• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

5850 Fan control?

sparksltd

Hum, this is both good and bad news. Good to know that neither the BIOS itself nor RBE is the problem here. But how do we stop the driver from bullying the BIOS out of the fan control job?

I was hoping you would know! :twitch:

Had anyone tried just installing the display driver?

doodkipje

Indeed, whatabout i try uninstalling ati drivers en AB and stuff, then reflash the bios, see if it would raise the fan according to temps correctly then?

BAGZZlash

RBE Author
Yeah, but you have to be sure that windows does not reinstall the driver by itself on bootup. Would be cool if you gave it a try! :toast:

sparksltd

Well I have just tried uninstalling the display driver then before rebooting reflashed the bios. Iv also tried just installing the display driver alone. I hope we find a way to make this work!

doodkipje

Good you uninstalled the display drivers, but what where the outcome's? did you bios-fan settings work or not? Share your wisdom!

sparksltd

It didnt make any difference. As soon as window loads drivers (including native) on boot the fan speed goes back to normal.

doodkipje

When you have uninstalled every ATI driver, CCC etc. + uninstalled any overclocking tools like MSI afterburner, AMD GPU tool etc. try doing this:

I guess you know where to find it, but it's under properties of your ''My computer'' shortcut, and then hardware (something like that, my windows is in dutch) and then click the uninstall button im pointing at in the screenshot.

I hope i made sense :rolleyes:

sparksltd

I found this on my travels not sure if it any good though.

WOULD YOU LIKE TO ADD FAN SPEED CONTROL TO CCC?
THIS WILL WORK WITH ALL CARD THAT HAVE temperature sensor E.G. 3870

This works on Catalyst 8.10 and above

Temperature sensor: If your fan has more than 2 wires

THIS WOULD REQUIRE YOU TO EDIT THE REG.

PLEASE BACKUP YOUR REG!!!!

START -> REGEDIT (RUN AS ADMIN) -> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM -> CurrentControlSet-> CONTROL -> CLASS -> {4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} -> 0000 (be sure to tweak your CURRENT drivers key MINE IS 0000)

THEN LOCATE AND EDIT THE VALUE DATA FOR EACH BELOW TO (2)

FanSpeedPercentActual_NA
FanSpeedPercentTarget_NA
FanSpeedRPMActual_NA
FanSpeedRPMTarget_NA

SO AFTER THEY WILL ALL HAVE DATA VALUE 2

EXIT -> REBOOT -> GO TO CCC -> OVERDRIVE

OR A SHORTCUT

OPEN REGEDIT -> FIND: FanSpeedPercentActual

THEN YOU WILL SEE THE 4 ABOVE RIGHT UNDER EACH OTHER
AND EDIT THE VALUE DATA TO (2)

EXIT -> REBOOT AND ENJOY

doodkipje

Great! :D I will make my attempt tomorrow aswell and ofcourse I will share my findings :)

doodkipje

I don't know if thats any good, never heard of it. You might try it out but be sure to backup your .reg file as it says. I'm not going to try this though, so many times I had to reinstall windows due to me destroying my registries :D

sparksltd

It worked! But im running on native driver at the moment so everything looks quite basic! Im going to try a couple of things now. I'll keep you updated

doodkipje

Did the regedit work or the removing all of your drivers which i explained work? In any case its great news :D

sparksltd

Your idea of uninstalling the driver. But as soon as windows reboots and installs driver again it goes back to normal:(

doodkipje

So my guess is that the integrated windows-display drivers mess with the fan settings, could there be any way that could stop windows from reinstalling that and permanently keeping that removed? Just writing the ideas that come up to me right now, share your thoughts please everyone :D

sparksltd

It seems that way. I tried to install the ati driver before windows reinstalled the windows-display driver but the ati driver would'nt install until windows had done its job of installing the windows-display driver.

If that makes any sence

doodkipje

Yes I understand what you're saying. Seems like we gotta figure out a way to stop this process :wtf: I'll try to do some googling tomorow, gotta sleep now, midnight hehe. Everyone keep the thread updated please :D

Uninstall ATI device from the Device Manager, when asked, Also remove dirvers? select 'yes'.
Then use a Driver cleaner like Driver Sweeper etc (on Guru3D there are some).
Boot in save mode, run driver cleaner again.
Start normally, Windows will ask for drivers, cancel. Install ATI drivers.

Hope this helps :)

doodkipje

Uninstall ATI device from the Device Manager, when asked, Also remove dirvers? select 'yes'.

Thanks alot, definitaly going to try this out tomorow, could anyone try this one out aswell? I guess two experiences are better then one.

sparksltd

Just tried it. While rebooting after installing the ati drivers the fan when back to normal speed again. It seems that the ati drivers take control of the fan speed.

What I didnt do though was install just the display drivers alone. Although I dont think it will make any difference.

I think we need to find out how to stop the ati drivers taking control of the fan speed.

Maybe its in the registry? Im not sure how it works though. Would it be a kernel driver or a user driver I wonder.

I am lost about the goal of this thread, but if you dan't want CCC to do anything, kill the process :D
The fan control is programmed into the card, you can change it with CCC or AFterburner.
Yet.. on booting it will always fall back to the boot values untill Windows and the drivers have loaded...

sparksltd

I am lost about the goal of this thread, but if you dan't want CCC to do anything, kill the process :D
The fan control is programmed into the card, you can change it with CCC or AFterburner.
Yet.. on booting it will always fall back to the boot values untill Windows and the drivers have loaded...

Stopping the ccc process doesn't stop the fan being controlled by the display driver though. Even with ccc uninstalled the fan is controlled by the driver instead of the bios.