• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

JDS Labs Atom DAC+ and Atom Amp+ Stack

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
JDS Labs is back at it, and today we examine its most popular line of products. The new Atom DAC+ and Amp+ add handy features and updates both inside and out to make for an excellent, affordable, acoustically transparent source stack that meets the needs of pretty much every consumer today!

Show full review

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I heard the original atom stack, and it was impressive. I always regretted selling it. I am quite happy that I retired with my Asgard 2 and Modi 3 setup though, it has served me well last few years.

Have you heard many Class A amps?

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
I heard the original atom stack, and it was impressive. I always regretted selling it. I am quite happy that I retired with my Asgard 2 and Modi 3 setup though, it has served me well last few years.

Have you heard many Class A amps?
I have a $15k Class A amp coming in today for a couple of weeks to be used with this thing:

1639132808089.png

So that will be something else! I have access to a few other Class A, A/B, D amps at a local audio store that I will go to also get some comparisons with a few other flagship headphones, since currently the Susvara will be alone outside of the HE1000se (also here) and the LCD-5 (on the way). These are all of course way different than the Atom stack in terms of value for money and pure output, but it will provide some context on where the sweet spot is for various budgets and also headphones.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Noctua U12S
Memory 32GB @ 3600 CL18
Video Card(s) AMD 6800XT
Storage WD Black SN850(1TB), WD Black NVMe 2018(500GB), WD Blue SATA(2TB)
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G9
Case Be Quiet! Silent Base 802
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME-GX-1000
Been looking into AMP/DAC's the past few weeks. Would be nice to see the comparison between these and Shiit Magni/Modi stack, as they're basically the same price. Along with those, with TPU often being focused on gaming, it would be nice to see a few reviews or even a roundup of sub $200ish AMP/DAC combo's with microphone inputs such as the Shiit Hel2e, Shiit Fulla, Sennheiser GSX 1000/1200, Sound BlasterX G6/X4, etc.

Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard MSI B450i
Cooling CM MasterLiquid Lite 120
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060 Ti
Storage Kingston A2000 NVMe
Display(s) LG 29UM69G
Case SilverStone SG13
Audio Device(s) O2+ODAC
Power Supply Corsair RMx 550W
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Keychron K7
Software W10
Very nice. I remember when they were just making O2/ODAC clones. I wonder how it stacks up today.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Been looking into AMP/DAC's the past few weeks. Would be nice to see the comparison between these and Shiit Magni/Modi stack, as they're basically the same price. Along with those, with TPU often being focused on gaming, it would be nice to see a few reviews or even a roundup of sub $200ish AMP/DAC combo's with microphone inputs such as the Shiit Hel2e, Shiit Fulla, Sennheiser GSX 1000/1200, Sound BlasterX G6/X4, etc.
I'll reach out to Schiit once my backlog is more manageable, and for the gaming/microphone stuff Davor is better suited for that. Basically, anything with a microphone I leave to him since I sound like a guy who's undecided whether puberty is for him or not.

Very nice. I remember when they were just making O2/ODAC clones. I wonder how it stacks up today.
The primary differences will be in the amplifier stage more than DAC itself, at least in terms of what would be tangible differences.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I'm still considering getting this AMP to compare with my Asgard 2. as much as I love my Asgard 2, it can be a bit shouty at time.

Any thoughts on this @VSG can you recommend me an amp for under $130 that will pair well with my HD58X headphones?

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member