1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

4870 FPS issue

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by oli_ramsay, Jul 21, 2008.

1. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:
    Here's the issue:

When I first start playing Crysis I get good a good frame-rate:
    [​IMG]

But after I move around for a bit the frame rate goes right down and never recovers:
    [​IMG]

It stays around 20FPS instead of 30FPS which it was before. I can get the FPS to go up to 30 again by alt+tabbing back into the game but this isn't exactly practical every 30 seconds.

I had this issue with my old card and I can't remember how I fixed it, it's really annoying having a new card that you can't even use. I thought the 8.7 drivers would have fixed this issue but they haven't.

Please help me out because this i really pissing me off. Thanks :respect:

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. farlex85

farlex85

Thanks Received:
    AA goin? I've had this happen in that game in others too. If I do something that lowers the fps, it doesn't recover until I restart the game even if I change the settings back. AA most noticeably killed it w/ crysis.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:
    Yea, I don't like playing without AA and with these card it doesn;t hurt performance too much. I'll try it w/out AA and see if the same thing happens.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. farlex85

farlex85

Thanks Received:
    It won't hurt in most games, but well, you know crysis. There aren't many jaggies on 1680x1050 anyway, 2x should be all you need, but you shouldn't notice too much difference w/o any.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:
    I beg to differ, it looks awful (lot of jaggies) without AA even at 1680x1050.

It doesn't have the same issue when not using AA though so you're right there. It only happens with AA is enabled :(

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. farlex85

farlex85

Thanks Received:
    Well that's odd, I only get jaggies on certain buildings and such, most things are smooth. Are you on very high?

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. Megasty New Member

Thanks Received:
    Crysis does that for mostly every card out there. Its the way the coding handles the background.
    It does it with AA on or off. It even does it with the GTX280 which just pisses me off.
    Why did they have to make the silly game so that the background refreshes everytime there's a bit of movement.

There are 2 ways of limiting the frame drop: playing at lower settings or using a cfg file.

8. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:
    I'm using Jrob's extreme quality cfg in the games section here. I get very smooth FPS with AA off but when AA is on it just starts at 30-35 and goes straight down to ~20 which is gay.

"Crysis does that for mostly every card out there. Its the way the coding handles the background.
    It does it with AA on or off. It even does it with the GTX280 which just pisses me off.
    Why did they have to make the silly game so that the background refreshes everytime there's a bit of movement.

There are 2 ways of limiting the frame drop: playing at lower settings or using a cfg file."

I hope it is just Crysis that does it and not an defect in my card/OS.

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. mrw1986

mrw1986

Thanks Received:
    I play with jrob's mod at 1680x1050 no AA/AF and notice almost no jaggies...

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. Megasty New Member

Thanks Received:
    Jrob's is definitely the best that's out there. But I don't that problem with the AA. I get around 40-30 @ 1680x1050 & 30-20 @ 1920x1200 with just one 4870. I use 2xAA on both. The lousy 20 comes in at the habor & last level, but its still playable. I can't imagine going through the whole game at 20 fps.

11. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:
    i've taken a leaf out of your book and I'm now using 2xAA, I'm getting a lot smoother FPS and the original issue has now gone. It's only one game so it's not that big of an issue I suppose :)

10 Year Member at TPU