1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

7970 Dual Monitor problem

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by BBlax, Feb 14, 2012.

1. BBlax New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've had the 7970 for several hours now and here are the things I found:

-When using dual monitors, the lowest core clock it will go is 350mhz
    -During any sudden movements of the window (such as scrolling in your browser), the core will go all the way up to the highest stock clock 900~1000(depending on your card) then quickly jump back down to the idle clock.
    -Your idle voltage and load voltage constantly switches back and forth at rapid intervals due to this

Has anyone found how out to stop the throttling of the GPU completely? I've attempted the set a 2D clock in afterburner but the lowest it'll go is 505, I can edit the profile myself via the cfg file, but then it glitches out.

I can't imagine how damaging it would be to the card if these voltage fluxuations continue, and not only that, having the core constantly jumping to 3D clocks rises the GPU temp to 60C while idling.

2. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
  3. BBlax New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm using the latest 7970 drivers, a release candidate I believe, since there isn't even official drivers out yet.

I was thinking it was more of a Power state issue (too sensitive?), since the drivers itself are functioning fine.

4. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    What OS are you running and do you have Aero turned on? Could be something with that. My 6870 won't drop to the lowest GPU clocks with dual monitors set up either, but I can't say I've noticed if it jumps when I do things like you do, don't notice any flicker to the screen though. I'd also see what support either/both AMD and the card maker will offer. If it is something oddly hardware based, they will be able to get that sorted.