• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

4790k worth it?

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory VENGEANCE LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600 C18 OCed 3800
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, 870 QVO 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v22H2
At the time it's just slower than Intel's stuffs. Normally I'm always in to defend Ryzen, but not for someone who is strictly gaming, I would only recommend Ryzen for workstation and/or streaming while gaming usage, not for pure gaming, because it's simply not up to the game there, atm.
Not sure about that it has Haswell-Broadwell IPC for single thread performance, and it only loses to Intel in games on maxium FPS, minimum FPS it always seems to be ahead of Intel to me. Was never implied that moving to the 4790K was a bad idea just seems late to even bother with dropping any money on another Haswell CPU.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
The 4790K is supposed to do a minimum of 4.4GHz because it's own turbo stock can do it, when less than 4 cores are used. I'd say you had bad luck. I'm not gonna change my opinion because of singular users that had bad luck. I saw countless users running it on 4.4 GHz or greater, I think the average overclocks are about 4.4-4.5 GHz.

It will only turbo to those clocks when 1 or 2 cores are loaded. It will only turbo to 4.2GHz with 4 cores, and it won't maintain those clocks for a significant period of time with the stock cooler.

There are plenty of people with 4.4-4.5GHz overclocks, but not with the stock cooler. I can guarantee it.

And people who are saying i5 4670K = i7 4790K in performance with a highend GPU of 980 Ti or greater, are just wrong btw. the i7 4790K has a higher clock and HT, that sets it easily apart from the i5 4670K. It's a fact and I have proof for that aswell.

If he is running the stock 4670K speeds, sure. But if that was the case(it isn't, try reading), then the simplest solution would be to overclock the 4670K. Most of them will easily hit 4.4GHz with a decent aftermarket cooler. And at that point, there will no noticeable difference in games by upgrading to a 4790K.

Even with a high end graphics card, there will be no difference, unless you aren't stressing the graphics card. In which case, why even bother having the high end graphics card? And by the time you do drop the resolution and settings to the point the CPU is making a difference, you're getting framerates so high, you won't ever notice the difference. You'll be able to measure the difference, sure, but you won't be able to notice it while actually playing games.

You're just one guy with 1 CPU not 100 or 1000 or 10000 or even more, I'd say your data is 99% irrelevant. Early adopter bad luck or general bad luck, that is.

I've built and overclocked several 4790K systems. However, I get the impression that you've never even owned one yourself. It will throttle down to 4.0GHz when fully loaded, or even when just playing games, for extended periods of time with the stock cooler. There is absolutely no overclocking headroom with the stock cooler that ships with the 4970K. In fact, I'd say it is underpowered even for stock operation due to the fact that it will get heat saturated very quickly and limit the clocks to 4.0GHz. You're claim that you can overclock to 4.4GHz with the included stock cooler is just plain wrong.

Anyway, not important. He can simply buy the i7 4790K and not overclock it, even then it's easily faster than the i5 4670K (400 MHz higher clock + Hyper Threading that is worth another up to 20% performance).

Since his 4670K can overclock to 4.6GHz, nothing you just said applies. The clock speed advantage the 4790K has goes completely away. So now we are just left with HT and a slightly bigger cache. The cache only really helps with HT, as it is cache intensive. And HT is not worth anywhere near 20% in games. It isn't worth really anything in games actually.

So, given everything we know. That his 4670K does 4.6GHz already and his cooler is all that is holding him back. I think we need to move on from comparing the stock 4670K to a 4790K and just accept that all he really needs is a better CPU cooler. This is really the best option. The cooler can be re-used with a new system when he finally does want to upgrade. And upgrading to a 4790K from an overclocked 4.6GHz 4670K would give him no noticeable performance improvement. These are the facts.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
It will only turbo to those clocks when 1 or 2 cores are loaded. It will only turbo to 4.2GHz with 4 cores, and it won't maintain those clocks for a significant period of time with the stock cooler.

There are plenty of people with 4.4-4.5GHz overclocks, but not with the stock cooler. I can guarantee it.
Agreed. I don't see the point in going from a 4 core 4 thread to a 4 core 8 thread CPU that really won't do anything for things like gaming. Stock cooler will run the chip stock and that's about it.

Kanan

Tech Enthusiast & Gamer
System Name eazen corp | Xentronon 7.2
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X // PBO max.
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 w/ AM4 kit // 3x Corsair AF140L case fans (2 in, 1 out)
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x16 GB DDR4 3600 @ 3800, CL16-19-19-39-58-1T, 1.4 V
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti modded to MATRIX // 2000-2100 MHz Core / 1938 MHz G6
Storage Silicon Power P34A80 1TB NVME/Samsung SSD 830 128GB&850 Evo 500GB&F3 1TB 7200RPM/Seagate 2TB 5900RPM
Display(s) Samsung 27" Curved FS2 HDR QLED 1440p/144Hz&27" iiyama TN LED 1080p/120Hz / Samsung 40" IPS 1080p TV
Case Corsair Carbide 600C
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud Orbit S / Creative SB X AE-5 @ Logitech Z906 / Sony HD AVR @PC & TV @ Teufel Theater 80
Power Supply EVGA 650 GQ
Mouse Logitech G700 @ Steelseries DeX // Xbox 360 Wireless Controller
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB /w Cherry MX Brown switches
VR HMD Still nope
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 15 095 Time Spy | P29 079 Firestrike | P35 628 3DM11 | X67 508 3DM Vantage Extreme
Not sure about that it has Haswell-Broadwell IPC for single thread performance, and it only loses to Intel in games on maxium FPS, minimum FPS it always seems to be ahead of Intel to me. Was never implied that moving to the 4790K was a bad idea just seems late to even bother with dropping any money on another Haswell CPU.
Ryzen loses on Average FPS and in every other metric as well, but it depends which games you mean too. If you're strictly talking CPU heavy games Ryzen has better 1% low and 0.1% low FPS, perhaps (not 100% sure on this, and reviewers tell different things as well). In most reviews I saw Ryzen wasn't winning against Intel's stuff. But again I don't think Ryzen is really important here, if he wants to save money, Ryzen is no option. And if he's a pure gamer, Intel's stuffs (7700K, 5820K/6800K etc) is still faster. Again, I'd only recommend Ryzen atm for workstation and streamers, because streamers get a lot of threads for low money, something Intel can't offer for the same price (5820K or 6800K cost more and also offer 2 less cores which are important when doing workstation or streaming stuff).

How many times are you gonna repeat this? And where in that quote did I even say this? Also please don't bore me off with basic informations that I know anyway.

If he is running the stock 4670K speeds, sure. But if that was the case(it isn't, try reading), then the simplest solution would be to overclock the 4670K. Most of them will easily hit 4.4GHz with a decent aftermarket cooler. And at that point, there will no noticeable difference in games by upgrading to a 4790K.
Bull. The 4670K is first gen Haswell it has a lot of problems when overclocking, my friends 4670K only did 4.1 GHz. With a lot of effort and temperature problems (because of the bad TIM) 4.2 GHz. "Easily 4.4 GHz" is a absolutely wrong statement. 4690K (not 4670K) would maybe do that, but not "easily" aswell. Even then, the i7 4790K is a decent upgrade, it's faster because of way faster Cache and +2 MB L3 cache and Hyper Threading. I don't think you understand the difference between the i5 4670K and i7 4790K really well, by your statements that are still pretty wrong. [This is a general statement and has nothing to do with the OPs i5, I saw later that he has OC at 4.6 GHz running which is pure luck from what I know of first gen Haswell]

Even with a high end graphics card, there will be no difference, unless you aren't stressing the graphics card. In which case, why even bother having the high end graphics card? And by the time you do drop the resolution and settings to the point the CPU is making a difference, you're getting framerates so high, you won't ever notice the difference. You'll be able to measure the difference, sure, but you won't be able to notice it while actually playing games.
Bull. Again, I have a friend who saw a great increase in FPS in BF1 and other heavy games, using highest settings with a 980 Ti. I can ask him for evidence and proof later, if you want. He has a lot of knowledge about these stuffs and made the move and wasn't disappointed, you're not making any sense here, saying i5 and i7 are the same. They are not. You can discuss it to death if you want, but you already lost this point, because your statement is totally wrong.

I've built and overclocked several 4790K systems. However, I get the impression that you've never even owned one yourself. It will throttle down to 4.0GHz when fully loaded, or even when just playing games, for extended periods of time with the stock cooler. There is absolutely no overclocking headroom with the stock cooler that ships with the 4970K. In fact, I'd say it is underpowered even for stock operation due to the fact that it will get heat saturated very quickly and limit the clocks to 4.0GHz. You're claim that you can overclock to 4.4GHz with the included stock cooler is just plain wrong.
Are you so bored that you need to say the same thing over and over and over again? zzzZzzzzZz That wall of text, for nothing.

Since his 4670K can overclock to 4.6GHz, nothing you just said applies. The clock speed advantage the 4790K has goes completely away. So now we are just left with HT and a slightly bigger cache. The cache only really helps with HT, as it is cache intensive. And HT is not worth anywhere near 20% in games. It isn't worth really anything in games actually.
HT, "slightly" bigger cache and way faster Cache too. Seems you own a lot of CPUs but are still not as good informed on them as I am. HT is worth a lot in games that would use it, BF1 for example. That statement you made is completely wrong. Actually i7s are now the best choice for highend gamers, because i5s aren't really fast enough anymore (background tasks + (heavy) gaming). I would even go as far as to only recommend 6 core i7s to highend gamers, because it's even faster (at least when OC) and has better future capabilities aswell.

So, given everything we know. That his 4670K does 4.6GHz already and his cooler is all that is holding him back. I think we need to move on from comparing the stock 4670K to a 4790K and just accept that all he really needs is a better CPU cooler. This is really the best option. The cooler can be re-used with a new system when he finally does want to upgrade. And upgrading to a 4790K from an overclocked 4.6GHz 4670K would give him no noticeable performance improvement. These are the facts.
These are your wrong "facts" from your dream world, yes. I already explained that i7 4790K has more and faster cache and hyper threading is worth up to 20% more perf for games. So IF he is able to get the 4790K for about 250 bucks and sell off the i5 4670K for about 150 bucks or more, he can get a nice bump in speed without spending 500 bucks for a new system.

Reactions: Z77
System Name Betty
Processor i7-5930K @ 4.5ghz
Motherboard ASUS X99 PRO. USB 3.1
Cooling Corsair H110i GTX AIO
Memory 16GB Corsair LPX 2666MHZ DDR4
Video Card(s) Zotac AMPED EXTREME GTX 980TI X2
Storage Intel 250GB SSD/KINGSTON 500GB SSD
Case Corsair 760T
Power Supply Corsair HX1200i
Software Windows 10
Don't. the 4790K is still a beast of a GAMING cpu. I stress the GAMING part because like others have said in this thread if all you are doing is gaming it would be a huge waste of money to get something else.

Kanan

Tech Enthusiast & Gamer
Cooling Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 w/ AM4 kit // 3x Corsair AF140L case fans (2 in, 1 out)
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x16 GB DDR4 3600 @ 3800, CL16-19-19-39-58-1T, 1.4 V
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti modded to MATRIX // 2000-2100 MHz Core / 1938 MHz G6
Storage Silicon Power P34A80 1TB NVME/Samsung SSD 830 128GB&850 Evo 500GB&F3 1TB 7200RPM/Seagate 2TB 5900RPM
Display(s) Samsung 27" Curved FS2 HDR QLED 1440p/144Hz&27" iiyama TN LED 1080p/120Hz / Samsung 40" IPS 1080p TV
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud Orbit S / Creative SB X AE-5 @ Logitech Z906 / Sony HD AVR @PC & TV @ Teufel Theater 80
Power Supply EVGA 650 GQ
VR HMD Still nope
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 15 095 Time Spy | P29 079 Firestrike | P35 628 3DM11 | X67 508 3DM Vantage Extreme
WTF are you talking about? Repeat this? I said it once. I'm not even going to bother responding anymore. You're wrong, you're statements go against what several others have said.
Are you still going to kindergarten or what? You can't leave a discussion, essentially giving up and then say I'm wrong. I have facts, I know YOU are wrong, 100%. So wouldn't give a fuck anymore. I don't need to convince you. :laugh:

To OP: Good luck with so much distraction here. Don't waste your money. And don't go for Ryzen (7 1700 or higher) unless you're a workstation / streamer guy. :)

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
How many times are you gonna repeat this? And where in that quote did I even say this? Also please don't bore me off with basic informations that I know anyway.

WTF are you talking about? Repeat this? I said it once. I'm not even going to bother responding anymore. You're wrong, you're statements go against what several others have said.

Bull. The 4670K is first gen Haswell it has a lot of problems when overclocking, my friends 4670K only did 4.1 GHz. With a lot of effort and temperature problems (because of the bad TIM) 4.2 GHz. "Easily 4.4 GHz" is a absolutely wrong statement. 4690K (not 4670K) would maybe do that, but not "easily" aswell. Even then, the i7 4790K is a decent upgrade, it's faster because of way faster Cache and +2 MB L3 cache and Hyper Threading. I don't think you understand the difference between the i5 4670K and i7 4790K really well, by your statements that are still pretty wrong. [This is a general statement and has nothing to do with the OPs i5, I saw later that he has OC at 4.6 GHz running which is pure luck from what I know of first gen Haswell]

The TIM is not that much better than the 4670K. And the 4670K can easily hit 4.4GHz with a decent cooler. Hell, the OP has his at 4.2GHz with a crappy 212+...

Also, you give me shit because I said my 4790K wouldn't do 4.4GHz with the stock cooler, and I'm just one person so my statement doesn't matter. But now you're using "your friends" case to prove your statements. Give me a break. You're full of it.

Bull. Again, I have a friend who saw a great increase in FPS in BF1 and other heavy games, using highest settings with a 980 Ti. I can ask him for evidence and proof later, if you want. He has a lot of knowledge about these stuffs and made the move and wasn't disappointed, you're not making any sense here, saying i5 and i7 are the same. They are not. You can discuss it to death if you want, but you already lost this point, because your statement is totally wrong.

Ok, prove it. And I don't want "your friends" one single game difference. I want some review sites showing major differences at at least 1440p with max settings in games.

Are you so bored that you need to say the same thing over and over and over again? zzzZzzzzZz That wall of text, for nothing.

What are you on?

HT, "slightly" bigger cache and way faster Cache too.

WTF are you basing that on? The cache defaults to a 1:1 with the base clock speed. So that's 3.4GHz vs 4.0GHz. That isn't exactly "way faster". That's, what, like 15% faster clock speed. And again, kind of moot if the OP is already overclocking his processor. Which means he can easily change the cache ratio to run the 4670K's cache at 4.0GHz. And before you say anything, yes it will easily do that. I've done it with my 4670K when I had one.

When are you going to stop repeating stock useless garbage? The OP is overclocking his processor. All your arguments against a stock 4670K don't apply.

These are your wrong "facts" from your dream world, yes. I already explained that i7 4790K has more and faster cache and hyper threading is worth up to 20% more perf for games. So IF he is able to get the 4790K for about 250 bucks and sell off the i5 4670K for about 150 bucks or more, he can get a nice bump in speed without spending 500 bucks for a new system.

Show me 5 games where Hyperthreading makes a noticeable difference. I bet you can't. I bet you can't even show me even 2 games where HT gives even close to 20% performance boost. I'm talking actually show me. Not just make random statements. Show me respected review sites, showing HT giving 20% performance improvements in games.

I'm done with you. You make wrong statements, and then just throw insults when people call you on them. You aren't worth my time. Go ahead and respond with more BS. I won't.

Last edited:

Kanan

Tech Enthusiast & Gamer
Power Supply EVGA 650 GQ
VR HMD Still nope
Software Win 10 Pro
Yeah you're not bothering, but still you bother to continue? That's kinda crazy. oO

The TIM is not that much better than the 4670K. And the 4670K can easily hit 4.4GHz with a decent cooler. Hell, the OP has his at 4.2GHz with a crappy 212+...
The TIM is a lot better, also explaining why the 4690K and 4790K are so much better at both stock clocks and overclocking vs. the 1st gen Haswells (4670k + 4770K). Did you actually read Anandtechs reviews or anything else about it? Yeah doesn't seem like it.

Also, you give me shit because I said my 4790K wouldn't do 4.4GHz with the stock cooler, and I'm just one person so my statement doesn't matter. But now you're using "your friends" case to prove your statements. Give me a break. You're full of it.
I'm using "my friends case" since my first post, that was way before we started our argument here. Wow.... you're also full of shit yourself. Thanks I give that back.

Ok, prove it. And I don't want "your friends" one single game difference. I want some review sites showing major differences at at least 1440p with max settings in games.
Yeah I will ask him for more than just one game. I will ask him for his Aida screenshots with way higher Cache speeds as well. Everything. No problem. Funny that you need evidence for things everyone knows who has a actual real clue about i5 + i7 of the consumer Intel platforms. Just a small hint: i7 cache has more cache connections than i5 (easy to see in CPU-Z) that's why it's faster. But yeah, keep on dreaming about being better informed than me.

What are you on?
What's your problem?

WTF are you basing that on? The cache defaults to a 1:1 with the base clock speed. So that 3.4GHz vs 4.0GHz. That isn't exactly "way faster". That's, what, like 15% faster clock speed. And again, kind of moot if the OP is already overclocking his processor. Which means he can easily change the cache ratio to run the 4670K's cache at 4.0GHz. And before you say anything, yes it will easily do that. I've done it with my 4670K when I had one.
Yeah just because two 4670K owners had luck with their CPUs proofs nothing, again, sorry. My friends and a lot of other i5s in mass threads where everyone posted at release, where clearly showing the i5 4670K has issues with overclocking, the i7 4770K aswell, essentially all of 1st gen Haswell because of bad TIM that got later fixed with Devil's Canyon. Everyone knows that. Everyone but you?

When are you going to stop repeating stock useless garbage? The OP is overclocking his processor. All your arguments against a stock 4670K don't apply.
Huh? I was already having a overclocked i5 4670K in mind when I was writing my stuff. At least try to understand the other person when you're having a discussion, your behaviour isn't exactly nice or of any help if you continue like this.

Show me 5 games where Hyperthreading makes a difference. I bet you can't. I bet you can't even show me 2 games where HT gives even close to 20% performance boost. I'm talking actually show me. Not just make random statements. Show me respected review sites, showing HT giving 20% performance improvements in games.
For now I'm gonna ask you the same: please give me proof that HT did NOT help, because that is exactly what you said. I don't need to defend myself because my statements made a lot of fucking sense compared to yours. You seriously say HT is of no worth in current games that use well over 4 threads and up to 16, what a laughable statement that makes no f* sense. So again, YOU need to provide that proof. I will only provide the proof I promised from my friends, that will be easily enough.

btw. why is TPU using a i7 since many years to bench the games @ Ultra in 1080p and higher? Why waste the money, if the i5 is absolutely on the same speed level? :roll: Yes, because it isn't. i7 is way better for gaming. Even my own 6 core 3960X had usage of 100% at TWELVE threads in BF1 at times, at 4.5 GHz. And you still think HT is of no use when using a quad core? :laugh: I'm laughing on multiple levels right now, because you're so obviously obviously wrong and always pretend to know everything, yet you didn't catch that i7's are better than i5's since at least 1-2 years in gaming @ high end PCs. More like 3 or 4 years I'd say.

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ

Kanan

Tech Enthusiast & Gamer
Power Supply EVGA 650 GQ
VR HMD Still nope
Software Win 10 Pro
Well there is this: Gaming benchmarks: Core i7 6700K hyperthreading test, problem with the benchmarks is the extra 2 MB of L3 cache is likely influencing the results.
Too many old games, and no background applications running (99% sure). The reason why I say, Hyper Threading is of help, is because of background applications aswell, not only the game itself. In a realistic scenario the CPU with HT is better, because it has more ressources that it can use for the many background applications that are running today on a average gaming PC.

My friend said the same, when he switched to the i7 4790K. Essentially he had decreased FPS in BF1 because the i5 couldn't handle everything at once, but the i7 can. That is, he isn't even using "Ultra", he uses Ultra with a few things like post AA deactivated, and still, the CPU couldn't handle it, but the i7 can (1440p). And yet, he had up to 90% usage on some maps (that means all 8 threads were used) in BF1. And he told me, it's not just one game he is upgrading for.

To clarify it a bit more:

980 Ti OC @ 1460 MHz
i5 4670K OC @ 4.1 GHz
16 GB 2400 DDR3
1440p 100 Hz Korean IPS monitor

Couldn't handle the game + some small background applications on his system (basic stuff like Steam + TeamSpeak 3, nothing too fancy). He had a CPU bottleneck, means 100% util on the CPU and less than the desired 100% util on the GPU (dropping down to as low as 70%). After he switched to the i7 4790K, the CPU bottleneck was gone and his FPS (average and especially minimums too) were a lot higher.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
6 core 3960X had usage of 100% at TWELVE threads in BF1 at times, at 4.5 GHz. And you still think HT is of no use when using a quad core?
This was why I suggested either the 6 core/12 thread or the 4 core/8 thread R5 Ryzen. 8 core Ryzen R7 makes no sense to me for OP intended use.

Kanan

Tech Enthusiast & Gamer
Power Supply EVGA 650 GQ
VR HMD Still nope
Software Win 10 Pro
This was why I suggested either the 6 core/12 thread or the 4 core/8 thread R5 Ryzen. 8 core Ryzen R7 makes no sense to me for OP intended use.
The problem with Ryzen is, games are not really optimized for it, that's why the 6 core with 12 threads (eg R5 1600X) loses to a i5 6600K for example (R7 1800X loses to 7700K and barely manages a small win vs 6600K). If he's a workstation / streamer guy, that's fine, they are not opting for maximum FPS in games anyway, they want fast production performance and high enough FPS when streaming and Ryzen can easily do that. But if he's a pure gamer, Intel is better. He's sporting a 1080 Ti, a good CPU for that, on a equal level, is at least a 7700K, I'd rather take a 6800K and have some more headroom left for the future (prices are barely different, just mainboards pricier). As a matter of fact, a 4790K with OC would do the job too, I'm pretty sure, but the 7700K and higher, are of course better.

Processor Intel Core i5 4690K
Motherboard AsRock Z97 Extreme4
Cooling Hyper 212 Evo
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) R9 Nano
Storage 256GB SATA SSD 2TB WD Blue
Display(s) 1920x1080
Case Cooler Master Elite 130
Power Supply CX650M
Software Argh, Windows 10. I hated Windows 7. I hate Windows 10 more. Give me back XP!!!
That AMD fanboy
Are you still going to kindergarten

Seriously is it possible for you to be in a discussion and not outright insult anyone that disagrees with you?

You are worse than my 5 year old.

You might as well not even bother arguing.

Because your insults make people just ignore you.

Buying a 4790K is not worth it over a 4670K.

Hyperthreading does not help in games.

This is common knowledge.

Move on.

Kanan

Tech Enthusiast & Gamer
Power Supply EVGA 650 GQ
VR HMD Still nope
Software Win 10 Pro
Seriously is it possible for you to be in a discussion and not outright insult anyone that disagrees with you?

You are worse than my 5 year old.

You might as well not even bother arguing.

Because your insults make people just ignore you.

Buying a 4790K is not worth it over a 4670K.

Hyperthreading does not help in games.

This is common knowledge.

Move on.
a) You're on my ignore list for many months now (I've just unhidden your shit to answer it), because you insulted me pretty harshly in the past. Funny reading something like that then from you - do you know what a glass house is? And yet you're throwing with stones. You just crushed yourself.

b) read what others write to me aswell, you are selective/partial and therefore nothing what you write is of any consequence. I could've simply ignored your post, that is just full of shit anyway.

c) Your opinion is irrelevant, because you didn't read / understand the discussion, that is already at a advanced point compared to your simple opinion that is wrong anyway.

You are a troll, I'd say that is common knowledge by now.

Move on.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
First and only warning to the both of you! Move on and help, or leave the thread entirely! Any more personal banter will be rewarded with vacations.

Trinitrotoluen

It's a great CPU overall, probably will switch to something in next 2 gens as moving even to e.g 7700k is kind of waste of money. However if you want to buy a new rig you should aim in sth else imo.
I never OCed my 4790k since I bought it like 2-3 years ago. Decided to check how much I can go and ye, first tests look kind of strange: http://prntscr.com/et3o1e
I'm on 4.6Ghz while being at 1.157V and 66C average. Tested it in Cinebench and some CPU-Z stress test. Need some longer testing still but ye, looks quite decent for now.
Not exactly sure why my voltage is so low with those clocks...

Last edited:
System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
It's a great CPU overall, probably will switch to something in next 2 gens as moving even to e.g 7700k is kind of waste of money. However if you want to buy a new rig you should aim in sth else imo.
I never OCed my 4790k since I bought it like 2-3 years ago. Decided to check how much I can go and ye, first tests look kind of strange: http://prntscr.com/et3o1e
I'm on 4.6Ghz while being at 1.157V and 66C average. Tested it in Cinebench and some CPU-Z stress test. Need some longer testing still but ye, looks quite decent for now.
Not exactly sure why my voltage is so low with those clocks...
Looks like you got one of the good ones - mine is average, requires 1.32v to run 4.6/all cores/stable, temps average high 70s-low 80s with H110. Keep that CPU, possibly delid/relid. If those clocks, volts, and temps are accurate, you might hit 5.0 after delid, and that's very good, as good as it gets for Devils Canyon.

Processor Intel Core i5-8600k 4.3GHz
Motherboard Asrock Z-370 Extreme 4
Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H100i PRO RGB
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800)
Video Card(s) MSI 2080 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage 1xCrucial P1 1TB NVME SSD x1 WD BLACK SERIES WD2003FZEX 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) Asus TUF Gaming VG32VQ 32"/ Omen 27" G-Sync
Case Corsair Crystal 570x
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster X G-6/ Sennheiser HD58X Jubilee
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G3
Mouse CORSAIR M65 ELITE RGB/Logitec MX Ergo
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platnium RGB MX Speed
Software Windows 10 Pro
Thank you everyone for the responses. I think I am going to hold off on doing anything with my current system unless one heck of a deal comes my way. I am going to put a few dollars in the cookie jar here and there for a system overhaul in the future. I really do appreicate all of the feedback. This is why I love the community here! I will update this thread in the near future when I upgrade.

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
Smart move

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Smart move

Agreed. LIke I said, the only thing I'd consider would be a better CPU cooler so he can run 4.6GHz all the time. The CPU cooler is something that is pretty much guaranteed to be usable with a new system down the road. So it wouldn't be wasted money.

System Name ROG 7900X3d By purecain
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7900X3D
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair X670E Hero
Cooling Noctua NH U12A
Memory 64Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 neo RGB 6400@6000mhz@1.41v
Video Card(s) Aorus RTX4090 Extreme Waterforce
Storage 990Pro2Tb-1TbSamsung Evo M.2/ 2TbSamsung QVO/ 1TbSamsung Evo780/ 120gbKingston Now
Display(s) LG 65UN85006LA 65" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV
Case Thermaltake CoreX71 Limited Edition Etched Tempered Glass Door
Audio Device(s) On board/NIcomplete audio 6
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS 1000w 80+
Mouse M65 RGB Elite
Keyboard K95 RGB Platinum
Software Windows11pro
Benchmark Scores [url=https://valid.x86.fr/gtle1y][img]https://valid.x86.fr/cache/banner/gtle1y-6.png[/img][/url]
a 4770k delidded beats a 4790k under ln2. I have my system going for sale on the forum, i'd consider selling you my cpu for a good deal... I can get members to vouch for my honesty...

whatever you decide to do good luck!!! ps. I have a maximus exreme and 32gb of 2400mhz Kingston beast...all for sale.. just sayin lol...

Processor Intel Core i5-8600k 4.3GHz
Motherboard Asrock Z-370 Extreme 4
Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H100i PRO RGB
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800)
Video Card(s) MSI 2080 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage 1xCrucial P1 1TB NVME SSD x1 WD BLACK SERIES WD2003FZEX 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) Asus TUF Gaming VG32VQ 32"/ Omen 27" G-Sync
Case Corsair Crystal 570x
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster X G-6/ Sennheiser HD58X Jubilee
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G3
Mouse CORSAIR M65 ELITE RGB/Logitec MX Ergo
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platnium RGB MX Speed
Software Windows 10 Pro
I know this is a thread Necro but I just wanted to give an update and ping a question off of the members here. I have a 600$ gift card and I was thinking about using it on my pc. I have done a few things here and there since the last post but I am at a point now where I don't know what I should do. It still plugs along very well in just about every game I play. I just have that itch. With a 600$ budget what would you do at this point.

$600.00 American

Here is my current PC.

Processor Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell 4.2 GHZ
Motherboard ASUS Z87-A LGA
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid
Storage x2 Crucial MX300 275GB SSD x1 WD BLACK SERIES WD2003FZEX 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) Acer 2560x1440 144hz 1ms
Case Corsair Carbide Clear 400C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio-Corsair Void Pro RGB
Power Supply CORSAIR RM Series RM850 850W
Mouse Razor Naga
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow
Software Windows 10 Home Premium

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
I'm running a 4790k with a 1080ti and I feel like it's a good balance, though you could get a coffee lake i5 combo if you sell off your current board/chip/ram combo.

Norton

Moderator - Returning from the Darkness
Staff member
System Name Main PC- Gamer- Main Cruncher/Folder and too many crunching/folding rigs
Processor Ryzen 5900X- Ryzen 5950X- Ryzen 3950X and etc...
Motherboard Asrock X570 Extreme4- MSI X570S Tomahawk MAX WiFi- MSI B450M Bazooka Max and etc...
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S (dual fan)- EK 360 AIO with push/pull fans- Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT and etc...
Memory 2x16GB GSkill FlareX 3200/c14- 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3600/c16- 2x16GB Team 3600/c18 and etc..
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming RX 6800- Asus RTX 3070 TUF OC- MSI Ventus GTX 1660Ti and etc...
Storage Main PC (1TB WD SN850- 2TB PNY CS 3040- 2TB Seagate Firecuda) and etc...
Display(s) Main PC (2x24" Dell UltraSharp U2414H)
Case Phanteks P600s- Seasonic Q704- Fractal Meshify C and etc...
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 THX 2.1 speakers
Power Supply EVGA 750 G3- SeaSonic DGC 750- EVGA P2 850 and etc...
Mouse G300s
Keyboard Corsair K65
VR HMD N/A
Software Windows 10 Pro or Ubuntu
Benchmark Scores Why sit on the Bench when you can get in the game and Crunch!!!
Your current specs are pretty nice- don't think an upgrade would be all that noticeable for your usage.

With that said, a $600 budget would get you a 7700k/8700k mb/cpu/ram setup- if it were my rig and the cash wasn't needed for something else irl I would likely go for it :)

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Your current specs are pretty nice- don't think an upgrade would be all that noticeable for your usage.

With that said, a $600 budget would get you a 7700k/8700k mb/cpu/ram setup- if it were my rig and the cash wasn't needed for something else irl I would likely go for it :)

Agreed, I'd look into an upgrade to a 8700K or 8600K too. It should be a drop in replacement, probably won't even need to reinstall windows.