• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

6700hq won't go over 900mhz please help

Processor Ryzen 7 5800x @ stock
Motherboard B550M motar wifi
Cooling Thermalright assassin 120 se
Memory DDR4 G.skill 32gb @ 3600mhz
Video Card(s) RTX 2070
Storage 3x Crucial MX500 1tb SSDs
Display(s) Acer nitro XV272U 1440p 170hz
Case Deepcool M370
Power Supply Thermaltake GX2 600w
So I have my older gaming laptop that I had for some times ago, I recently bought a new SSD for it and it appears to work fine but when I play a game or browse the internet, it feels really really slow, and this is a 6700hq...

I found out my CPU wasn't going over 900mhz speed in task manager and to my surprise it's on the charger on 'high performance mode' I tried looking into the bios and everything is on defaults with a new bios since it hasn't been used since 2018 been in it's box this whole time. I decided to replace the charger, the thermal paste on both the cpu and gpu with MX4 just in case, but still nothing I can't go over 900mhz for some unknown reason.. Would I be able to set a multiplier and be good?

I really need help with what to do with throttlestop since I never used it no idea if it can shed some light on this. My laptop is alienware 17 R3

specs
6700hq
8GB ram
GeForce 970M
500gb OS ssd
1tb SSD

hmm.pngUntitled.png

Attachments

• sdd.png
    sdd.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 47
  • bbf.png
    bbf.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 48
Last edited:

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Enable SpeedStep in the BIOS and in ThrottleStop and enable Speed Shift in the ThrottleStop TPL window. Let me know if that helps.

Video Card(s) RTX 2070
Case Deepcool M370
Enable SpeedStep in the BIOS and in ThrottleStop and enable Speed Shift in the ThrottleStop TPL window. Let me know if that helps.

My laptop shuts off and reboots with it enabled I tried doing it in bios, and it tries to boot into windows but reboots same thing inside of throttlestop it stays ok for a minute then shuts off. I can't figure out what to do now.

It seems almost like it's hitting a thermal limit when speedshift is enabled even though it's at 50c CPU.

Last edited:

unclewebb

I decided to replace the charger
Did you replace the charger with a Dell OEM charger with the exact same power rating and model number as the original power adapter? A lot of Dell laptops will not run properly when using a generic power adapter.

Some users have trouble with this thermal paste when used on a laptop CPU. It can quickly pump out. Did you spread it on the CPU and GPU or did you just apply a dot in the middle? I would disassemble your laptop and check to see if the entire CPU is covered with thermal paste and that the CPU is making good contact with the heatsink.

it stays ok for a minute then shuts off
You should be able to check the Speed Shift box in ThrottleStop without your computer shutting off. Is your computer idle when it shuts off or are you in the middle of a stress test when this happened?

Video Card(s) RTX 2070
Case Deepcool M370
Did you replace the charger with a Dell OEM charger with the exact same power rating and model number as the original power adapter? A lot of Dell laptops will not run properly when using a generic power adapter.

Some users have trouble with this thermal paste when used on a laptop CPU. It can quickly pump out. Did you spread it on the CPU and GPU or did you just apply a dot in the middle? I would disassemble your laptop and check to see if the entire CPU is covered with thermal paste and that the CPU is making good contact with the heatsink.

You should be able to check the Speed Shift box in ThrottleStop without your computer shutting off. Is your computer idle when it shuts off or are you in the middle of a stress test when this happened?

1. Yes I had bought a spare one some time ago from the dell website before this model was EOL. My old one wasn't working before making a hissing sound :eek:

2. I use a small pea sized amount on both the CPU and GPU, I checked it out last night taking it apart and it was evenly spread with the heatsink on. Maybe some screw is on too tight but I didn't tighten them up since that would strip the screw.

3. It's on idle, it can be when booting into windows with speedshift enabled in bios or just ticking the box in throttlestop in windows with speedshift disabled in bios.

unclewebb

My old one wasn't working before making a hissing sound
Perhaps your previous power supply damaged something on the motherboard.

If your computer cannot sit idle for more than a minute with Speed Shift enabled then there is something wrong with your computer.

since it hasn't been used since 2018 been in it's box this whole time
If a computer is damaged then that might be the reason why it has been sitting in a box for 4 years. Something is definitely wrong. I am not sure how to troubleshoot this problem further.

Video Card(s) RTX 2070
Case Deepcool M370
Would setting a min/max for speed shift do anything? maybe it's too high was at 128, I see that the max says 35.

Are you using the correct rated charger? for example ;if you use a 65w charger with a 90w laptop it will throttle. dose the speed increase when u unplug the charger? if it dose then that's your problem

Video Card(s) RTX 2070
Case Deepcool M370
Are you using the correct rated charger? for example ;if you use a 65w charger with a 90w laptop it will throttle. dose the speed increase when u unplug the charger? if it dose then that's your problem

Its output is 19.5v 12.3A 240W the old one was 19.5v 10.8A

unclewebb

If the power adapter is not the exact same model as the original power adapter, this might cause a problem. If you try to use a power adapter that the BIOS does not fully recognize, it can cause problems for Dell laptops. The power rating is not important if the BIOS does not recognize the power adapter.

Speed Shift Max in the TPL window should be set to 35 for your CPU. If this is set higher, it does not matter.

The 128 number is the Speed Shift EPP value. That setting is OK. I prefer to use 80 for EPP or you can use 0 if you want maximum speed regardless of load.