• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

4850 Memory speed....vs Core

nanohead

OK. I have one 4850 who has lame memory somewhere. So looking through the OC threads, a pattern seems to have emerged where high Cores are with lower memory, and higher memory is with lower cores. This is my non statistical, caffeine influenced analysis, but it seems to be somewhat consistent.

The great question is, IS there any benefit to memory speed increases over core?

If I try to raise both, 3Dmark will blow up with some DirectX error. I'm now experimenting with lowering memory, and raising core. I suspect that the VRM section is only capable of satisfying a total voltage demand, and maybe if both core and mem are raised substantially, the whole thing falters... I dunno....

Right now, I've reduced the mem to 1000, and raised core to 740 and it crashes. So it seems that 730/1050 is the max for my pair at least at the moment

Ketxxx

Heedless Psychic
System Name Ravens Talon
Processor AMD R7 3700X @ 4.4GHz 1.3v
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Modded 240mm Coolermaster Liquidmaster
Memory 2x16GB Klevv BoltX 3600MHz & custom timings
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil
Storage 250GB Asgard SSD, 1TB Integral SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) 27" BenQ Mobiuz
Case NZXT Phantom 530
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX 7.1 PCI-E
Power Supply 1000w Supernova
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Fast. I don't need epeen.
They in a PCIE or PCIE 2.0 slot? I found my 3870 had rubbish memory clocking ability in a PCIE slot, but moving to PCIE 2.0 it now clocks pretty well. I think it has something to do with the backward compatibility and PCIE not being able to provide as much power via the slot as PCIE 2.0 can.

nanohead

All PCIe 2.0. Not sure how that would affect memory speed, but its worth a shot to play around with it for sure. I'm using a DFI LANParty 790FX board, and you can specify power to each PCIe slot, as well as set whether its running at either 1.1 or 2.0 PCIe spec. I might play around with it a bit. Worst that can happen is I'll cause a fire and have to buy all new parts :nutkick: