• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

4850 how to get the standard fan cooler off?

Pardon my grammar for i am Dutch. (Netherlands, not deutch -> germany)

Hi there, today i got my zalman graphics card cooler for this asus 4850 1 GB card.
The standard (roundish with plastic rim cap over it) started makeing an irritating snirping sound after about 9 months, only spinning at about 33 to 80% before. Putting it on 100% rpm made the sound go away for a while but it caught up, so now it just whines at low middle And high rpm's. Therefore: replacement was ordered.

I unscrewed the 4 'bottom' screws with the springs, but it does not come loose from gpu.
Is it 'cool-pasta-stickered' on to the GPU ?
Any tips or tricks how to get that thing off there? the force and twisting i applied was not enough. Perhaps more screws that are out of sight i have to remove?
Oh yeah it is dusty, i know, but with new casing (not open :) ) it is much better.

The 4 screws with springs underneeth, not seeable here, they where in the 6 sided bolts on printplate, are allready out.

Last edited:
System Name The wifes worst enemy
Processor i5-9600k
Motherboard Asrock z390 phantom gaming 4
Cooling water
Memory 16gb G.skill ripjaw DDR4 2400 4X4GB 15-15-15-35-2T
Video Card(s) Asrock 5600xt phantom gaming 6gb 14gb/s
Storage crucial M500 120GB SSD, Pny 256GB SSD, seagate 750GB, seagate 2TB HDD, WD blue 1TB 2.5" HDD
Display(s) 27 inch samsung @ 1080p but capable of much more ;)
Case Corsair AIR 540 Cube Mid tower
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply EVGA GQ1000W MODULAR
Mouse generic for now
Keyboard generic for now
Software gotta love steam, origin etc etc
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/philbrown_23/
take some needle nose pliers and twist the stand offs (6 sided screws) if they spin freely you may have to heat the cooler to loosen the hardned thermal paste. DO not FORCE it off!!!!! ati cards are direct die meaning if you force it it will take the gpu with it KILLING the card

System Name Acer Aspire V3-771G-53218G75Maii
Processor Core i5 3210M (2,5-3,1Ghz)
Memory 8GB DDR3 SODIMM
Video Card(s) Geforce GT650M
Storage Samsung 830 256GB - 750GB Toshiba drive
Software Windows 7 x64 Home Premium (non-acer-bloatware)
Oh hey fellow Dutchie. I've had a similar 4850 and all I needed to do was unscrew the spring screws (the ones that go through the card) and twist the cooler off.

You could use a blowdryer to warm up the thermal paste a bit so it comes off easier, the standard thermal paste can be quite sticky.

take some needle nose pliers and twist the stand offs (6 sided screws) if they spin freely you may have to heat the cooler to loosen the hardned thermal paste. DO not FORCE it off!!!!! ati cards are direct die meaning if you force it it will take the gpu with it KILLING the card

Ok thanx, i will heat it in now open case in use.
BUT the 6 sided stand-off's are not twistable it seems.
So i hope that the Thrackan replyer, a fellow dutchman, in this thread has the 'solution' : if cpu is warm/hot, it will come off now the 4 screws are out of the 6 side stand-off's.

I used the card with BF BC 2 (game), it got warm, and the fan came of with a (very-)little resistance in twist motion. After disconnecting the onboard (on videocard) cooler-wire plug, it put it back in.
'DOS' came up but then: signal blink digital/analog meaning no monitor signal. Offcourse the monitorcable was plugged in the videocard, dvi port.
BUT with no cooling fan/ribs on it. Does it sence that or so? Also in pc case, i have seen a red little led on the videocard, never seen before lit up. On the bottom, but above when in case and when cooler is pointing down position.

I guess the 'ditch' aside the chip is the coolant ridge? it is about the 'wall' of coolingpaste paste on the cooler itself, square wide wise.
Or is it a chip crack?
This is all new for me, so pls. how to continue...?

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
It must have the cooler on. Never run any computer hardware without it's cooler, you'll destroy the card for sure.

It must have the cooler on. Never run any computer hardware without it's cooler, you'll destroy the card for sure.

I will put it on if it is safe, now i do not dare it, yet.
Offcourse the cooler must be there when i will use the pc 'for 2 minutes and more', but is it a technical reason and the graphics card does know the cooler is not there, or should it show the windows screen until it burns up ?

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
The card doesn't care if there is a cooler connected or not, it will run until it burns up. And with an HD4850 it will burn up pretty fast.

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I will put it on if it is safe, now i do not dare it, yet.
Offcourse the cooler must be there when i will use the pc 'for 2 minutes and more', but is it a technical reason and the graphics card does know the cooler is not there, or should it show the windows screen until it burns up ?

The cooler should never be off of the card for any period of time. Once the card has power the GPU will instantly get hot. You may have now damaged it running it without a cooler.

The cooler should never be off of the card for any period of time. Once the card has power the GPU will instantly get hot. You may have now damaged it running it without a cooler.

Ok ALL thanx for the replyes.

When i put the old original cooler back on the card, in pc, all worked.

So old one off again, cleaning, coolpaste on it, new zalman full copper cooler on gpu, after heatsinks on memory (there where non before so this is extra) offcourse.

In pc, power on, YES it still works !!

Everyone here thanx for the help and explenation !!
Yet another experience ritcher and that is worth something aswell.

No red led anymore, so i guess it hAs a no-cooling installed security.

1 more question to you all:
What is gpu MEMIO temperature? I have never seen this, and it is at 65 degrees Celsius after playing a 3D derby/race game (flatout2) with all high settings.

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
It's just another GPU sensor. It does usually run hotter than the "main" sensor. Nothing to be concerned about. :)

System Name All Ryze
Processor Ryzen 7 1700
Motherboard MSI X370 Pro Carbon
Cooling Air
Memory G-skill Flare x 16GB 2400MHz
Video Card(s) MSI 1080
Storage Intel 600p NVMe 512GB for OS , 1TB WD Black and a 4TB Toshiba
Display(s) BENQ PD3200U
Case Phanteks
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 750W
Mouse Logitech G403 wired
Keyboard G19
Software Win 10 Pro
Oh noes. you did not run it with the cooler off did you? I would never get away with doing something like that.

System Name Darth Obsidious
Processor Intel i5 2500K
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+ in Push Pull
Memory 2X4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 270x TOP
Storage 128GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green
Display(s) LG IPS234V-PN
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D
Audio Device(s) Infrasonic Quartet
Power Supply Corsair HX650w
Software Windows 7 64bit and Windows XP Home
Benchmark Scores 2cm mark on bench with a razor blade.
Lol, yeah thats a lesson learn for sure!

It appears you may also want to take to cleaning your PC more as well.
It looks like the old cooler had been to the beach with all that light coloured dust.

I personally would have just gone out and bought an aftermarket cooler like the scythe Musashi or a AC Twin Turbo Pro. (If you have the reference shaped HD4850 PCB).

The ASUS cooling on those units seem really inadequate.

No contact RAM coolers or coolers on the VRMs at all.

But since it now goes....thats the main thing :)

http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-usd/products/vgacoolers/vf900-cu
Lol, yeah thats a lesson learn for sure!

It appears you may also want to take to cleaning your PC more as well.

Well it was an open 'caseing', very "COOL" looking, but a dust collector also.

It looks like the old cooler had been to the beach with all that light coloured dust.

Yep, that to, the dogs take some sand in some times ! :) (Really i live nearby the North-sea.)

I personally would have just gone out and bought an aftermarket cooler like the scythe Musashi or a AC Twin Turbo Pro. (If you have the reference shaped HD4850 PCB).

That is what i have now, old one off, new one on, zalman all copper, " ultra quiet high performance dual heatpipe vga cooler VF900-CU " so is stated on the box designed by the marketing department :)

System Name Darth Obsidious
Processor Intel i5 2500K
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+ in Push Pull
Memory 2X4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 270x TOP
Storage 128GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green
Display(s) LG IPS234V-PN
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D
Audio Device(s) Infrasonic Quartet
Power Supply Corsair HX650w
Software Windows 7 64bit and Windows XP Home
Benchmark Scores 2cm mark on bench with a razor blade.
Good the cooler at least comes with cooling for the RAM and the fan is working :)

With my AC Twin Turbo I had to edit the GPU BIOS to get the fan working by itself without help of software or external power. -_-''

Not that AC told me I needed to use external power or software to make the fans work otherwise.