• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

2nd Gen AMD EPYC Continues Market Momentum with New Customers

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
At the European launch in Rome, Italy AMD today highlighted the growing adoption of 2nd Gen AMD EPYC processors across cloud, enterprise and HPC customers. "Today, we are proud to have new platforms from Dell and new customers adopting 2nd Gen AMD EPYC for cloud, enterprise computing and HPC," said Forrest Norrod, senior vice president and general manager, Datacenter and Embedded Solutions Business Group. "We continue to take the AMD EPYC processor to new heights and are thrilled to have the ecosystem supporting us across hardware, software and cloud providers as we face the challenges of the modern data center head-on."

AMD also announced a new addition to the 2nd Generation AMD EPYC family, the AMD EPYC 7H12 processor. The 64 core/128 thread, 2.60 GHz base frequency, 3.30 GHz max boost frequency, 280 W TDP processor is specifically built for HPC customers and workloads, using liquid cooling to deliver leadership supercomputing performance. In an ATOS testing on their BullSequana XH2000, the new AMD EPYC 7H12 processor achieved a LINPACK score of ~ 4.2 TeraFLOPS, ~11% better than the AMD EPYC 7742 processor.

Highlights
  • Dell Technologies announced five new Dell EMC PowerEdge platforms powered by the 2nd Gen AMD EPYC processor. These platforms were designed from the ground up and optimized to support the features of the new AMD EPYC processor including PCIe 4.0.
  • IBM Cloud detailed how 2nd Gen EPYC processors can support IBM Cloud customer needs in specific areas including helping improve cloud security, better memory bandwidth for big data and analytics workloads and core scaling and breakthrough performance for container workloads. IBM plans to have more to share in 2020 about its performance offerings for clients.
  • Nokia highlighted how 2nd Gen EPYC processors significantly accelerate its Cloud Packet Core system which helps service providers deliver converged broadband, IoT, and machine-type communication services for 5G. In testing, Nokia found its Cloud Packet Core system with 2nd Gen AMD EPYC provided a 2X increase in packet throughput compared to previous systems.
  • ATOS, a global leader in digital transformation, announced Genci is using the 2nd Gen AMD EPYC processors to expand the use of supercomputing for the benefit of French scientific communities. Genci and ATOS are using the 2nd Gen AMD EPYC processor due to its breakthrough performance, efficiency and TCO.
  • OVHcloud, a global cloud provider specializing in delivering industry-leading performance and cost-effective solutions, announced a new high-end hosting instance based on the AMD EPYC 7402P processor. This instance will be available at the end of 2019.
  • TSMC announced its adoption of 2nd Gen AMD EPYC helping power its next generation research and leading process technology.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
Hmmm.....if you haven't bought AMD stock already now is definitely the time to pull the trigger.

Hmmm.....if you haven't bought AMD stock already now is definitely the time to pull the trigger.
Yeah... I wonder how many gamers who - lured by AMD - got into stock speculation will pull the trigger afterwards...

AMD went -1.5% after this event. :)

Processor AMD 7900X3D
Cooling In Win SR36
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Keyboard Logitech G510
Yeah... I wonder how many gamers who - lured by AMD - got into stock speculation will pull the trigger afterwards...

Yep AMD stock will be probably somewhere in the $45 -50 range once they release all of their new products. This quarter should also see a nice uptick in terms of overall revenue with the success of Navi and Ryzen3. I can also see 1st and 2nd gen TR4 chips selling like hotcakes once the 3rd gen drives down the price even further than the 3900x did.

I don't know about stock, but I need those cores badly

Right but on TR4 we should see a 16 core chip hitting 4.8 GHZ with the next chips. If the 3950X has that as 4.7. Hopefully they are still using the top 5% wafers for TR4.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10

Anyone who's been following recent developments knows AMD is doing good right now. It seems to me you are intrested in shortselling AMD so you can buy into the stock for cheap.

Yep AMD stock will be probably somewhere in the $45 -50 range once they release all of their new products.
Do you actually know how stocks are evaluated? Where the value comes from? :)
Anyone who's been following recent developments knows AMD is doing good right now. It seems to me you are intrested in shortselling AMD so you can buy into the stock for cheap.
How do you know they're doing good? Q2 results were bad. Q3 figures will be out in a bit over a month.

Funny how these server CPUs are so uninteresting to this community that a server CPU thread instantly shifts to stock market delusions and Threadripper. :)

Processor AMD 7900X3D
Cooling In Win SR36
Keyboard Logitech G510

:D Hi I don't mind if that happens I am buying shares on a schedule so if it goes down a bit I don't mind. Seriously though right now AMD rules Youtube.

Yes my brother is an accountant and when I said to him in May of 2017 that we should buy AMD stock, he told me "That stock has already been evaluated and the price is what it is". At that time it was $4 a share.

How do you know they're doing good? Q2 results were bad. Q3 figures will be out in a bit over a m
Funny how these server CPUs are so uninteresting to this community that a server CPU thread instantly shifts to stock market delusions and Threadripper. :)

Reaperxvii

Q2 sells were bad because imo everyone knew third gen ryzen and threadripper were coming. So sure amd didnt do well in q2 but I honestly bet Q3 will blow people away ASSUMING they can actually keep things in stock (glaring at you 3900x). It also doesn't help the continued trade war fighting. It's not like AMDs stock is the only one going up and down intels and nvidias are as well. Its just a tuff time to be in that market.

All bias aside AMD is doing an amazing job with these launches and is gaining momentum. They've come along way and I hope they go further.

My only regret is not being financially able to buy in years ago. Instead of at the 20 dollar price point.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2

How do you know they're doing good? Q2 results were bad. Q3 figures will be out in a bit over a month.

Delusions? News flash, but the server market is MASSIVE, and has margins that dominate any other CPU market.

AMD making headway in the server space is fantastic news for their bottom line. Just grabbing 3% of the market would represent a monumental jump in revenue.

AMD cant keep the 3900 in stock, their server parts are doing well, Navi is selling well. Q3 is gonna be good this year.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
Well, the Fed also just lowered interest rate, so that fuels its own brand of wild speculation and market shuffling. And then you have TSMC saying they can’t keep up with 7nm orders, so will AMD be able to meet demand? I bet they are doing all they can to supply EPYC orders, and it’s probably why the 3900X is hard to find.

iO

Processor R7 5700x
Motherboard MSI B450i Gaming
Cooling Accelero Mono CPU Edition
Memory 16 GB VLP
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6700 XT
Storage P34A80 512GB
Display(s) LG 27UM67 UHD
Case none
Power Supply SS G-650
Well, the Fed also just lowered interest rate, so that fuels its own brand of wild speculation and market shuffling. And then you have TSMC saying they can’t keep up with 7nm orders, so will AMD be able to meet demand? I bet they are doing all they can to supply EPYC orders, and it’s probably why the 3900X is hard to find.
TSMC didn't say anything, Digitimes was quoting some "industry insiders".
But that story smells like FUD as it coincidentally pops up right before AMD announces new customers and HPC parts.
Also, TSMC chose Epyc for their new data centers which you probably wouldn't do when you know can't fab enough of them...

Delusions? News flash, but the server market is MASSIVE, and has margins that dominate any other CPU market.
Server market is roughly the size of PC market (revenue-wise). So it's both MASSIVE and just normal.
As for margins: you're making a very basic mistake here. :)
Profit margin may be high in datacenter segment, but that's an impression created by Intel CPUs. Intel asks a lot. And their clients accepted that prices.
AMD is trying to boost sales by selling their CPU a lot cheaper. They'll have much lower margins.
AMD making headway in the server space is fantastic news for their bottom line. Just grabbing 3% of the market would represent a monumental jump in revenue.
Well of course. AMD went from 0.5% to 3%. Revenue figures are public. It's a big improvement.
But they're still a cheap alternative and they don't make money.
And what if they asked as much as Intel does? Who would buy that?
AMD cant keep the 3900 in stock, their server parts are doing well, Navi is selling well. Q3 is gonna be good this year.
Very likely the best revenue they had since Zen came out. Profits: possibly better than before.
Next year is expected to be even better. Much better.
Thing is though: this "financial side topic" started with an uneducated comments about stock that's going to hit "$45-50" and that's just not the case.
The ~$30 we see today is already based on 2020 forecasts and even more optimistic hopes for the future. So at best it'll remain as it is.
If AMD has problems with supply or it turns out 7nm costs more than they expected, stock price will drop.

So I ask all reading AMD fanboys not to put their pension savings in AMD stock. It's really not worth it. :)

Nkd

They are selling everything they make so they will keep gaining more market share. AMD will not have that much lower margins. They are making chiplet design so I think they are making their chips hell of a lot cheaper than intel where they have mostly monolithic design. AMD on top likely has much better yields due to this. They aren't just offering this it for that price for no reason. Probably 100+% profit on each chip.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Case Antec P7 Neo
TSMC didn't say anything, Digitimes was quoting some "industry insiders".
But that story smells like FUD as it coincidentally pops up right before AMD announces new customers and HPC parts.
Also, TSMC chose Epyc for their new data centers which you probably wouldn't do when you know can't fab enough of them...

Pushing back delivery suggests production constraints. I’m sure being a leading node, they are likely in high demand. Of course, Apple also uses TSMC’s 7nm node, and they sell a lot of phones and might even get priority in production.

They are selling everything they make so they will keep gaining more market share.
Selling everything they make has absolutely no implication on market share.
AMD will not have that much lower margins.
They're selling for less and they may have higher costs (especially with the scarce 7nm).
This means lower margins.
They have (much) lower margins now - with Zen/Zen+ products.
They are making chiplet design so I think they are making their chips hell of a lot cheaper than intel where they have mostly monolithic design.
People keep repeating this over an over, but IMO there's really not much thinking on the way.
For AMD making a chiplet CPU should be cheaper than a monolithic chip they would make. Assuming that it's also cheaper than Intel's monolithics is too far fetched.
But most importantly: AMD spends a lot when designing these chips.
AMD on top likely has much better yields due to this. They aren't just offering this it for that price for no reason. Probably 100+% profit on each chip.
I really doubt yields are as good as you think. 3900X is very limited. 3950X may be a collectors item.

In the whole EPYC ROME lineup there's not a single CPU with boost over 3.4 GHz, which is extremely bad.
Yes, they offer more cores at the top end. But other than that, AMD has no answer to Intel's high-clock Xeons. This makes EPYC a poor choice for most buyers. That's not how you gain market share. ;-)

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Case Antec P7 Neo
Intel has waaay more overhead than AMD. They are a much larger company, they own fabs, they have huge marketing budgets, they have big supply chains and deep channels. Die size has always mattered more to Intel for those reasons. They need to make the die below a certain size and sell it in large volumes. AMD, with considerably less overhead, can make a bigger chip than Intel at the same price and should still have better margins. Now if AMD was as big as Intel or at least the two companies were of equal size, it would be a different story. Yes, AMD spends a lot designing chips, but so does Intel, or nVidia, or Apple, or Qualcomm. It's an investment that must be recovered. Intel must recover that investment through high volume sales.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Noctua U12S
Memory 32GB @ 3600 CL18
Video Card(s) AMD 6800XT
Storage WD Black SN850(1TB), WD Black NVMe 2018(500GB), WD Blue SATA(2TB)
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G9
Case Be Quiet! Silent Base 802
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME-GX-1000
People keep repeating this over an over, but IMO there's really not much thinking on the way.
For AMD making a chiplet CPU should be cheaper than a monolithic chip they would make. Assuming that it's also cheaper than Intel's monolithics is too far fetched.

I really doubt yields are as good as you think. 3900X is very limited. 3950X may be a collectors item.

In the whole EPYC ROME lineup there's not a single CPU with boost over 3.4 GHz, which is extremely bad.
Yes, they offer more cores at the top end. But other than that, AMD has no answer to Intel's high-clock Xeons. This makes EPYC a poor choice for most buyers. That's not how you gain market share. ;-)
It's a pretty easy assumption that 8, 8 core chiplets will be easier to produce than one monolithic 56 core chip. It's just simple math. Adding to this is the obvious fact that AMD can turn 8 core defective chiplets into other 48, 32, 24, 16 & 8 core Epycs and 12, 6 & 4 core Ryzen's.

I'm not sure why you'd say Epyc is a poor choice for most buyers. How many companies that need servers in bulk need high-clocked, lower core count CPU's that use a lot of power and in turn need a massive amount of cooling? The Xenon Platinum 9282(56 core) is a 400W CPU, so needless to say it needs massive cooling, same with the 48 core 9242 at 350W(They both cost well over $13,000(8280M is $13,012). Now, for the companies that need that sort of power, sure, Intel is there, but it doesn't seem like something that is needed all that much? Seems like a niche where Workstations often would be a more economical solution.

System Name Scrapped Parts, Unite !
Processor Ryzen 5 3600 @4.0 Ghz
Motherboard MSI B450-A Pro MAX
Cooling Stock
Memory Team Group Elite 16 GB 3133Mhz
Video Card(s) Colorful iGame GeForce GTX1060 Vulcan U 6G
Storage Hitachi 500 GB, Sony 1TB, KINGSTON 400A 120GB // Samsung 160 GB
Display(s) HP 2009f
Case Xigmatek Asgard Pro // Cooler Master Centurion 5
Power Supply OCZ ModXStream Pro 500 W
Mouse Logitech G102
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Minesweeper 30fps, Tetris 40 fps, with overheated CPU and GPU
TSMC announced its adoption of 2nd Gen AMD EPYC helping power its next generation research and leading process technology.

does it mean TSMC can just yoink the CPU after the manufacturing process, instead of just ship to AMD?

Processor R9 5800x3d | R7 3900X | 4800H | 2x Xeon gold 6142
Motherboard Asrock X570M | AB350M Pro 4 | Asus Tuf A15
Cooling Air | Air | duh laptop
Memory 64gb G.skill SniperX @3600 CL16 | 128gb | 32GB | 192gb
Video Card(s) RTX 4080 |Quadro P5000 | RTX2060M
Storage Many drives
Display(s) M32Q,AOC 27" 144hz something.
Case Jonsbo D41
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse g502 Lightspeed
Keyboard G913 tkl
Software win11, proxmox
Benchmark Scores 33000FS, 16300 TS. Lappy, 7000 TS.
Selling everything they make has absolutely no implication on market share.

They're selling for less and they may have higher costs (especially with the scarce 7nm).
This means lower margins.
They have (much) lower margins now - with Zen/Zen+ products.

Not a single server chip has high boost.
Do you know what you're talking about ???
Servers rarely hit boost, no-one cares about it.

it's matching intel per core performance, it has more cores, it's more efficient, it's got more I/O, it got more memory, it got more features, it got better security.
Nichè ?

D

Deleted member 158293

Interesting to read TSMC themselves are adapting Epyc processors.

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95

Got in on it at 2 bucks and change.