• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

5600xt Flash to unlock to clock core over 1820mhz?

Processor Ryzen 1600AF @4.2Ghz 1.35v
Motherboard MSI B450M PRO-A-MAX
Cooling Deepcool Gammaxx L120t
Memory 16GB Team Group Dark Pro Sammy-B-die 3400mhz 14.15.14.30-1.4v
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600 XT THICC II PRO
Storage 240GB Brave eagle SSD/ 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Dell SE2719HR
Case MSI Mag Vampiric 011C AMD Ryzen Edition
Power Supply EVGA 600W 80+
Software Windows 10 Pro
Anyone tried this?:

https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/comments/j9zuyb

I have PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT Red Dragon with has Micron memory on it and thinking about it.

Have it clocked to the max allowable without mod and it'll hold 1780+ on the core comfortably. Think card should do 2ghz easy, though might need play with volts a bit to see exactly what it's actually capable of.
Very tempting :toast:

@mb194dc have you tried this? I am getting 0FL01 "failed to read rom" when attempting to flash the first MSI bios, shame :(

Seems someone else has had the same issue and this is what the reply was:

At amdvbflash.exe -f -p 0 224178.rom (0:41 in the video) it says failed to read rom error 0FL01 :(

level 6
Pedro2553

1 point·7 days ago

Some boards seens to have this issue the only way to flash is using the linux tool then

Last edited:
I didn't try it yet, did see in the Reddit thread the version of ati flash from Igor might work if TPU version doesn't.

Might be related to this:

I have now tried in on RX 5600 XT Red Dragon and can confirm it worked ok for me.

I had to switch the bios to silent mode via switch on the card to be able to flash it using any of the utilities above. Wouldn't even flash the stock bios if set to OC profile on the card. Limit in this bios is 2100 on the core, can probably edit bios further with igor tools as well :). Will try stretch her legs a little and see what she can do with some benches.

GPU Z.gif

Display(s) Dell SE2719HR
Software Windows 10 Pro
I have now tried in on RX 5600 XT Red Dragon and can confirm it worked ok for me.

I had to switch the bios to silent mode via switch on the card to be able to flash it using any of the utilities above. Wouldn't even flash the stock bios if set to OC profile on the card. Limit in this bios is 2100 on the core, can probably edit bios further with igor tools as well :). Will try stretch her legs a little and see what she can do with some benches.

View attachment 173873

I may try my quiet bios, did you get the same error as me above on the performance bios?

I was getting ROM not erased. Error 0FL01 error on the first step when trying to flash.

In fact got that error trying to flash any bios at all, even the if I extracted current bios in GPU Z and then try to flash exactly the same one. Power Color must lock OC profile down so can't be flashed unless using their tool in DOS.

Got the idea to try the switch from this thread:

Display(s) Dell SE2719HR
Software Windows 10 Pro
I was getting ROM not erased. Error 0FL01 error on the first step when trying to flash.

In fact got that error trying to flash any bios at all, even the if I extracted current bios in GPU Z and then try to flash exactly the same one. Power Color must lock OC profile down so can't be flashed unless using their tool in DOS.

Got the idea to try the switch from this thread:
I tried my other bios, it gave me the same unable to read rom error using the ATIflash linked in the reddit thread, tried it with the 2.93 ATIflash from TPU and it looked like it started to work, then I got a black screen and a "no signal" message from my monitor, left it a few minutes to let it finish whatever it might have been doing before hard resetting, it rebooted and still shows my XFX bios on there, confirmed by using the upload function of GPU-Z and it linked me to this file https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/224419/224419 confirming it is still xfx bios, so looks like it's a no go for my card unless I try the Linux method but I don't think I have the time or inclination for that right now :rolleyes:

How are you getting on with yours?

Which exact 5600xt card do you have?

Only the downloaded version of ATI flash will work for the first flash I think as it's modified from the TPU version, I was also getting 0FL01 error on that step until I switched my card to silent mode bios. That appears to be common to a few power color cards going from that other thread. OC bios is locked down.

On the power color website they do provide a dos flash tool that can do both bios, and supply the stock bios for it. That tool was my plan B if I couldn't flash in windows. Linux too complicated, could do a VM and pass through the card to it to and flash like that, lot of bother though.

Mine is working unlocked now. I modified the bios again, set stock core to 2000 and the overdrive limit to 2500 and increased fan aggressiveness without having to do it in Radeon software. Been able to get the card to boost to 2060 in games without too much problem using 1087mv on the core.

Still trying to figure out how stable that is, might need modify voltage a bit, or how much further it can be pushed exactly. I think running in to power capabilities of the board because with only the one 8 pin connector and slot it can only pull about 150w max, even if the cooling can handle it.

MrBright

Yes it works on my XFX THICC III Ultra but I had to flash the first bios on Linux distro.
I've set my card to 1.02V and 1975MHz ( effective 1950Mhz) for GPU , I can handle almost 2100Mhz at 1.1 V and 2025Mhz at 1.05V. ram set to stock 1750Mhz.
Also I've edited my bios via morepowertools to set the right fan curve and set power to 220W. Now it draws ~200W at max GPU load ( but the readings are wrong ;p ) .
Temps are fine 2-3 degrees more than stock.
Will also try to mod V curve via MTP and Curve editor.
Remember to use the silent bios (microswitch to left) fot this mod in case something goes wrong.

@mb194dc
150W 8pin + 75W from Pcie ;p

Last edited:
I modified the bios again finally and reflashed with lower power and amp limit as was concerned card wouldn't be able to handle the power it was drawing and could damage it. @MrBright Yes 225w should be enough.

My card will do similar 2100mhz at around 1.1v, and benches somewhere in between a stock 5700 and 5700xt. I only use 1080p anyway so is plenty for me for now. Can push higher clocks and volts than that but power draw seems go vertical and don't want damage the card.

Hoping to get a 6800xt this time next year and move up to 4k then.

paulbaxendale

I managed to complete the flash, it took a bit of work but working fine on the Powercolor RX 5600xt.
Followed the instructions above, the first flash was fine but had to run it natively in Windows 10 DOS. I also installed the .64 bit file for the second part, rebooted into free DOS and completed the second part of the flash. Without installing the .64 bit file it failed to run the .exe file.
Once completed I verified that the vender is now showing as ATI with Max clock 2100!