• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

6 Everyday Things That Happen Strangely in Space

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Here's two of them to get you going:

You Can't Burp Beer

Because no gravity means no buoyant force, there's nothing pushing gas bubbles up and out of carbonated drinks in space. This means carbon dioxide bubbles simply stagnate inside sodas and beers, even when they're inside astronauts' bellies. Indeed, without gravity, astronauts can't burp out the gas — and that makes drinking carbonated beverages extremely uncomfortable.

Yes, can you imagine what all that trapped wind would feel like?! :eek:

You Sweat More

As explained in the context of candle flames, zero g's means there's no natural convection. This means body heat doesn't rise off skin, so the body constantly perspires in an effort to cool itself down. Even worse, because that steady stream of sweat won't drip or evaporate, it simply builds up. All this makes for a pretty moist journey to the beyond.

Ewww! Nuff said.

Read the rest at space.com

W

wahdangun

wtf.

Body heat transfer didn't rely on gravity, and isn't astronaut suit have cooling system in it.

wtf.

Body heat transfer didn't rely on gravity, and isn't astronaut suit have cooling system in it.

Convection is the flow of lower density air, pushed by higher density air. This flow is counter to that of gravity, because lower density fluids have less particles for gravity to exert a downward force on. In space there is no "down," thus lower density and higher density fluids can exist in pockets.

You generate large amounts of heat, thus you require convection currents (driven by density changes and gravitational forces) to cool yourself.

Additionally, they don't wear space suits inside the capsules. Space suits actually generate forced convection (like you'd find in an oven) using fans or pumps (in the case of liquid cooling) to generate pressure variances.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
I didn't agree with their explanation that a flame (item 2) only rises on earth due to the incredibly tiny difference in atmospheric density due to gravity within a space of one inch though. :shadedshu

The reason this happens is because the flame is damn hot! and is burning in the presence of gravity. Hot air is less dense than cold air, therefore, it sets up a convection current, where cold falls around the hot air, to the bottom. Where it's close to the flame, it then gets heated and rises and the process continues until the flame runs out of fuel. Heck, just think of an electric room heater or electric kettle heating water. Exactly the same convection currents occur here and there's no flame at all, just a temperature difference.

System Name PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 3600
Motherboard MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC12DX, 3 x NZXT FN 140mm, 1x NZXT FV V2 120mm
Memory 32gb DDR4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 290 DCII-OC 4GB
Storage corsair mp600 1TB
Display(s) LG 27MB85Z 27" 1440p
Case NZXT Source 340
Power Supply Thermaltake 675w
Mouse Logitech G500S
Keyboard Logitech G510S
Software Windows 8.1 64 bit
The reason this happens is because the flame is damn hot! and is burning in the presence of gravity. Hot air is less dense than cold air, therefore, it sets up a convection current, where cold falls around the hot air, to the bottom. Where it's close to the flame, it then gets heated and rises and the process continues until the flame runs out of fuel. Heck, just think of an electric room heater or electric kettle heating water. Exactly the same convection currents occur here and there's no flame at all, just a temperature difference.

yeah, and without gravity the less dense air expands in all directions instead of upwards

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
yeah, and without gravity the less dense air expands in all directions instead of upwards

Exactly, giving the ball flame shown in the picture. They didn't explain this in the article, but zero-g flames are also cooler, because the convection currents are absent.

Thatguy

Exactly, giving the ball flame shown in the picture. They didn't explain this in the article, but zero-g flames are also cooler, because the convection currents are absent.

convection currents are present, they aren't as asymetrical as they are on the planet due to the lower force of gravity.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
theres no gravity in space ? wow, how the hell does the earth orbit the sun then ?

I think you're missing something. An object in orbit feels no gravity, other than tidal forces. That's why you see the astronauts float around the space shuttle. Cheesy is right in this context.

convection currents are present, they aren't as asymetrical as they are on the planet due to the lower force of gravity.

Since gravity is negligible in orbit, the convection currents are effectively zero. It's weird, but true.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
I want to see popcorn popping in zero-G. Seriously.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes

Thatguy

I think you're missing something. An object in orbit feels no gravity, other than tidal forces. That's why you see the astronauts float around the space shuttle. Cheesy is right in this context.

objects in orbit experince gravity. The reason for the lack of apparance is likely due to the balance of gravity between the earth and the sun cancelling each other. Without gravity between the earth and the sun the earth would fly right the fuck out of its orbit.

Since gravity is negligible in orbit, the convection currents are effectively zero. It's weird, but true.

convection has nothing to do with gravity. convection occurs when a high pressure area moves into a low pressure area.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
objects in orbit experince gravity. The reason for the lack of apparance is likely due to the balance of gravity between the earth and the sun cancelling each other. Without gravity between the earth and the sun the earth would fly right the fuck out of its orbit.

Yes, you're definitely missing the point. :rolleyes: You don't appear to have understood what I've said. It's not possible to put it any more clearly, so I won't bother trying to explain it any further to you. All I can suggest, is that you carefully reread cheesy's and my posts again.

convection has nothing to do with gravity.

To put it politely, that's rubbish. :shadedshu You don't appear to have a very good grasp of physics.

Here's a nice handy explanation from Wikipedia:

Natural convection, or free convection, occurs due to temperature differences which affect the density, and thus relative buoyancy, of the fluid. Heavier (more dense) components will fall while lighter (less dense) components rise, leading to bulk fluid movement. Natural convection can only occur, therefore, in a gravitational field. A common example of natural convection is a pot of boiling water in which the hot and less-dense water on the bottom layer moves upwards in plumes, and the cool and more dense water near the top of the pot likewise sinks.

Natural convection will be more likely and/or more rapid with a greater variation in density between the two fluids, a larger acceleration due to gravity that drives the convection, and/or a larger distance through the convecting medium. Convection will be less likely and/or less rapid with more rapid diffusion (thereby diffusing away the gradient that is causing the convection) and/or a more viscous (sticky) fluid.

As you can see, convection most certainly does have everything to do with gravity.

System Name GDZLLR
Processor 2500K
Motherboard ASUS P67 Pro
Cooling Antec 920
Memory Corsair Dominator GT 1866MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX580 TF2 OC
Storage Nothing (Just kidding)
Display(s) BX2450
Case CM690 Nvidia Edition
Audio Device(s) Repeat after me: "I..am..a..lit..tle..piggy" ohhohohohh
Power Supply Antec HCG 900W [Gaming only uses 280-400w (O_o)]
Software Win 7 64bit Ultimate
Benchmark Scores 5 million Brownie Points

Yes objects in orbit experience "gravity" although it's more an "attractive force" due to the mass of the objects, just look at Newtons law of universal gravitation. :)

You know what's sad when we talk about stuff in space?
When you realise we are nothing but particles that can communicate, move around (most of the time at will), bla bla blaa ......etc etc. :cry: