• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

5 months old SSD hot at 63º average and only 78% health

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
I did initially suggest that; Great minds think alike....

But then I edited it out of my reply; On closer inspection though, it looks like OP's laptop model has a common motherboard used for different chassis and his particular variant is too slim to include an optical bay. To make matters worse, HP have filled in the void left behind by no optical drive with a plastic grid to stop the keyboard from flexing into the void behind the motherboard.

View attachment 162826
(couldn't find the exact teardown, but that's a screencap from an HP 15-db0039ns which is likely just a spec/colour variant of OP's HP 15-db0045ns model)
Ok, I just assumed the pic OP posted (copied below) showed an optical drive above the space where the hard drive normally sits or at least it shows the mini sata connector for one.
002.jpg

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Ok, I just assumed the pic OP posted (copied below) showed an optical drive above the space where the hard drive normally sits or at least it shows the mini sata connector for one.
Yeah, that's exactly what I thought when I first replied. Turns out that's not an optical drive, it's the bottom of the keyboard.

Honestly not 100% sure but if we optimistically assume the 2.5" bay is 9.5mm tall instead of 7mm tall, you can see it's still rammed between the plastic of the palm rest and what looks to be a very thin 1mm blue foam spacer on the plastic back shell. so, internal space under the wrist rest is maybe 11mm. I'm not sure if there's room for a 9.5mm optical bay converter and the keyboard assembly - especially since the keyboard is likely to recessed back from the wrist rest a bit too to avoid interference with the screen when the lid closes.

Last edited:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
But then I edited it out of my reply on a hunch, as I was wondering whether a laptop with folding RJ45 jack would have room for a DVD drive. it looks like OP's laptop model has a common motherboard used for different chassis and his particular variant is too slim to include an optical bay. To make matters worse, HP have filled in the void left behind by no optical drive with a plastic grid to stop the keyboard from flexing into the void behind the motherboard.

Holy shit. So they removed the optical drive, but left the connector for it. But left room for a 2.5" SATA drive, but removed the connector for that. Wow, I knew HP had gotten bad, but this is just braindead bullshit.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
Cannot for the life of me Remember which laptop i scrapped this came out of
IMG_3496.JPG
IMG_3497.JPG
IMG_3498.JPG
IMG_3499.JPG

Last edited:
Ohh, the one time in a while i don't read through everything! I don't know the specs, but probably better than my own laptop! Haha.. Damn.. I should probably go look, but i'm tinkering with a kettle (yep, a kettle.. 4 months old and defective (not mine)! That's 'Blaupunkt' for you..)

Edit: Okay, he was still ripped off :p HP, i quite like.. But my ASUS Transformer convertible tablet thing about keeps up i think, some i7 5500U and 840M GT (eww) but at least i have a 1080p screen! Got it kinda cheap and ended up with one of those optical drive converters for it, plus the external subwoofer accessory! Bang and Olufsen (Philips..) speakers.. 250GB and 480GB SSDs, both SATA.. Does its job though! Use it for mobile music playback so it tends to get rattled by lots of bass..can't really use a mechanical in that situation :p just a shame its ASUS, really! Haha xD

Lol, no, I wasn't ripped at all, I love this laptop, it's super light and super fast, the CPU AMD Ryzen 2500U is faster than my previous Intel i5 and it has 12GB RAM, so, I love it, the price in Amazon new was 600€ and I got it used for 380€ and everything works and it has not even a scratch, it's only the high temperature of the SSD which seems to be in normal range, so I got a good deal I think. :)

Ouch, If your room is 37ºC then you have my condolences,

Lol, thank you very much. I guess our summer heat is like the rain or fog or cold or darkness in the northern countries, you never get used to it. 37º is almost average in July in Madrid but it gets up to 42º sometimes. However, the big problem has become air conditioning everywhere, they put it so cold that you get sick every summer. Here at home I have "only" 30º with all shutters closed and in the fresh part of the house.

20200721_184607.jpg

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Obvious solution if you don't have soldering skills to fit the SSD connector is to buy a larger NVMe drive with a larger cache.
Your 256GB drive is the bare minimum I would have installed, preferably a 1TB drive.
Most will come with a heatsink strip attached as the label to aid in cooling.