• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

7970 Ghz crossfire VS GTX 780

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm rocking a 7970 Ghz (Vapor X cooler) and I am interested in crossfiring (most likely a Gigabyte Windforce as my motherboard only has so much space). However, I am also somewhat interested in the upcoming 780, especially if rumours hold true and it's basically just a slightly less powerful Titan and only 1 gb less VRAM.

I know the CFX'ed 7970ghz will outperform the 780 (and Titan) by a good margin, however I am also weary of things like latency issues, stuttering, power consumption and of course, temperature.

If I sell my current GPU (should be about 420, give or take a few), I should be relatively closer to getting a GTX 780, assuming it's sticking with 599-699 price range. Or I could just shell out another 400 or so and get another 7970ghz.

So, which is the better choice here? Is the extra performance worth the headaches that some people talk about, the heat and power consumption? Or is the single GPU, which is proposed to be about 30 percent better than a 680 (which is more or less equal to the 7970 ghz) a better trade off?

I play games like Crysis 3, looking forward to Battlefield 4 and I am currently heavily invested in Skyrim with boat loads of texture packs, lighting effects, enbs and so on.

If you have CFX'ed 7970 or the Ghz versions, how is it? Is it a pretty painless process? Or does it come with a heavy investment in setting things up? Would love some input!

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Can't give you any input since we only know (maybe) what the cooler of the 780 looks like.

I can tell you that currently 7 series CrossFire is pretty bad with stuttering and frametime performance. There is supposedly a fix coming sometime within the next few months... I'd hold off on buying a 2nd 7970 until then.

So put everything on hold for a couple months until there is some factual information out.

Unless you need to make a change now, I suggest we close this thread before it turns into a rampant speculative flame-fest!

Last edited:
Can't give you any input since we only know (maybe) what the cooler of the 780 looks like.

I can tell you that currently 7 series CrossFire is pretty bad with stuttering and frametime performance. There is supposedly a fix coming sometime within the next few months... I'd hold off on buying a 2nd 7970 until then.

So put everything on hold for a couple months until there is some factual information out.

Unless you need to make a change now, I suggest we close this thread.

Ah, okay. Yes, I was concerned about that, honestly. I will wait a few weeks (if you know what I mean) before making any moves.

Worst comes to worst, there's always the Southern Islands which I'm excited about.

Great, thanks for the pointers! Okay to close. =)

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
My pleasure icenote!

If anyone wants to discuss some of Nvidia's upcoming video cards, there are a few current threads about it in the news section.

Thank you! :toast:

Status
Not open for further replies.