• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

3rd party DRM on Steam (New Batman and L.A. Noire)

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
DRM primarily exists to prevent second-hand sales and only hinders the most inept from obtaining a pirated copy. Steam is not merely a retail outlet, it is a form of DRM and works to the same extent as other forms of DRM in preventing piracy i.e. not at all where someone is determined not to pay. Given that Steam already "protects" I fail to see the need for any further DRM, particularly when you consider that, in the best possible situation, additional DRM serves no logical purpose other than pointlessly nibbling away at resources.

It's up to the publisher if they want whatever DRM on their product. Not Steam. I don't care either way, DRM doesn't bother me in this case.

System Name HAL
Processor Core i9 13900k @5.8-6.1
Motherboard Z790 Arous master
Cooling EKWB Quantum Velocity V2 & (2) 360 Corsair XR7 Rads push/pull
Memory 2x 32GB (64GB) Gskill trident 6000 CL30 @28 1T
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gigagbyte gaming OC @ +200/1300
Storage (M2's) 2x Samsung 980 pro 2TB, 1xWD Black 2TB, 1x SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) 65" LG OLED 120HZ
Case Lian Li dyanmic Evo11 with distro plate
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350
Software Microsoft Windows 11 x64
My advice for the millionth topic about this kind of stuff.. Get..Over..It..
People been crying about DRM since it was only D.. Get use to it.. Buy it or don't buy it.
If you didn't get Batman 1 due to DRM then it's your loss. The game was magnificent.
The DRM caused no issues at all.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
It is correct, you missed the "allegedly". ;)

No, it isn't correct, it isn't even allegedly designed to stop piracy. It is designed to post-pone piracy, and prevent the inept from just making a copy of the disc and giving it to their friends, and it does that. Even if they can post-pone the spread for a day after the game is launched it helps, because the biggest sales for a game come the first few days after it is released, so if for those precious few days they can not be competing with a pirated version they are better off.

People been crying about DRM since it was only D.. Get use to it.. Buy it or don't buy it.
If you didn't get Batman 1 due to DRM then it's your loss. The game was magnificent.

Actually, Batman:AA's DRM was brilliant. Besides the standard DRM, they put a bug in the game that only affected pirates, and man did the pirates light up the forums with "ZOMG I can't get past this part. HELP!" threads, it was rather funny to see...

But, yes, I agree with you. Get over it. DRM isn't that bad. Your PC isn't going to come to a grinding hault because you have a piece of software installed on it that only runs when you run a game and doesn't affect the system other than that.

System Name Old Fart / Young Dude
Processor 2500K / 6600K
Motherboard ASRock P67Extreme4 / Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 DDR3
Cooling CM Hyper TX3 / CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 16 GB Kingston HyperX / 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti / INNO3D RTX 2060
Storage SSD, some WD and lots of Samsungs
Display(s) BenQ GW2470 / LG UHD 43" TV
Case Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced / Thermaltake Core v31
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1/Denon PMA500AE/Wharfedale D 10.1/ FiiO D03K/ JBL LSR 305
Power Supply Corsair TX650 / Corsair TX650M
Mouse Steelseries Rival 100 / Rival 110
Keyboard Sidewinder/ Steelseries Apex 150
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 Pro
Absolutely no problem for me. I'll wait for a sale on Steam to pick those games. Too much money spent already this year.

Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard Asus P6T v2
Cooling Noctua D-14
Memory OCZ Gold 1600
Video Card(s) Powercolor PCS+ 5870
Storage Samsung SpinPoint F3 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung LE-B530 37" TV
Case Lian Li PC-B25F
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 700w
Software Windows 7 64-bit

I feel it's wrong to be so dismissive about DRM, moreso when we're discussing second and third levels of DRM. Suffice to say that not everyone views DRM with the same nonchalance, which in my humble opinion is a wise policy, given that it has direct bearing on your rights as a consumer:

http://www.reclaimyourgame.com/content.php/754-Evaluation-Report-Batman-Arkham-Asylum

http://www.reclaimyourgame.com/content.php/603-The-Solution

But each to their own and if you can remain oblivious I am not about to try to convince you or erocker that this is an issue that should cause concern. In any event, if the thread serves no other purpose, at least a number of Steam users will be made aware of third-party DRM that they may have otherwise missed.

No, it isn't correct, it isn't even allegedly designed to stop piracy. It is designed to post-pone piracy, and prevent the inept from just making a copy of the disc and giving it to their friends, and it does that. Even if they can post-pone the spread for a day after the game is launched it helps, because the biggest sales for a game come the first few days after it is released, so if for those precious few days they can not be competing with a pirated version they are better off.

If that were the case, why not simply remove all DRM a few months after release?

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
But each to their own and if you can remain oblivious I am not about to try to convince you or erocker that this is an issue that should cause concern. In any event, if the thread serves no other purpose, at least a number of Steam users will be made aware of third-party DRM that they may have otherwise missed.

I appreciate that, and I really do understand how some people can/will be concerned about this. I'm just not one of them. :toast: