• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Aruba Instant On AP22 Wireless Router

The Aruba Instant On AP22 is a WiFi 6 compatible entry-level wireless router with decent speeds and lots of capabilities thanks to its cloud management software. This router is suitable for inexperienced users who need a capable wireless router for their home or small business environment.

Show full review

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Cloud management software, ain't that cute? (BUT IT'S WRONG!)

Leiesoldat

lazy gamer & woodworker
Supporter
System Name Arda
Processor AMD Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570-I AORUS Pro WiFi
Cooling Custom Loop - Aquacomputer, Optimus, EK, Bykski
Memory GSkill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2x16) DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC RX 6800XT
Storage SK Hynix P41 1TB
Display(s) VIOTEK 3440 x 1440 144 Hz Curved
Case XTIA Proto-XL
Audio Device(s) Schiit Modius + Schiit Jotunheim
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 850W Titanium
Mouse Xtrfy MZ1 Zy's Rail Wireless
Keyboard Rainkeebs Yasui - Custom 40% Ortholinear
Software Windows 11 Pro
165 USD ain't bad for enterprise lite access points. I paid 200 each for Unifi AP AC Pro access points in my house. But right now I am not going to get WiFi 6 access points with WiFi 7 certification right around the corner.

The New England region of the United States
System Name Daily Driver(gaming, browsing)
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aurus Pro Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black
Memory 32GB(2x16GB) Patriot Viper DDR4-3200C16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB (Boot/OS)|Hynix Platinum P41 2TB (Games)|Kingston KC3000 2TB (Misc)
Display(s) Gigabyte G27F
Case Corsair Graphite 600T w/mesh side
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 2.1 | cheapo gaming headset when mic is needed
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Redragon M808-KS Storm Pro (Great Value)
Keyboard Redragon K512 Shiva replaced a Corsair K70 Lux - Blue on Black
VR HMD Nope
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Nope
Since apparently TPU is doing this type of stuff now. I'd love to see a review of the Ubiquiti Access Point WiFi 6 Lite for a SOHO / Prosumer WiFi 6 AP comparison. If you really want a good comparison, maybe the more similarly priced Ubiquiti Access Point 6 Pro is appropriate.

I personally have a few of the Ubiquiti AP 6 Lites and they are terrific. Instead of some cloud management portal or premade solution, I opted to set up the Unifi managment software on an old micro pc running Ubuntu. You can easily set it up on almost any PC.

Around 125€ in Europe, but I'm hoping for a HPE firesale at 99€ at the coming months, at that price should be pretty competitive in general for the specs and the enterprise category (ZyXEL NWA50AX costs around 79€ albeit not exactly the same specs)
I really hate networking staff, it's not fun at all.

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
wifi 6 is promising but you need to upgrade the ecosystem to get the benefit of it

• No external storage option
Uhm...this is an entry-model for Enterprise AP, external storage is done by devices that are meant for it. These routers that have NAS functionalities, are always a compromise. Just keep devices separate. If you want this, you go with consumer stuff.
  • An on/off switch could come in handy
It sounds like an good idea but once you mount this to your roof like AP's like this normally are, it's not handy anymore. Often you also power these through PoE so you could power cycle it through the switch / injector.

This is a far cry from Enterprise AP, this is SOHO at best. That's the whole point of Instant On. I'm not the fan of the cloud management but I understand the decision and target audience. It's just not appropriate to call this entry level enterprise as it is not.

To be honest, it is quite expensive for the feature set, compared to Ubiquiti products, although Aruba/HPE brand name also comes at a cost.

This is a far cry from Enterprise AP, this is SOHO at best. That's the whole point of Instant On. I'm not the fan of the cloud management but I understand the decision and target audience. It's just not appropriate to call this entry level enterprise as it is not.

To be honest, it is quite expensive for the feature set, compared to Ubiquiti products, although Aruba/HPE brand name also comes at a cost.
What's left from Aruba now is the shadow of its former glory. The OG crew that made it what is was is long gone and now development and support are left to run-of-the-mill people for cost efficiency, ofc.

It sounds like an good idea but once you mount this to your roof like AP's like this normally are, it's not handy anymore. Often you also power these through PoE so you could power cycle it through the switch / injector.