• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

3570K OC - performance increment

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
That's because I don't have too much money and I want to choose the best for me. :)

ok heres the deal how things in this world works for RMAs etc.

You dont tell then what you did exactly as to the reason your Parts didnt work/died, just say they stopped working and that is it and if you had any error codes from windows itself.

Before Youtube and major forums there were books on how to build and trouble shoot computers- Read them.

The 1st thing to remember always is to take Electro Static Discharge/Static Electricity Precautions.

Since You dont know anything about overclocking right now, dont do it till you build the machine and get a full understanding of how all the hardware works, and Read up on how to overclock such a configuration when you build it. Basically give yourself a few months before deciding to overclock, give the machine a chance to break in.

Personally Select 1 of the 6 CPUs I have posted earlier, whichever is cheaper, they all OC to around 4.3-4.5GHz manually (Non Turbo Mode) Before You even think of overclocking get a Different CPU cooler (Stock units normally come with CPUs- only good for running at Stock) up to Turbo speed- tend to be noisy)

uptech

ok heres the deal how things in this world works for RMAs etc.

You dont tell then what you did exactly as to the reason your Parts didnt work/died, just say they stopped working and that is it and if you had any error codes from windows itself.

Before Youtube and major forums there were books on how to build and trouble shoot computers- Read them.

The 1st thing to remember always is to take Electro Static Discharge/Static Electricity Precautions.

Since You dont know anything about overclocking right now, dont do it till you build the machine and get a full understanding of how all the hardware works, and Read up on how to overclock such a configuration when you build it. Basically give yourself a few months before deciding to overclock, give the machine a chance to break in.

Personally Select 1 of the 6 CPUs I have posted earlier, whichever is cheaper, they all OC to around 4.3-4.5GHz manually (Non Turbo Mode) Before You even think of overclocking get a Different CPU cooler (Stock units normally come with CPUs- only good for running at Stock) up to Turbo speed- tend to be noisy)

I know a little. I have overclocked a friend's computer. Not with multipliers though, it was a locked CPU.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
I know a little. I have overclocked a friend's computer. Not with multipliers though, it was a locked CPU.

ok so you know about FSB overclocking which is good.

its FSB x base clock (or Multiplier) which gets your Operational Clock speed of your CPU

uptech

ok so you know about FSB overclocking which is good.

its FSB x base clock (or Multiplier) which gets your Operational Clock speed of your CPU

And over here, it would be multiplier. If it would be the non-K version, I'd read some info about the turbo multiplier, or if it was named like that, I'd just increase it, that's all. It's simple.

Anyway, by details I didn't mean how to overclock, etc.. I meant the performance difference between overclocked and not and overclocked 2570 and 2570K (4Ghz vs 4.5Ghz).

...and also I've some questions about RMA, as you guys are speaking mostly about the US, I assume, and it differs from country to country and from store to store.

How does it work? I mean, you take the CPU to them, say it's failed, do they instantly give you a new one? Do you have to wait 3 days until they get a new one from their warehouse? Or how else does it work?

System Name Halloween Boo!
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z77-Up7
Cooling Custom Water/ Thermalchill TA 120.3/ Swiftech Apogeee XT/ MCP655/ Swiftech M icrores/ XSPC RX 240
Memory 16G G.Skill trident 2400MHz
Video Card(s) 3 x Radeon 7970
Storage OCZ Revo Drive 240G
Display(s) 24 inch Viewsonic
Case Phobia WayCoolIt Test Bench
Power Supply Nexus 1100 watt
atleast with a PC shop you wouldnt void a warranty of doing it yourself;)

Honestly youre thinking a Lil too much

How do you void a warranty by doing it yourself. Your sounding real wierd.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD

uptech

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
The funniest things void the warranty...

Anyway, I would appreciate it if you'd "walk me through" the RMA process as in my previous post. I assume you've missed it due to a question in the post above.

How RMA's work:

Call the support number or send an email claiming the product is defective. They will decide if it needs RMA and you send the product to an address. If the RMA is approved, after some time they will send you a new product.

uptech

How RMA's work:

Call the support number or send an email claiming the product is defective. They will decide if it needs RMA and you send the product to an address. If the RMA is approved, after some time they will send you a new product.

So you guys don't do it something like this?

"Take it to the service store, tell them it's defected and give it in the original packing, wait for a replacement."

And anyway, if it needs an approvement, they are likely to check if it's been overclocked. :/

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
So you guys don't do it something like this?

"Take it to the service store, tell them it's defected and give it in the original packing, wait for a replacement."

And anyway, if it needs an approvement, they are likely to check if it's been overclocked. :/

if the processor is dead, they cant check to see if it is, They only would check and see if the CPU runs fine at Stock clock and at Turbo Clock thats it.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
if the processor is dead, they cant check to see if it is, They only would check and see if the CPU runs fine at Stock clock and at Turbo Clock thats it.

Exactly. They verify stock operation(stock clocks, memory speeds, with stock cooling, etc) ONLY...anything over and above that, they do not need to test. You can only claim warranty if those things do not work.

Stores do not have the equipment to test for more. However, if you buy a CPU, typically, the store only handles warranty claims for a limited period, and then it's up to the manufacturer, who is more likely to have equipment capable of testing such things.

Things get broken during shipping, etc...stores do not test parts in sealed boxes before sale, so warranty is there to cover that sort of thing. Usually issues caused by such will materialize within a very short period of time, which is why stores only handle short warranty periods in most instances.

Dave, I never actually looked (shame on me)... what are you using for cooler(s)?

Corsair H100. I have two for testing.

Last edited:

uptech

Exactly. They verify stock operation(stock clocks, memory speeds, with stock cooling, etc) ONLY...anything over and above that, they do not need to test. You can only claim warranty if those things do not work.

Stores do not have the equipment to test for more. However, if you buy a CPU, typically, the store only handles warranty claims for a limited period, and then it's up to the manufacturer, who is more likely to have equipment capable of testing such things.

Things get broken during shipping, etc...stores do not test parts in sealed boxes before sale, so warranty is there to cover that sort of thing. Usually issues caused by such will materialize within a very short period of time, which is why stores only handle short warranty periods in most instances.

Corsair H100. I have two for testing.

Well if they test if it's working and it isn't, there still must be a way to find it out. Like different electronics degradation inside the CPU, to see if it's been overclocked or not. Or am I tripping here? There MUST be a way to find out about OC and especially overvoltage.

I believe I can claim warranty if I get the "20C higher" version too. I've read some people complaining about that.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Well if they test if it's working and it isn't, there still must be a way to find it out. Like different electronics degradation inside the CPU, to see if it's been overclocked or not. Or am I tripping here? There MUST be a way to find out about OC and especially overvoltage.

Your tripping. :)

CPU degradation doesn't imply overclocking. So even if they could check for it, it isn't a valid indicator that the CPU was overclocked because excessive heat could cause it which doesn't need an overclock to occur. Either way, if you're not overclocking and not shoving 1.5v through a 22nm chip I think you will be fine. :p

uptech

Your tripping. :)

CPU degradation doesn't imply overclocking. So even if they could check for it, it isn't a valid indicator that the CPU was overclocked because excessive heat could cause it which doesn't need an overclock to occur. Either way, if you're not overclocking and not shoving 1.5v through a 22nm chip I think you will be fine. :p

Hm, I didn't explain it further. Here's what I had in mind: you have bought the CPU 1 month ago. At the worst, let's assume that has been working 24/day, which means a total of 720 hours. Calculating the "normal" degradation of electronics if it was used under stock voltage AND frequency, would show how it should be degraded. Now if it was running on 4.5Ghz with + 0.1v, the degradation would differ and there would be inconsistency. I think, even if there would be no volts in play, it could be calculated as in lesser degradation of parts.

Degradation from heat and from electronics working "faster" is different. I think. I'm just using logic here, no physics knowledge involved.

Cooling Custom Water/ Thermalchill TA 120.3/ Swiftech Apogeee XT/ MCP655/ Swiftech M icrores/ XSPC RX 240

AMD and Intel would still replace it

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
There's more single-threaded games than multi-threaded games actually, and many latest games wouldn't utilize more than 2 cores. If it will move somewhere, it'll be more games using 3 and 4 cores.

Why? Most games already use 4 cores. New games such as BF3 and Crysis 3 are using all 8 threads available to the 3770K, 8150 and 8350.

You obvious lack of knowledge in a lot of these areas makes me question why you would argue with someone who is sitting there telling you from personal experience and the experience of other members.

As for all of your overclocking woes. 3470, 3570K, 3770K doesn't matter you will not be clocking much if any on the bus speed everything is pretty much pure multiplier clocking. Yes you technically void your warranty overclocking but there isn't some piece of paper that changes color on the CPU to say you were overclocking. Even if you do pump 2V through your brand spanking new 3570K because you think you know best Intel wont know that is the exact reason the processor stopped working. That would lead to high level degradation and possibly death of certain internal components none of which is visible to the techie who plugs the CPU into a mobo and sees it not POST.

If you are that freaked out about overclocking save the money buy a 3470 and move on. Obviously overclocking isn't for you.

uptech

Why? Most games already use 4 cores. New games such as BF3 and Crysis 3 are using all 8 threads available to the 3770K, 8150 and 8350.

You obvious lack of knowledge in a lot of these areas makes me question why you would argue with someone who is sitting there telling you from personal experience and the experience of other members.

As for all of your overclocking woes. 3470, 3570K, 3770K doesn't matter you will not be clocking much if any on the bus speed everything is pretty much pure multiplier clocking. Yes you technically void your warranty overclocking but there isn't some piece of paper that changes color on the CPU to say you were overclocking. Even if you do pump 2V through your brand spanking new 3570K because you think you know best Intel wont know that is the exact reason the processor stopped working. That would lead to high level degradation and possibly death of certain internal components none of which is visible to the techie who plugs the CPU into a mobo and sees it not POST.

If you are that freaked out about overclocking save the money buy a 3470 and move on. Obviously overclocking isn't for you.

I'm just recapping what I've read in various articles of earlier this year. Supposedly they did tests.

Sorry for that. I just can't believe that there is no way of detecting that CPU has died of overclocking, that it was running on higher than allowed frequency or voltage, etc.. It's... Very odd.

System Name Intel® X99 Wellsburg
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-5820K - 4.5GHz
Motherboard ASUS Rampage V E10 (1801)
Cooling EK RGB Monoblock + EK XRES D5 Revo Glass PWM
Memory CMD16GX4M4A2666C15
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB /850 EVO 1TB / WD Black 2TB
Display(s) Samsung P2450H
Case Lian Li PC-O11 WXC
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply EVGA 1200 P2 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G900 / SS QCK
Keyboard Deck 87 Francium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Guys he can OC on 4.5GHz on some good cooler like Silver Arrow, H80, H100, Noctua, or Phanteks.
That's sure, on 1.300V no chance to start some degradation with gaming. No chance with benchmarking and 100% load. Intel CPU are famous like durable CPU in some mid OC.
Good cooling, good motherboard, and 30% over specification for next 3 years without problems.
I'm not to leave CPU on 4.8GHz every day and 1.4V first, maybe for short tests, but IB can
4.2-4.3GHz with stock voltage Prime95 stable test. Don't throw performance through window if don't need for that.
4.5GHz is jogging for IB. But these CPU is so powerful you don't need OC first 2 years at all or first 12 months.
3570K and stop talking. Turn on what you want side no better option for gaming.

System Name Norfree
Processor i5 3570k @4.4
Motherboard Gigabyte UD5H
Cooling 212 Evo
Memory 4x4GB Kingston 1600 @ 1833 9cl
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro Fury
Storage Corsair SSD, WD Black
Display(s) 1080p TV
Case Corsair 300-R
Audio Device(s) Auzentech Prelude > Fidelio X2s and AD-700s
Power Supply PCP&C Silent 950w
Software Win 10 Pro 64
I'm just recapping what I've read in various articles of earlier this year. Supposedly they did tests.

Sorry for that. I just can't believe that there is no way of detecting that CPU has died of overclocking, that it was running on higher than allowed frequency or voltage, etc.. It's... Very odd.

overclocking doesn't damage the chip unless its pretty extreme and poorly cooled. judging by all of your insecure posts I suggest you try to find someone to help you put the pc together. or take a computer maintenance class.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
That's why I'm asking for real-world performance.

A 30% overclock means everything the processor does is done 30% faster (more or less), so "real world" performance will depend on how CPU-dependent your program or game is. Overclocking also helps RAM realize it's full potential when using high speed memory clocks such as 2133, 2400, or 2600, resulting in even more speed and lower latency. Of course, to realize these gains will require more cash outlay for enhanced CPU cooling, at the very least $30 for a Hyper 212 Evo, or even better an H100 liquid cooling system for peace of mind. In my book the ability to boost performance 30% or more is well worth the extra $70-$80 needed for the right hardware. Get the 3570K

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
A 30% overclock means everything the processor does is done 30% faster (more or less), so "real world" performance will depend on how CPU-dependent your program or game is. Overclocking also helps RAM realize it's full potential when using high speed memory clocks such as 2133, 2400, or 2600, resulting in even more speed and lower latency. Of course, to realize these gains will require more cash outlay for enhanced CPU cooling, at the very least $30 for a Hyper 212 Evo, or even better an H100 liquid cooling system for peace of mind. In my book the ability to boost performance 30% or more is well worth the extra $70-$80 needed for the right hardware. Get the 3570K

ya only if the FSB is increased to match those ram speeds (good luck on that)

I have to say one thing. This is an overclocking club so overclock it!