• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

7980xe Delid

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Thanks to @Xx Tek Tip xX a few months ago for pointing me in the right direction. (I was originally going to do bare die but was advised instead to just to an IHS delid.

Its been a bit but finally got around to it.

Ambient Temp: 22ºC
CPU Clock: 4.5ghz all cores
Test: Intel XTU 15min stress test

CoreV: 1.250v
VCCIN: 2.1v
CPURingV: 1.3v

Machine went through 5min Intel XTU stress test to bring water and cpu temps up. Machine was then allowed to sit for 5min before starting 15min Intel XTU stress test.

Before Delid (Sustained Temps)

Max Temp: 90ºC
AVG Temp: 72ºC
Min Temp: 57ºC

To begin I needed to collect a few materials. First, I already had some conductonaut , Next I wanted to put some di-electric coating on the primary PCB substrate so that if the LM flowed or leaked I minimized my risk of toasting my chip. Next I wanted to make sure if I did mess up I could peel it off easily and that it would stick if I bonded it. The answer to that is gasket maker, worked for my valve cover, should work for an IHS. Lastly was heat.

Thankfully my CRC dielectric coat and gasket maker can take alot of heat so I was set. Finally I needed a delid kit. The fancy one was expensive and out of stock unless I wanted it shipped over the pond. Didnt really want to spend $100USD and didnt want to wait weeks. So I would up with a rockit 99 kit.

Thermal Grizzly
Rockit 99 x299 Delid Kit
Black RTV Gasket Maker
CRC dielectric waterproofer

Now lets get down to business. Here is the lineup of the tools we will be using.

1.JPG

Candid shot of my 7980xe in the delid tool getting ready for IHS removal

2.JPG

My Rickit99 Kit did not come with all of the needed thumb screws. Thankfully the manual turn down screws worked with the threading, though admittedly it did seem a little different. I honestly reccomend or rather, I pre-heated my CPU for around a min on max heat from my wifes hair dryer. Then I put the top on. I did this to minimize risk of the bonding agent cracking my substrate. I have never personally worked with the material so I was uncertain how easy it would be to give. This was just a safety measure. It should be noted that many have done this and not applied heat before hand.

3.JPG

Well we are separated now. No going back! It was easy but I was nervous the entire time. You have no idea if you have damaged it except physically. Until you are done. The clear takes 15min to dry to non-tack. The RTV takes an hour. so that 1:15min in just prep and ready time. The rest is fantastic manual labor. If you do not routinely physically "write" for a long period of time your hand is going to hurt.

Here we are right after IHS removal, prior to cleaning

4.JPG

The delid kit comes with a bamboo pick of sorts with a sharp tip and a sharp wide end. The substance that keeps the IHS on by stock is very similar to RTV but less rubbery. I would hazard at how very easy it was to "rub off" that it is silicon based, the compound is a bit sturdy however. In either case "scraping" the adhesive like substance off was time consuming bu not in itself difficult. The adhesive came off relatively easy with a little pressure on the tip part of the bamboo pick. The widepart came in handy for cleaning the inner corners of adhesive. If you are experienced or know how to use a chisel you already understand what I mean. It's hard to describe.

Below I have completed the initial scraping of the CPU PCB and I work on the IHS last.

5.JPG

After the scraping is done, I use 91% isopropyl to clean the rest of the adhesive off. The layers remaining at this point are so thin it is pretty effortless. It should be noted I had some microfiber lint free towels from Amazon, I used to "polish" the die and PCB after I was done, to get rid of residue and clean the qtip lint from the surfaces.

6.JPG

Now time to tape off the die and the secondary PCB. This is done to protect them from the urethane coating. I use normal electrical tape on secondary PCB and scotch tape on the die. I do this because scotch tape leaves less adhesive behind, wheras electrical is very tacky and leaves a heavy residue. I wanted to cut as much cleaning time in the final product as possible to minimize risk of removing the coating with solvents. I cover the secondary PCB because it is lower than the primary PCB and thus lower than the core. Because of this if the LM flows and drips it will drip onto a GPU or another part of the machine since it will be vertical.

I also coat the primary PCB step in general because that is where the majority of the contacts are. Finally, I dont do the secondary PCB as a whole because a little run on incase of a tape seal issue to the secondary PCB would not be a problem. However if I sprayed the secondary PCB and some ran under or hung off of the bottom of the CPU and pin array I would have a difficult time removing it.

7.JPG

12-15" from the CPU go ahead and put on a nice even light coat. I reccomend trying on something else to get used to your nozzle flow. In reality I dont need to teach you how to use aresol sprays, just try not to fuck this part up.

9.JPG

Now we have coated it. the Caps and contacts are covered and hopefully the tape holds. We let this bake in the sun on a table for 15-30min 15min you are fine but I had guests so I let it sit for 30. At which point it was not tacky or soft.

10.JPG

After drying its time to look it over for imperfections to determine if it needs a re-spray. Looks fine to me.

11.JPG

Now lets untape it and prepare the IHS for re-bond and LM application. You can see I am in the middle of it below.

13.JPG

Apply the LM to both sides and try to cover as much surface area as is applicable to your die size.

14.JPG

You can't see it in any pics because I didnt take them. But I referanced the IHS orientation VS the golden arrow on the CPU. This helped me make sure the orientation was correct for the IHS re-application. To do this I cut just the very tip of my RTV applicator off so I could produce a thin bead. I then only beaded the 4 wide primary inner IHS corners. This will seal it enough to allow for easy future removal. RTV gasket maker also isnt mega strong like super glue. their is no risk of ripping PCB layers off when you need to re-work.

Time to let it set

15.JPG

Now that we are all together. I applied LM to the water block and top of the IHS. This means I have LM between IHS and block and IHS and raw die. besides lapping, this is as good as its going to get.

Test results after are as follows. Using the same ambient and thermal staging done prior

After Delid (Sustained Temps)

Max Temp: 77ºC
AVG Temp: 62ºC
Min Temp: 49ºC

Differences before and after

Max Temp: 13ºC
AVG Temp: 10ºC
Min Temp: 8ºC

Overall I am super pleased! What a great drop in temps!

Last edited:

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
If I can ever get the cash together for one of these CPUs, I will already get it de-lidded and lapped (or with a new lapped IHS with it) I don't think I'd want to do it myself with £2000 of CPU! lol

The benefits are brilliant in some cases, seeing Jayztwocents do the same to his and lap it (if I recall he lapped his first, before he delidded it tho...) there's big benefits with doing either, but combined there doesn't seem to be a massive decrease as doing one or the other...

Thanks for sharing your results :)

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
If I can ever get the cash together for one of these CPUs, I will already get it de-lidded and lapped (or with a new lapped IHS with it) I don't think I'd want to do it myself with £2000 of CPU! lol

The benefits are brilliant in some cases, seeing Jayztwocents do the same to his and lap it (if I recall he lapped his first, before he delidded it tho...) there's big benefits with doing either, but combined there doesn't seem to be a massive decrease as doing one or the other...

Thanks for sharing your results :)

No problem it was fun to write!

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Shoulda lapped that lid when you had it off...

Meh I was going to replace the IHS in total with a higher area replacement and lap that to leave the original intact. But I won’t be doing that until I get the block for my gpu. Because at the same time I’m going to be applying fujipoly to my mobo and breaking down and expanding my loop.

All part of a grander plan. Just not today.

Last edited:
Processor Intel Core i9 10980XE @ 4.7Ghz 1.2v
Motherboard ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
Cooling EK-Velocity D-RGB, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX240 Ultrathin, EK X-RES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3000C14D 64GB
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC WC
Storage M.2 990 Pro 1TB / 10TB WD RED Helium / 3x 860 2TB Evos
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7 28"
Case Corsair Obsidian 500D SE Modded
Power Supply Cooler Master V Series 1300W
Software Windows 11
I did my 7900x before i even installed it lol, its really a must with these chips.

Just don't forget a lot of EK monoblock wont cool your CPU as well anymore due to the die being flat on the IHS.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
I did my 7900x before i even installed it lol, its really a must with these chips.

Just don't forget a lot of EK monoblock wont cool your CPU as well anymore due to the die being flat on the IHS.

She’s doin fine for now.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Thanks for posting, but can I ask you (as a 7980XE user as well), why do you use 2.1V for VCCIN and not the just the stock 1.8V?

My own chip clocks well, but like yours, runs in the 90's under full load. Fortunately I seldom have the chip loaded that much, so I don't see a need to delid for my own uses just yet, although the drop in temps would make for less fan noise and I could use that for sure. :p

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
I saw similar drops on my 4790K's doing the same thing with CLU. I also only used some of the wife's finger nail clear coat to protect the caps on the PCB surface...and I had a much smaller die to deal with.

Nicely done Sol, loved the pics and post. Great results too! :toast:

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Thanks for posting, but can I ask you (as a 7980XE user as well), why do you use 2.1V for VCCIN and not the just the stock 1.8V?

My own chip clocks well, but like yours, runs in the 90's under full load. Fortunately I seldom have the chip loaded that much, so I don't see a need to delid for my own uses just yet, although the drop in temps would make for less fan noise and I could use that for sure. :p
I have troubles getting stable at higher clocks without it. I put the blame on my power delivery system but alas this board is white.

I saw similar drops on my 4790K's doing the same thing with CLU. I also only used some of the wife's finger nail clear coat to protect the caps on the PCB surface...and I had a much smaller die to deal with.

Nicely done Sol, loved the pics and post. Great results too! :toast:

Thank you!

Cooling EK-Velocity D-RGB, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX240 Ultrathin, EK X-RES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM
Software Windows 11
2.1 on the VCCIN is very extreme 1.9 is what you should be working with then fine tune your LLC, or your at risk of voltage spikes which could fry you CPU.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
2.1 on the VCCIN is very extreme 1.9 is what you should be working with then fine tune your LLC, or your at risk of voltage spikes which could fry you CPU.

Thankfully the thread was about my delid project and not my overclocking endeavors, or why I chose the settings I did. Only that they were the same for both tests. So no harm there.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Any ASRock X299 board does 2.1V by default when you OC, so I wouldn't call it that extreme, really.

Thankfully the thread was about my delid project and not my overclocking endeavors, or why I chose the settings I did. Only that they were the same for both tests. So no harm there.

Right, but the fact you mentioned it in the OP says that you know it's relevant to the overall system and how it reacts to the TIM change. Or whatever. :p

I'm considering lopping the top off my 7900X and this thread helps convince me a little bit more. Once again, thanks (both for the thread and that little bit of info I asked about). ;)

:toast:

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
You delid a 7980xe? You sir have enormous balls.

What's with the weird stacked PCB?

Low quality post by kastriot
System Name My PC
Processor 4670K@4.4GHz
Motherboard Gryphon Z87
Cooling CM 212
Memory 2x8GB+2x4GB @2400GHz
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition 1425MHz OC+, 8GB
Storage Intel 530 SSD 480GB + Intel 510 SSD 120GB + 2x500GB hdd raid 1
Display(s) HP envy 32 1440p
Case CM Mastercase 5
Audio Device(s) Sbz ZXR
Power Supply Antec 620W
Mouse G502
Keyboard G910
Software Win 10 pro
Deliding=Intel epic fail

cadaveca

My name is Dave
What's with the weird stacked PCB?
This platform supports two completely different CPU designs; the HEDT quad-channel multi-threaded Skylake-X chips, as well as the 4-core MSDT Skylake CPUs doing dual-channel. That middle PCB makes all of that possible (although there are some issues with its implementation as well).

The actual engineering brilliance of what it took to be able to do this is something greatly glossed over in this platform, because too many reviewers feel the dual-channel chips do not fit the market, especially considering the rest of Intel's product line-up.

System Name Dell Vostro 5630 | PHaS3-XXI
Processor Intel Core i7 1360P | AMD Ryzen 7 5700X PBO
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming
Cooling Corsair H105 (AM4 Retention yay!)
Memory 16GB Quad Channel LPDDR5 4800 | Crucial 64GB DDR4 Pro 3200 C16
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 2050 | Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 Stock Cooler @ XT BIOS
Storage Kioxia 512GB NVMe |Crucial MX200 SSD + Samsung 980 1TB + 870QVO 1TB + 12TB HDDs
Display(s) Dell Laptop Display 1920x1200 | Dell UltraSharp U2719D
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Mouse Logitech G403 | Logitech G Pro
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores @_@
Great read and great job. The stock TIM looks so thin lol. Glad you've got such an improvement.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11

HammerON

The Watchful Moderator
Staff member
System Name Threadripper
Processor 3960X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix TRX40-XE
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Neo (sTR4) Water Block
Memory G. Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB 3600
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4090
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB + WD Black SN850 1TB
Display(s) Dell 32" Curved Gaming Monitor (S3220DGF)
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Always changing~
You have peaked my interest...
Not sure if I can muster the courage:)
Nicely done and thanks for the step-by-step description and pics:toast::respect:

Hello! Great to see a other 7980 XE member!
Did you try to bring your vcore lower? My 7980 XE is useing 1.192 for 4.4ghz. Dont know about 4.5 for 24/7. Atm Im only Do 4.4 Daily and 4.85 for benchmark

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Hello! Great to see a other 7980 XE member!
Did you try to bring your vcore lower? My 7980 XE is useing 1.192 for 4.4ghz. Dont know about 4.5 for 24/7. Atm Im only Do 4.4 Daily and 4.85 for benchmark

hm, I havent tried lower, I run 4.5 24/7 did you find dropping the vcore low at -100mhz to be more beneficial? and 4.85? congrats!!! Would you be willing to share some settings?! Are you managing that under water?

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
This is awesome... Seems like the 9900x refreshes with the stim are worse in terms of temps and overclocks than the delidded 1st gen skylake x's

I have mine delidded but im about to go bare die with a 280 rad... gonna try to enable HT at 5ghz on the 7820x.

Intel should really just sell a bare die chip with a die guard lol. Seems like TIMs are not their thing.

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
Max Temp: 77ºC
AVG Temp: 62ºC
Min Temp: 49ºC

Differences before and after

Max Temp: 13ºC
AVG Temp: 10ºC
Min Temp: 8ºC
really?, i never think the drop that much
you don't change anything just delid and new paste

Software Windows 11
I just ordered a Copper IHS due to reading this "Exact outline of stock IHS but slightly taller to compensate for less adhesive" it will be interesting to see if it helps my temp with my monoblock.