• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

5port Switch, transformer power suply to molex, possible?

Hi Everyone,

I´m currently working on a project to revamp my home file/media/streaming/downloads server. I currently (and will continue to do so) use a small pico-itx via pc for downloads as the power usage is nothing compared to the main file server (leaving it on over night and so on) so currently I use a switch within the pc case (where both machines are stored) with it´s power cable leading outside the case and plugged in to the mains. However in the new project it will all be within a deskmod, so, while it´s not essential, it´d be much more usefull if I could feed power to the small switch through a molex connection. Now the AC connector is a 100-240 V AC, 50/60 Hz 5v unit, as far as I can tell through the cables there´s only 2 within it (+ & -), doesn´t seem to be a ground cable within it, question is, could I cut this cable, and put a molex conector in there, would this be ok? Would it not? and if so, how and why?

Thanks.

Processor 4GHz intel i7 950
Motherboard GA X58-USB3 F5
Cooling Noctua C12P
Memory 48GB G.Skill RipjawsZ
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 480 873/1746/1848
Storage Intel 520 Series
Display(s) HP 2210m
Case Antec 300
Power Supply Antec True Power New 750
Software Windows 8 Pro
Yeah you can power your switch from the 5V off your PSU, just, make sure you get polarity correct.

If you mean anything to do with mains power, then no, don't touch if you have to ask.

Processor Xeon x5650
Motherboard SABERTOOTH X58
Cooling Fans
Memory 24 GB Kingston HyperX 1600
Video Card(s) GTX 1060 3GB
Storage small ssd
Display(s) Dell 2001F, BenQ short throw
Case Lian Li
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply X750
Software Mint 19.3, Win 10
Benchmark Scores not so fast...
Good idea.

Bring the wall adapter to an electronics store and buy a connector so you wont have to cut the original.

I kinda did your idea, but i used a wire tap connector. It was in my mini itx box. The tap came from the 12v to power my modem and router.

Last edited:
Processor Xeon x5650
Cooling Fans
Storage small ssd
Case Lian Li
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply X750
What is the power supply situation on the pico itx?

I imagine a brick, but what is the voltage? If it's 5v, just split it. You could make an adapter, to keep the integrity of the original.

The other part of my mini itx server mod was the fact it was in the typical spot of a PSU in an atx case, while I put the PSU for the main system in the front of the bottom of the case. I put a regular three prong power jack on the bottom of the case. On the other side, I connected two power cords, one that goes to main PSU, and the other to the mini itx brick (shoved under the main atx PSU).

Mini itx stayed on, main rig on only when needed. Pics later.

In this case you can ignore I ever mentioned the pico-itx, the only reason I mentioned it was to explain why I wanted a switch within the case, so the power for the switch would come from a standard atx psu

Processor Xeon x5650
Cooling Fans
Storage small ssd
Case Lian Li
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply X750