1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

4 pin to 8 pin adaptor

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by freaksavior, Apr 7, 2007.

1. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Kursah

Kursah Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    My PSU only has the 4 pin also. But from what I've read using the converter doesn't make a difference as power supplies with the 8 pin have dedicated voltage to that plugin..whereas you're just using the 4 pin voltage to power the 8. If I were you I'd leave that alone, the 8 pin is only to supposedly add more stability anyways, and I'm perfectly stable as is.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. aximbigfan New Member

Thanks Received:
    10 Year Member at TPU
  4. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

i bought the hiper one.....i liked the idea/look of it since it's not just splinting the power and actually giving it 8 power instead of 4! i just hope it doesn't hinder my psu

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. tkpenalty

Thanks Received:
    In the first place you didnt need it. Unless you do some crazy overclocking, just plug the 4 pin in, seriously nothing is going to fail if you just plug the 4-pin in, especially since you have a low-tier Prescott. It is only needed for dual core systems (even then the 8-pin extra power is useless).

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
    Oh well.....it's better to be safe than sry! and is a Pentium d 945 a prescott??

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    No, it's a Presler Core!:rockout:

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
    i didn't think it was a prescott, prescotts are P4's.....I'm planning on over clocking the 945 to around 4.0-4.4 so it's not a crazy overclock but i would rather spend $4 and get the 4 to 8 pin adapter!

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    4 pin is fine, my friend has a c2d set up with the 4 pin only, it's perfectly stable, but with no oc

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    It is? Those connectors are there for a reason. A 24 pin ATX connector works with a 20pin cable as well, it's a bad idea though. For example, there are many people on the planet who felt very sad when their Athlon MP systems got molten ATX connectors. When too much power runs through a cable they tend to get hot > melt plastic > make you sad.

I recommend complying with the standard.

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
    so your saying it's better to use a 8 pin adaptor and a 24 pin than 20 and 4? or 24 and 4 (wich is what i would have been using!

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I am just using a 4 pin on my P5B Dlx with my OC'd C2D system and I'm totally stable! My power supply only has the 4 pin, and I have heard that these adapters don't really do anything, sure they feed power to the pins, but without a power supply designed to add power to support those pins you're just using the same ammount of power over more pins, and it changes nothing.

Keep the 24 pin, you have to use it if you're MB has the 24 pin plug...otherwise good luck booting up.

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    The adapters are pointless since the same amount of cables are used on the PSU and therefor the wires get too much load in some situations.

10 Year Member at TPU
  14. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

the hiper adds the full 8 pin power! and it doesn't split it just the 4 pin! the only other thing is it since it draws more power that way, it might make the system less stable.....

10 Year Member at TPU
  15. Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Challenge for those who have 4 to 8 Pin Conversions

If you want 8-pin, get a power supply made for 8-pin since that is guarenteed to function by design. Drawing more juice from the 4-pin to make 8-pin really isn't going to change anything. But prove me wrong, that'd be cool with me, and I am interested to find out how well they work if they actually do anything other than fill empty slots...

----CHALLENGE----

Those of you that have the 4 to 8-Pin converters, I challenge you to prove that you didn't waste a few bucks and that these actually do something other than take up space and fill empty slots. Here's the challenge:

Use something like Everest/CPU-Z/SpeedFan to detect vdroop/cpu speed, etc..

1. 4-Pin Overclock/Vdroop Measurement

>Overclock as far as you can with stock volts with stability (make it easy, 20 minutes of Orthos Priority 9 should do for this test). Report vCore at Idle/Load, max OC.

2. 8-Pin Conversion Overclock/Vdroop Measurement

>Overclock as far as you can with stock volts with stability (20 minutes Orthos, Priority 9), Report vCore at Idle/Load, max OC.

This should tell us a few things, such as, does it really add stability when you use a conversion? Does it allow more stable volts for a better overclock? Does it reduce vDroop? I want to know, and I am sure those who've read about these are curious, and this could lead to some interesting findings. I'd like to thank those who are willing to try this challenge, and prove whether or not we should spend a couple of bucks to get this converter or just buy a power supply meant for 8-pin. Of course, if someone has a power supply with a 4-pin, and one with an 8-pin, performing this same test would also be interesting.

10 Year Member at TPU
  16. tkpenalty

Thanks Received:
    Only useful if you have dual core, i'll say it again and again... Most of us have dual core so it should make a small difference. Its useless for single core CPUs.

10 Year Member at TPU
  17. Kursah

Thanks Received:
    And I agree with you, but I'd like to see some real results posted on the adapter...because I feel the adapter does nothing, is dirt cheap to make, and even at cheap prices they still make a decent profit. I want to see if I'm wrong from results of those who've purchased this product. It'd be cool if it helped to even out voltage and reduce vDroop.

10 Year Member at TPU
  18. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
    as soon as my dual core system is up and running smoothly i'll do your test! max overclock with and without the adaptor!

just a reminder this isn't just a split the 4 pin adapter! (although i dk if it would make a difference if it was)

10 Year Member at TPU
  19. Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Well I'd like to see if it does too, because that seems like a better option to go with out of the two you found.

10 Year Member at TPU
  20. tkpenalty

Thanks Received:
    Yeah...But its only useful for WEAKER power supplies, i.e. generic. Normal PSUs dont need this, I reckon its just something superflous...

10 Year Member at TPU
  21. jkmak New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a really stupid question, but I have to ask any way. Does it matter which side you plug in the 4 pin plug?

10 Year Member at TPU
  22. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You mean the 4 pin into the MOBO, get the adapter!!

If you mean the 4 pin power cable to the PSU then no.

10 Year Member at TPU
  23. d44ve New Member

Thanks Received:
    some boards require the 8 pin... some dont

10 Year Member at TPU
  24. d44ve New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes it does...it will only go one way

10 Year Member at TPU
  25. Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I've never read of or seen a board with the 8 pin plug require it, I've seen many like mine with the 8-pin and preinstalled plug for 4 of the pins to be compatable with 4 pin PSU's.

10 Year Member at TPU