• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

7950 crashing in some games

pinkeen

Hello!

First of all, to be clear - I don't do any OC. Putting my boxes together by myself gives me enough thrills and fun. I prefer to tweak my software ;).

I bought Sapphire HD7950 DualX Boost (925/1250 stock clocks) half a year ago. All of the games ran fine. The only one that had problems was Crysis 3 (that was one of the games I tried first). It randomly crashed with grayish vertical stripes. Only hard reboot helped. I thought it was driver issues at the time and forgot about it, because I didn't like Crysis anyway.

The problems reappeared when I wanted to play Metro LL. It crashes randomly too. Sometimes it's the stripes, sometimes gray screen, sometimes black screen. Only hard reboot works. There are no artifacts, game runs close to 60fps most of the time.

Batman Arkham Origins has the same problems.

The thing is I finished many other demanding games on this card (like FarCry 3) with no problems.

First guess - heat. Nope, that's not it - card stays cool at 60-63°C during gaming. CPU stays at 60-70°C during max stress too.
Second guess - PSU. Not that too. I bought a brand new Lepa G750-MAS - didn't help at all.
Third guess - RAM. Left memtest running for the night - 100% OK. Switched the sticks around - didn't help. Disabled dual channel - no dice.

I tried updating mobo bios, updating/downgrading drivers, reinstalling system, even tried Windows 8.

I logged temperatures/voltages/clocks/fans from all of the sensors and there are no anomalies before the crash. Everything's solid and stable at all times.

I noticed some other strange things too:
- I can throw Furmark, OCCT, whatever at it and it doesn't crash, everything's stable. Well, temps during stress tests are around 70°C (around 10°C more than during gaming) but that's perfectly normal.
- During burn-in in Furmark the core clock is being throttled back to 850 most of the time and the vcore constantly changes oscillating around 1.0V. During gaming vcore is stable at 1.17V. That's probably PowerTune in action, but I thought that it isn't supposed to change vcore, only the clocks.
- The card has two bioses 015.029.000.002.000000 (no light) and 015.030.000.001.000000 (blue light on the bios switch). The strange thing is both bioses have the same clocks (925/1250) but the second one which should be faster has even lower PowerTune limit. The card won't accept any other bios - compatible (dev/subsystem id) or not. I tried all of the 100% compatible ones and a few others. Computer won't boot, no POST, just black screen.

There absolutely no problems with my old GPU (GTX260), so I doubt that some other piece of hardware is at fault.

Trying to RMA is a last resort because Sapphire doesn't allow direct RMA and I lost the receipt. I can try and reason with the guys from the small shop, where I've bought it (I ordered it on-line but picked it up in person, so they have a record of the sale) but I have to be sure it's the card.

My box:
FX-8350
Asrock 970 Pro3
1xHD7950
Lepa G750-MAS
2x4GB RAM (plain kingston sticks, not some extreme OC stuff and whatnot)
1x spinning HDD

If anybody's wondering - the PSU has single 62A (744W) 12V rail and according to some in-depth reviews it's quite good. 750W is more than enough to handle my system.

System Name ---
Processor FX 8350 @ 4.00 Ghz with 1.28v
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FX-UD3 v4.0, Hacked Bios F4.x
Cooling Silenx 4 pipe Tower cooler + 2 x Cougar 120mm fan, 3 x 120mm, 1 x 200 mm Red LED fan
Memory Kingston HyperX DDR3 1866 16GB + Patriot Memory DDR3 1866 16GB
Video Card(s) Asus R9 290 OC @ GPU - 1050, MEM - 1300
Storage Inland 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD for OS, WDC Black - 2TB + 1TB Storage, Inland 480GB SSD - Games
Display(s) 3 x 1080P LCDs - Acer 25" + Acer 23" + HP 23"
Case AeroCool XPredator X3
Audio Device(s) Built-in Realtek
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Modular
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
try increasing the powertune % to 10% and see if it stabilizes.

Check out the mobo VRM temp, it might be heating up. Put a 80mm fan on it or open up the case and try playing your game. Since you already did basic troubleshooting with graphics, let see if the mobo is good, that cpu is known for sucking lot of juice, try to lower its clock and undervolt it to see if the problem goes away.

Powertune option for the graphics card should help.

:toast:

Processor i7 2700K @ 4.8 Ghz
Motherboard Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z
Cooling Zalman CPNS9900-A LED
Memory Corsair Dominator GT CMT16GX3M4X2133C9 (4x4 Gb)
Video Card(s) 2 x (Sapphire) AMD Radeon HD7970 [Ref] -(crossfire) [out via DVI-D]
Storage 4 x WDC WD1002FAEX
Display(s) Dell U3011 @ 2560x1600 [in via DVI-D]
Case Coolermaster Stacker STC T01
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro [PCI-E]
Power Supply Corsair AX 1200W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
Even though you don't overclock, enable Overdive in CCC and set the power slider to 20%. It's a measure to prevent underpower.

The voltage fluctuation you see is normal: it is supposed to be dynamic (the set vcore is just the max value).

Last edited:

Random Murderer

The Anti-Midas
System Name TOO MUCH RADIATOR! | The TV Box a.k.a. The Shoebox
Processor Core i7 4930K @ 4.5GHz | Core i5 6600K @ 4.5GHz
Motherboard Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme | Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
Cooling Custom water on CPU and GPU, dual 360mm radiators | Corsair H80i
Memory 4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-1600 | 2x 4GB G.Skill RipJaws 4 DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) Sapphire AMD R9 295x2 | PowerColor AMD HD7970
Storage Samsung SSD 830 256GB, various others | 2x 1TB Seagate Barracudas in RAID1
Display(s) Dell U2713HM 2560x1440 IPS | Panasonic TC-L32E5 1080p IPS TV
Case Thermaltake Suppressor F51 (stripped down to hold two radiators) | Cooler Master Elite 130
Audio Device(s) RM-DAC -> Xiang Sheng 708b -> Sennheiser HD650 | HDMI sound device on 7970
Power Supply LEPA G1600-MA 1600W | Corsair CX750M 750W
Software Win 10 64
Benchmark Scores over 9000 BungholioMarks, "Bitchin' Fast"
My guess is your VRMs are overheating, either on your motherboard or GPU itself.

System Name Chachamaru-IV | Retro Battlestation
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Intel Pentium II 450MHz
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F Gaming | MSI MS-6116 (Intel 440BX chipset)
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4
Memory 32GB Corsair DDR4-3000 (16-20-20-38) | 512MB PC133 SDRAM
Video Card(s) nVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 FE | 3dfx Voodoo3 3000
Storage 1TB WD_Black SN850 NVME SSD (OS), Toshiba 3TB (Storage), Toshiba 3TB (Steam)
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G5 27" @ 1440p144 & Dell P2312H @ 1080p60
Case SilverStone Seta A1 | Beige box
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-7 (Speakers), Creative Zen Hybrid headset | Sound Blaster AWE64
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G2 | 250W ASETEC
Mouse Roccat Kone Air| Microsoft Serial Mouse v2.0A
Keyboard Vortex Race3 | Dell AT102W
Software Microsoft Windows 11 Pro | Microsoft Windows 98SE
MY GTX 580 had a similar problem, which I figured was driver-related. But several revisions later it was still doing it. I cleared all the dust out of it with compressed air and put it back, no further issues. Just try that and see if it helps.

Video Card(s) 2 x (Sapphire) AMD Radeon HD7970 [Ref] -(crossfire) [out via DVI-D]
My guess is your VRMs are overheating, either on your motherboard or GPU itself.

DualX has two fans, plus card isn't overclocked. Overheat is very unlikely. Underpower during peak performance (Crysis 3, Metro): likely yes, if the powerslider is at 0.

pinkeen

DualX has two fans, plus card isn't overclocked. Overheat is very unlikely. Underpower during peak performance (Crysis 3, Metro): likely yes, if the powerslider is at 0.

I've read that the VRMs have poor cooling (someone slapped thermal pads on them) on Sapphire DualX/VaporX GPUs - I haven't checked if mine has those funky pads yet. Anyway I doubt that it's the VRMs because most people find this card very stable, even during overclocking.

I would rather expect poor ASIC quality --> higher power requirements. It's seems strange that I have to adjust the PowerTune with stock clocks. What's even more strange is that the GPU's stable during stress testing and crashes in games (but not all of them).

I didn't want to suggest anything but I already tried adjusting PoweTune to +20% yesterday and Metro didn't crash for an hour. Didn't have time to test longer so it's not a definitive fix yet. Usually it crashes after 20-40 minutes but not always. I will do more testing and report back.

Thank you all for the tips! Didn't expect such swift and constructive response ;).

Even if it works the topic isn't over, because I want to know why it works... :shadedshu

UPDATE:
It just happened again after ~3 minutes of playing metro. Powetune is set at +20%.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7 5800x @ 4,85Ghz
Motherboard AORUS MASTER X570
Cooling Costume External Water Loop 1080 Rad
Memory Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-3600 16GB @3800 mhz cl16
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Water
Storage Raid0 4 x Sasmsung 850 EVo, 980 1TB M.2
Display(s) ASUS Swift
Case Open test bench
Power Supply Be quiet! 850 P10
Mouse G703
Keyboard Old USB Dell Keyboard x2
VR HMD Rift S
Software Windows 11
UPDATE:
It just happened again after ~3 minutes of playing metro. Powetune is set at +20%.

Use GPU-Z to check on your VRM Temperatures. Make sure.

pinkeen

Use GPU-Z to check on your VRM Temperatures. Make sure.

GPU-Z doesn't display VRM Temps. How can I check them?

Update:
I have another theory - people all over internet write that the Sapphire HD7950 VaporX cards have a stock bios that sets 1.5V on the memory. The nominal mvddc should be 1.6V according to the manufacturer's specs. This causes random crashes in games that use a lot of VRAM. This would explain why the card doesn't crash during stress testing (low vram usage) and in most games, but crashes in others. I noticed that Metro has very detailed textures. One of the highest resolution textures I've seen in games.

I contacted Sapphire's support but they aren't helpful. They didn't even acknowledge the tests that I've already done but repeat the same stuff like mantra. Their best advice is to install the drivers from the CD which came with the GPU.

Last edited:
System Name ---
Processor FX 8350 @ 4.00 Ghz with 1.28v
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FX-UD3 v4.0, Hacked Bios F4.x
Cooling Silenx 4 pipe Tower cooler + 2 x Cougar 120mm fan, 3 x 120mm, 1 x 200 mm Red LED fan
Memory Kingston HyperX DDR3 1866 16GB + Patriot Memory DDR3 1866 16GB
Video Card(s) Asus R9 290 OC @ GPU - 1050, MEM - 1300
Storage Inland 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD for OS, WDC Black - 2TB + 1TB Storage, Inland 480GB SSD - Games
Display(s) 3 x 1080P LCDs - Acer 25" + Acer 23" + HP 23"
Case AeroCool XPredator X3
Audio Device(s) Built-in Realtek
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Modular
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Try HWInfo and log the values.

Random Murderer

The Anti-Midas
Storage Samsung SSD 830 256GB, various others | 2x 1TB Seagate Barracudas in RAID1
Case Thermaltake Suppressor F51 (stripped down to hold two radiators) | Cooler Master Elite 130
Audio Device(s) RM-DAC -> Xiang Sheng 708b -> Sennheiser HD650 | HDMI sound device on 7970
Software Win 10 64
Update:
I have another theory - people all over internet write that the Sapphire HD7950 VaporX cards have a stock bios that sets 1.5V on the memory. The nominal mvddc should be 1.6V according to the manufacturer's specs. This causes random crashes in games that use a lot of VRAM. This would explain why the card doesn't crash during stress testing (low vram usage) and in most games, but crashes in others. I noticed that Metro has very detailed textures. One of the highest resolution textures I've seen in games.

I contacted Sapphire's support but they aren't helpful. They didn't even acknowledge the tests that I've already done but repeat the same stuff like mantra. Their best advice is to install the drivers from the CD which came with the GPU.

You probably saw Ket's thread(s) about it. AFAIK, this only affects the VaporX.
That being said, have you tried both of your card's BIOSes? The general consensus in the VaporX threads was that one BIOS had the correct memory voltage, while the other was undervolted on the RAM. If you believe this to be your problem, try the other BIOS on your card (if you haven't already) with it's powertune raised to its max setting.

Also, when you crashed so quickly in Metro with +20%, did you check the core temp? As for VRM temps, if your card doesn't provide sensors for them, then it'll be very tough to gauge how hot they're getting. You may have just missed them, when monitoring my 7970s in GPU-Z I have to actually scroll down on the sensors page to find the VRM temp sensors.

pinkeen

You probably saw Ket's thread(s) about it. AFAIK, this only affects the VaporX.
That being said, have you tried both of your card's BIOSes? The general consensus in the VaporX threads was that one BIOS had the correct memory voltage, while the other was undervolted on the RAM. If you believe this to be your problem, try the other BIOS on your card (if you haven't already) with it's powertune raised to its max setting.

I thought that VaporX and DualX are close cousins. I've already tried the second bios but not with PowerTune adjusted. Will check it out, thanks.

Is there a way to check mvddc?

Also, when you crashed so quickly in Metro with +20%, did you check the core temp?

Forgot to enable logging this time but I never saw the temps rise above 72 deg.

As for VRM temps, if your card doesn't provide sensors for them, then it'll be very tough to gauge how hot they're getting.
Definitely don't have the sensors.

BTW Sapphire's support suggested that I test the card in a different PC to isolate the problem. It sounds like not so bad advice, although I'm 90% sure it's the card. The problem is my second box is a bit underpowered for this card (Phenom X2) and the results can be deceiving. When you think about it some more - the results would be deceiving in most cases. The only reliable way to isolate this problem would be to swap each component one-by-one.

I have the impression that Sapphire is stalling.

BTW2 I looked at the VRMs - they don't have thermal pads like on the VaporX but there's an airgap (1-1.5mm) between them and the heatsink. Actually they don't have the solid part of heatsink above but only radiator fins. This might be good because the fan is just above the fins.

Random Murderer

The Anti-Midas
Software Win 10 64
I thought that VaporX and DualX are close cousins. I've already tried the second bios but not with PowerTune adjusted. Will check it out, thanks.

Is there a way to check mvddc?
Not that I'm aware of if it's not in the GPU-Z sensors tab. (other than multimeter, of course)
BTW Sapphire's support suggested that I test the card in a different PC to isolate the problem. It sounds like not so bad advice, although I'm 90% sure it's the card. The problem is my second box is a bit underpowered for this card (Phenom X2) and the results can be deceiving. When you think about it some more - the results would be deceiving in most cases. The only reliable way to isolate this problem would be to swap each component one-by-one.

I have the impression that Sapphire is stalling.
It's worth a shot. I assume you have steam, so install it on the Phenom rig, toss the 7950 in, and play some Metro.
BTW2 I looked at the VRMs - they don't have thermal pads like on the VaporX but there's an airgap (1-1.5mm) between them and the heatsink. Actually they don't have the solid part of heatsink above but only radiator fins. This might be good because the fan is just above the fins.
Are you sure you're not looking at the chokes? The chokes are the squarish bits and the VRMs are short and behind the chokes. For a better example, I uploaded a pic(credit goes to w1zz for the original picture):
The chokes are circled in RED and the VRMs in GREEN.

pinkeen

Are you sure you're not looking at the chokes? The chokes are the squarish bits and the VRMs are short and behind the chokes. For a better example, I uploaded a pic(credit goes to w1zz for the original picture):
The chokes are circled in RED and the VRMs in GREEN.

You're right, I was looking at the chokes.

I have another idea - I've got an old GTS250 lying around. I'll toss it in and try playing some games...

I suspect that something's wrong with the mobo. Many people over the net complaining that asrock's Pro3/Extreme3 mainboards freeze a lot. Especially when paired with FX-8350.

I noticed a weird thing - the default (@ auto) memory voltage is 1.585V. I forced it to 1.5V and will se what happens. Is it possible that CPU-Z/HWinfo report the memory timings incorrectly? Because they both say RAM is at 4-5-5-15 (667Mhz). That's crazy because I'm pretty sure the computer wouldn't post with these timings. I tried to force them in BIOS to match the SPD but software still reports 4-5-5.

System Name panda
Processor 6700k
Motherboard sabertooth s
Cooling raystorm block<black ice stealth 240 rad<ek dcc 18w 140 xres
Memory 32gb ripjaw v
Video Card(s) 290x gamer<ntzx g10<antec 920
Storage 950 pro 250gb boot 850 evo pr0n
Display(s) QX2710LED@110hz lg 27ud68p
Case 540 Air
Audio Device(s) nope
Power Supply 750w superflower
Mouse g502
Keyboard shine 3 with grey, black and red caps
Software win 10
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/marsey99/
mem volts should be 1.6v not 1.5v that being said i would bet they will do stock clocks on 1.5v too as mine will do 1500 on 1.6v.

have you tried to see if the sensors read right on the other bios switch?

have you tried to flash the bios of the card to a newer one?

the way it is crashing on crysis sounds like it is undervolted/clocked too high to me, from an overclockers perspective, but i would try dropping the core clock back with something like trixx or afterburner and seeing if that helps it any too.

if yours is like mine (idk tbh) the black plate under the fans and heatsink should be cooling the ram and vrm so that shouldnt be an issue.

aida64 reads every sensor on these cards too.

[...] Is it possible that CPU-Z/HWinfo report the memory timings incorrectly? Because they both say RAM is at 4-5-5-15 (667Mhz). [...]

Yes CPU-Z can be wrong about actual multiplier, actual core speed, actual ram timings... just trust what you put in in BIOS yourself.

pinkeen

The strangest thing happened. I cleared the CMOS (jumper & battery).
Now I can't run anything graphically intensive. Metro LL crashes few secs after launch. OCCT GPU test crashes the display as soon as hit the "ON" button. It worked a few times (after clearning the CMOS) but now it crashes all the time.

Even windows crashed a few times and wouldn't boot a few times.

Now I am clueless.

Even stranger thing is that I can run Unigine Valley under Linux without any problems.

UPDATE:
Tried booting to linux once again - crash. This time the computer didn't boot. No fans, no nothing, just the power light and the noise of hdd spinning up. I put the gts250 in and everything seems to be working, so the radeon is pretty dead. 400USD down the drain (yes, pc hardware is a bit more expensive here than in US). What happened?

mem volts should be 1.6v not 1.5v that being said i would bet they will do stock clocks on 1.5v too as mine will do 1500 on 1.6v.

According to SPD and manufacturer it should be 1.5V.

have you tried to flash the bios of the card to a newer one?

There is no newer bios. I tried to flash every compatible bios but not one will boot.

the way it is crashing on crysis sounds like it is undervolted/clocked too high to me, from an overclockers perspective, but i would try dropping the core clock back with something like trixx or afterburner and seeing if that helps it any too.

Tried underclocking the core & mem to no avail.

Last edited:

pinkeen

The card isn't fried.

The computer started shutting down, rebooting and all of the weird stuff even with the old card. I took it apart and carefully removed all the dust with compressed air. Put back the 7950 in and it's working. I think that some dust has gotten into the empty RAM slots while I was clearing the CMOS.

I haven't checked if the problem with games still persists, but I would guess it does. The recent crashes were probably unrelated.

I noticed a strange thing - one of the memory chips has no cooling. The other ones are cooled by the main heatsink but the one on the side is completely naked. Is this right? It would explain why only the games using much VRAM crash. What do you think?

I found a picture on sapphire's website - apparently it is naked by design:

BTW The VRMs have a dedicated heatsink so they should be fine.

Last edited: