1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

780i XFX

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by lilkiduno, Aug 23, 2008.

1. lilkiduno

Thanks Received:
    this is a tread to find out how good the 780i XFX board is... i have seen a deal on a xfx 780i board, i am going to buy it and i just want to know how good the board is.

can you tell mw what cpu and ram you have with your boards, and maybe your benchmarks

2. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its just reference Nvidia design with non-solid caps if you can get the EVGA 750i FTW cheaper its a better board.

3. lilkiduno

Thanks Received:
    well i found this board cheaper the any other sli board, right now im not going to be running sli, i just want a nice board that will, and this is the board i was lookinf at...i just want to know what people that have this board's specs are

4. boogah New Member

Thanks Received:
    What are the main usage for this machine ? What cards are you going to put in for SLI and what processor. I don't have problem OC nforce chips but alot of people complains about it.

but for some comparison

For normal SLI operation 750i is better than 680i but 780i performs better than 750i + you can use 3 cards.

At low resolutions they all perform about the same at higher resolution however the 780i have about 5-7 % better than 750i and 10-12% over the 680i. If that helps O_O

XFX has double lifetime warranty

5. lilkiduno

Thanks Received:
    well right now im only going to have a 8600 GTS or a 8800 GTS, not two or three cards, and i will soon be pruching a Q6600 or better.

I want o put in 4gb od DDR2 800, OCZ is my preferered brand.
    i am rele wanting this board because im getting it at such a low price.

my mind has pretty much be made up on the buying of the board,
    whats the diffrence between the XFX style board and the eVGA style board?

I have seen a stable Q6600 and eVGA 780i, working and running pretty good, shot a low 18's with two 8800GTS

6. boogah New Member

Thanks Received:
    XFX and EVGA boards are pretty much the same... since they both uses reference Nvidia designs. Sometime EVGA will make their own version with better capacitors and 8-phase currents etc.. but ofcourse they are priced higer. Q6600 has to be a good batch for good OC. 4 gb of ram will limit your OC potential. 2gb of 1066 rams will be much more stable. If you want fast stable gaming go with dual core. If you just want high benchmarks you go with the quad.

7. lilkiduno

Thanks Received:
    if i understand the artical i have read, single gig sticks are better and easier to overclock vs dual gig sticks, i have a dual core for games and my cousin has the eVGA 780i with a Q6600 so i have seen the set up before, his computer is a relitively good gaming mechine to, i believe he has the Q6600 at 3.4 Gigahurtz with 4 dual sticks of corsair Domanatior serise 1066 ram, my intetions would be to overclock my OCZ 800 to 1066. with 4 one gig sticks im sure the ram would be more stable. im not sure seeing as how im not a overclocker. i don't know how to so i caould be completly wrong.... im not sure if i want to install the Q6600 or if i want to get the Q6850 Extream.:pimp:

8. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    I picked up an XFX 780i Sli, my Asus P5K-E creams it, not a very great board.

10 Year Member at TPU