• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

300 posts, a thanks to TPU, and Vista programs and booting

System Name HAL_9017
Processor Intel i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI z270 Gaming M7
Cooling Corsair H115i
Memory GSkill 32GB DDR4-3000 Trident-Z RGB
Video Card(s) NVIDIA 1080GTX FE w/ EVGA Hybrid Water Cooler
Storage Samsung EVO 960 M.2 SSD 500Gb
Display(s) Dell U2713
Case In Win 805i
Power Supply CORSAIR RM750
Mouse Razer Mamba TE
Keyboard Corsair Strafe MX Silent RGB
:toast:TPU

So it is about the 1 year anniversary of my Rig. In August of 07, about 3 weeks into the Fall semester, lightning took my HP zd8000 from me. A long story short, insurance cam through and got me 1500 for a new laptop. And the research began for what would be my new love. Rig building.

I went to alot of links, forums, research, and a whole spool of mess to find what I have now. It has been a great experience and a whole lot of fun. I must extend a great thank you to the many members of TPU, for not being such dicks or elitists ([hardforum] and overclockers.net) It seems there is a calmer respect for members here, and very little flaming or nastiness is every really apparent.

As for my 1 year anniversary, I plan on in the winter (once it cools way down, and my Q6600 becomes my apartments primary heater, along with the roomies E6750) I plan on overclocking a bit more.

Now, onto a technical question.

I justt got 4gb of GSkill for my 680i. I plan on putting x64 Vista Ultimate soon. I have seen alot of the program gripes and problems, but one I am a bit curious of. I have a new Seagate drive on its way to install it on. I do not plan on duel booting on the same drive. Period.

Now, Once I get everything set up and running...
how will the info on my XP drive read?
Will it try and interact with the Windows folders?
Will programs still be runnable if I select the XP Drive, and click say, WoW.exe?
Will I be able to access my files from the XP drive? (MP3s, movies, docs, ect)

Ok, now that is out of the way. I know XP will not see my 4gb. However, thats the nature of an x86 32bit OS. However, it only sees 2.8. Now, I have a 8800GTX, with that 768mb of RAM. I believe this has something to do with the issue. However, for future proofing, how can I reset how much Windows is seeing in my GPU RAm, and see more of the physical ram? I would like to be able to use, say at least 3-3.2. hell, my roomie had a 8800GT, and his board saw 3.5.

If anyone can help me on these issues, that would be great. I know, Ultimate is coming. I;m looking forward to it, but I know I still need a few more facts before taking a plunge.

Here's to you TPU,
-Andrew