• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

3 Screen Eyefinity on Single 7970 GPU

System Name Main Rig
Processor Intel i5-4670K
Motherboard ASRock Z87E-ITX
Cooling Cooler Master Seidon 120M (Push+Pull)
Memory 8GB (2x4GB) G.Skill Sniper 1866 1.5V
Video Card(s) HD 6870 (Waiting on AIB partner R9 290 Release)
Storage WD 600GB VelociRaptor (w/ 60GB SSD Cache) / 2x 64GB SanDisk SSD RAID0
Display(s) 3x Acer 20" @ 1600x900
Case Cooler Master Elite130
Power Supply Seasonic 450W G-Series (80+ Gold)
Software Win7 Pro 64-bit
Well, the title should be fairly self-explanatory. Essentially, I have 3 20" Acer DVI Monitors. Their native resolution is 1600x900. As far as inputs go, it's simple, 1 VGA and 1 DVI.

Previously, I had two GTX 480's running using NVidia Surround. I had two DVI cables connected to the primary card and one connected to the secondary card. This worked quite well for a long time. However, as a Christmas present of sorts, I'm building myself a new rig and giving my old computer to my younger brother.

I planned to use the Bitfenix Prodigy in my new build, so I purchased a single powerful card because Mini-ITX isn't about to allow a crossfire or SLI setup easily. Now, I did my research and am aware that a single AMD card is capable of displaying to 3 or more monitors. The card I purchased, the XFX 7970 Double Dissipation has 2 DVI Outputs, 1 HDMI, and 2 Mini-Display Ports. I knew you couldn't use both DVI ports and an HDMI port, so I purchased these Mini Display Port to DVI Adapters: http://www.mycablemart.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1855

Now, clearly, that was a mistake, because I'm sitting here with 1 DVI plugged in and 2 Mini Display Port to DVI connections to my monitors, and it detects everything, but it simply will not let me enable a 3rd monitor. It detects all 3 and allows me to duplicate two of them, but will not, no matter which combination of connections I use or which monitor I extend or duplicate, it just won't allow me to enable the third monitor without disabling one of the others.

Now, in my brief time researching the problem, I've noticed that a lot of posts and things mention "Active" Display Port Adapters. I had assumed that the adapters I were purchasing were active, but it is clear now that that may not be the case.

Anyone have any experience or insight doing Eyefinity from a single card that they can help me out with?

Thanks ahead of time.

Nice. Pics when you can!

---

Are any screens turning on? Edit: Detects all three allows to duplicate two of them
If so, which screens are turning on? (connections) Edit: won't matter combination you said, still doesn't work..
Are you using adapters? Edit: yes, you said, you are using adapters
. ⇩
. ⇘⇨ Probably a problem with the adapter, as you suggested. That would be my first guess.

⇨⇨ Post pics?

UPDATE:
AMD Eyefinity technology works with games that support non-standard aspect ratios, which is required for panning across multiple displays. To enable more than two displays, additional panels with native DisplayPortTM connectors, and/or DisplayPort™ compliant active adapters to convert your monitor’s native input to your cards DisplayPortTM or Mini-DisplayPortTM connector(s), are required. SLS (“Single Large Surface”) functionality requires an identical display resolution on all configured displays.
You'll need an active adapter according to this.

Here is an active adapter said to support eyefinity: POWERCOLOR Video Adapter ACTIVE MDP TO SL DVI-D AD...

Reference: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/321069-33-eyefinity-card

Last edited:
Also, this might help:

NOT FLEX CARD:

FLEX CARD:

The above image illustrates that when using three monitors with SAPPHIRE FleX series product, all six combinations are useable.

Reference:
http://www.sapphiretech.com/Flex/FleX_Eng_apply.html

System Name Main Rig
Processor Intel i5-4670K
Software Win7 Pro 64-bit
Thanks for the response. I'll be sure to put up some pictures of the final product when I get the Prodigy build put together. I'm going to put my NZXT H2 (Current System) in the NZXT Case Clubhouse with a short review at some point here.

Basically, with what you said and a little more research on my part, I'm fairly certain I understand it now. There actually seems to be a lot of confusion surrounding the subject. Basically, from what I understand, AMD cards are limited to TWO (2) "Legacy" Video Signals. This includes VGA, HDMI, and DVI. In the case of Passive Display Port Adapters, what the card is actually doing is sending a DVI signal over the adapter. (Somewhat similar to the way, when using a DVI/VGA Adapter, that the signal isn't really 'converted' per say, the DVI port just outputs a VGA signal over the 'blade' and 4 pins on one side of the connector) Using an Active Adapter would mean that the card itself is outputting a Display Port signal and the chip in the Active Adapter is physically converting the signal to DVI. (Which as far as I know, is a different signaling standard than HDMI or DVI)

I just wish I had figured this all out before I threw down $25 on two Passive Display Port Adapters. Oh, well, you live; you learn.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Plus
Memory GSkill 8GB Dual Channel DDR4-2800
Video Card(s) MSI GamingX RX580 4GB
Storage Kingston V300 240GB SSD + WD Green 2TB
Display(s) ACER K212HL 27" + Haier 55" + Lenovo Explorer Mixed Reality Headset
Case Enermax Ostrog (Red)
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA B2 750W
Software Win10 64bit
As someone who has dealt with both Eyefinity and Nvidia Surround I can say that Nvidia Surround is much easier and less troublesome. I had the proper adapter with Eyefinity and it still gave me trouble. It would disable itself all the time.

You do know that the Nvidia 6xx series cards can output to 3 monitors with a single card now right? And that you don't need a "special adapter"

System Name Main Rig
Processor Intel i5-4670K
Software Win7 Pro 64-bit
Yeah, I knew with the 6xx series Nvidia finally broke away from the SLI for Surround requirement. In hindsight, I'd have bought a 670 knowing that, but, sadly, having purchased from Newegg, there really isn't any going back now. (At least not cheaply)

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Plus
Memory GSkill 8GB Dual Channel DDR4-2800
Video Card(s) MSI GamingX RX580 4GB
Storage Kingston V300 240GB SSD + WD Green 2TB
Display(s) ACER K212HL 27" + Haier 55" + Lenovo Explorer Mixed Reality Headset
Case Enermax Ostrog (Red)
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA B2 750W
Software Win10 64bit
Yeah, I knew with the 6xx series Nvidia finally broke away from the SLI for Surround requirement. In hindsight, I'd have bought a 670 knowing that, but, sadly, having purchased from Newegg, there really isn't any going back now. (At least not cheaply)

I hear ya mate. I bit the bullet and bought a GTX 660 but my HD7850 is still upstairs waiting to be sold. I know I'm going to lose money but I feel much happier gaming knowing that I won't have any problems.

Good luck...:toast: