• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

6970 bios question etc

System Name n\a
Processor Intel I7 6700
Motherboard GA-Z170-Gaming K3 (rev. 1.1)
Cooling 6x120mm akasa viper 83cfm fans
Memory ddr4 240 mhz
Video Card(s) powercolor rx 480
Storage kingston savage 240 gb ssd x2
Display(s) benQ 27 inch monitor
Case Lian Li PC-B70
Audio Device(s) HD Onboard
Power Supply ocz zx 850w gold psu
Software Windows 10 x64
in january of this year i purchased a powercolor HD6970 but from getting it i was getting high temps , after i returned it for rma i got it back with no fault found . i then got in touch with powercolor to see what the max safe temp was , the reply i got was try not to let it go above 95c and i could replace the Tim as long as it was the same colour as the stock paste . i replaced it with mx4 which dropped the temps by upto 10c , only problem was it did not last long and i had to redo it . so i set a fan profile up in afterburner and a few weeks ago i decided to buy a second 6970 , managed to get a matching stock 6970 which i was lucky to get it as they sold fast . one thing i did notice with the new powercolor 6970 is it runs a lot cooler than my other powercolor 6970 with the same ref cooler , also noticed the bios was newer so here is my question lol .
can a bios make a 6970 run cooler with it running the same fan speed as my older card ? , pics below of the 2 in gpu-z

i have also replaced the mx4 with a different TIM and the temps are even better