel, this continue to seems to me like BS story.

Apparently they have secured even higher capacity than Apple . This is huge news and could be a real obstacle to AMD execution plan . Personally im not surprised at all , on business point of view it makes perfect sense since it gives them back the process advantage and ties the competitions hands at the same time , i only wonder why didn't they do that sooner . That being said speaking as a consumer that doesn't look good for the long term , i guess we will have to wait and see the real implications of this arrangement .

Actually that is far from being the most important implication of these news. Intel have the financial means to secure tons more capacity than AMD which has the potential to seriously limit AMDs capability to execute roadmap . If Intel plays their hand correctly they can force AMD to always remain on the inferior node in order to be capable of securing enough capacity .
Apple has much-much deeper pockets than Intel. I would be surprised if Apple let Intel outbid them, so at least parts of this story are definitely fake.

Edit: the only way Intel secured more 3nm capacity, if Apple let them. And that would have only happened if the initial 3nm capacity was so low that booking all of it wouldn’t have been enough for any of Apple’s SoCs (or AMD’s chiplets). There is a good chance this whole story has been blown out of proportion: Intel booked most of the initial runs, but quantities will be very-very limited.

Last edited:
WTF, Intel has been operating at 110% for the longest time and they're selling all they can make, apparently TSMC values a manufacturing relationship with them. What would Apple do?

Apple has much-much deeper pockets than Intel. I would be surprised if Apple let Intel outbid them, so at least parts of this story are definitely fake.

Secured being the operative word. With all their money Apple can finally afford to build a fab of their own!

Secured being the operative word. With all their money Apple can finally afford to build a fab of their own!
Apple doesn’t do capital investments on the scale that would be required to build state-of-the-art fabs. They don’t have the know-how and the timeline wouldn’t work either.

Cool "Intel is said to be leveraging TSMC's 3nm manufacturing for mobile CPUs destined for laptops, and data center processors. The data center is an especially important category because of how lucrative it is, and Intel is hoping to regain some of the market share it has lost to AMD with its EPYC lineup."

"Currently the chip volume planned for Intel is more than that for Apple's iPad using the 3-nanometer process," a source told Nikkei Asia. Apple And Intel Are Racing To Deliver Next-Gen 3nm Chips In 2022 Thanks To TSMC

Processor RYZEN 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Aorus B-550I Pro AX
Cooling HEATKILLER IV PRO , EKWB Vector FTW3 3080/3090 , Barrow res + Xylem DDC 4.2, SE 240 + Dabel 20b 240
Memory Viper Steel 4000 PVS416G400C6K
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW3
Storage XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVMe + Samsung 980 1TB
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case NR 200
Power Supply CORSAIR SF750
Mouse Logitech G PRO
Keyboard Meletrix Zoom 75 GT Silver
Software Windows 11 22H2

Edit: the only way Intel secured more 3nm capacity, if Apple let them. And that would have only happened if the initial 3nm capacity was so low that booking all of it wouldn’t have been enough for any of Apple’s SoCs (or AMD’s chiplets). There is a good chance this whole story has been blown out of proportion: Intel booked most of the initial runs, but quantities will be very-very limited.

Yes i do agree that Apple have deeper pockets that being said there are reasons that can justify TSMCs decision to give priority to Intel , if anything else they could use this as leverage in order to make Apple pay more .

I mean everything is possible but the information is coming from Nikkei Asia , that's a serious publisher it's not like this is a rumor someone brought up on reddit or something , hence why i have hard time to buy the ''fake news'' argument .

Also in regards to the low capacity theory , both Intel chips are going to manufacture there concern high volume markets ( mobile and server ) so here again i don't believe this theory holds water . I guess we will know better with time but with the limited information we have right now i still stand on my initial opinion that this could have serious implications on the medium-long term .

Apple doesn’t do capital investments on the scale that would be required to build state-of-the-art fabs. They don’t have the know-how and the timeline wouldn’t work either.

Like the over half-billion USD they promised GT Advanced Technologies to produce sapphire to be chopped up for covers on iPhone 6's? GT went bankrupt after their boules cracked.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
PSP is worse than Management engine IMO, not because it is actually known to be worse, but because we understand what the management engine does (not much) and nearly no one has done research on the PSP.

It scares me for the reason anyone is scared of the unknown: We don't know what it does. It seems to have some tie ins to qualcomm patent wise. That's all I know.

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
This is seriously disappointing....I've been saying it since AMD first released zen....that we consumers/enthusiasts are in peril of going back to intel hegemony and 5% performance gains until AMD reaches 50% market share across all segments....history repeats itself, last time AMD threatened, Intel bribed OEMs....this time, they're just using financial power instead of actually making a better product (but then again, that's par for the course in late-stage, highly concentrated/cartel capitalism)...here's to a return to stagnation