• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

7980XE delidded temps whats normal?

Nether it was due to the surface of the die mate, I ended up sanding it down as you can see my temps here under 4.5Ghz 1.2v load.

LM doesn't last forever to keep good temps you need to redo it as it will die out on your die when it starts to pit it, normally the 2nd time around will last longer because of the infused LM on the die, I ran my OC for a good 12hour stress test even know my CPU can do 4.8Ghz 1.26V its not stable for my work load.

How much did you lap off of the die? Do you think
you just had a wonky die surface?

I have considered lapping my own die for much lower temps, but it worries me. I’ve seen people have the LM kill the CPU due to not having a protective coating and damages the CPU by seeping to far in to the die.

I think I got pretty lucky with my CPU die, and IHS. It is pretty flat I think. The IHS doesn’t spin like a top on a flat surface. And even before the delid my core to core temps were within 5-9C.

When I first installed my CPU, the core to core temps were about 15-20C apart. I rotated my AIO block 90 degrees, repasted, and reinstalled and it was with 5-10C. And it has been like this ever since even with numerous reinstalls of my processor.

Processor Intel Core i9 10980XE @ 4.7Ghz 1.2v
Motherboard ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
Cooling EK-Velocity D-RGB, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX240 Ultrathin, EK X-RES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3000C14D 64GB
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC WC
Storage M.2 990 Pro 1TB / 10TB WD RED Helium / 3x 860 2TB Evos
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7 28"
Case Corsair Obsidian 500D SE Modded
Power Supply Cooler Master V Series 1300W
Software Windows 11
How much did you lap off of the die? Do you think
you just had a wonky die surface?

I have considered lapping my own die for much lower temps, but it worries me. I’ve seen people have the LM kill the CPU due to not having a protective coating and damages the CPU by seeping to far in to the die.

I think I got pretty lucky with my CPU die, and IHS. It is pretty flat I think. The IHS doesn’t spin like a top on a flat surface. And even before the delid my core to core temps were within 5-9C.

When I first installed my CPU, the core to core temps were about 15-20C apart. I rotated my AIO block 90 degrees, repasted, and reinstalled and it was with 5-10C. And it has been like this ever since even with numerous reinstalls of my processor.

I lapped it until it was flat and my die was very uneven and sanding it took a hour or so, as for LM seeping into the die it is possible but not likely the protective coating doesn't stop LM pitting the die, once the LM has formed a coat ontop of the silicon the pitting will stop ether way.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
I lapped it until it was flat and my die was very uneven and sanding it took a hour or so, as for LM seeping into the die it is possible but not likely the protective coating doesn't stop LM pitting the die, once the LM has formed a coat ontop of the silicon the pitting will stop ether way.
in theory you've sanded that off.

Sanding bare die is incredible risky.

I think he had to.His CPU has some seriously wonky core to core temperatures. He has no
choice. If he did it right, it’ll last for years and years. He’s already been running this CPU for a few years anyways right?

Processor Intel Core i9 10980XE @ 4.7Ghz 1.2v
Motherboard ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
Cooling EK-Velocity D-RGB, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX240 Ultrathin, EK X-RES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3000C14D 64GB
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC WC
Storage M.2 990 Pro 1TB / 10TB WD RED Helium / 3x 860 2TB Evos
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7 28"
Case Corsair Obsidian 500D SE Modded
Power Supply Cooler Master V Series 1300W
Software Windows 11

LM eats the protective layer over time so really the risk isn't that huge and the silicon thinkness is enough, I got the CPU for half price 2 years ago now so the risk was worth it for me,

System Name MSI GP76
Processor intel i7 11800h
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Memory 32gb of 3000mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3070
Storage x2 PNY 8tb cs2130 m.2 SSD--16tb of space
Display(s) 17.3" IPS 1920x1080 240Hz
Power Supply 280w laptop power supply
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Software lots of movies and Windows 10 with win 7 shell
Benchmark Scores Good enough for me
Nether it was due to the surface of the die mate, I ended up sanding it down as you can see my temps here under 4.5Ghz 1.2v load.

LM doesn't last forever to keep good temps you need to redo it as it will die out on your die when it starts to pit it, normally the 2nd time around will last longer because of the infused LM on the die, I ran my OC for a good 12hour stress test even know my CPU can do 4.8Ghz 1.26V its not stable for my work load.
I ran an i7 920xm ES, a laptop processor with cool lab liquid metal for over a year and it didn't dry up. I had the same results with a i7 2920xm, another laptop processor for around 10 months, still didn't dry up.
I changed the thermal paste because the next owner didn't want liquid metal applied. People at another forum had liquid metal for over 2 years, it didn't dry up.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
I ran an i7 920xm ES, a laptop processor with cool lab liquid metal for over a year and it didn't dry up. I had the same results with a i7 2920xm, another laptop processor for around 10 months, still didn't dry up.
I changed the thermal paste because the next owner didn't want liquid metal applied. People at another forum had liquid metal for over 2 years, it didn't dry up.

This. Mine is still fine.

I had temperature degradation on my 7980XE. The temps went up about 6-7C on each core. And 4.8Ghz at 1.270V was no longer a viable option, due to the additional heat making it unstable.

I delidded the CPU again, reapplied LM allowed it to soak really well, and now my temps are better than ever.

I am running my new memory kit now.

G.Skill DDR4 4000 CL15 quad channel set.

I run 4,000Mhz at CL14-15-15 1T.

Why debate over tight timmings or high speed, when you can have both!

Anyways, the X299 platform and 7980XE is really a interesting processor. This 3+ year old CPU is really in its prime right now in the later part of 2020. Because high core count CPU’s are become more mainstream. it just makes this processor better with age! It is faster than a overclocked 3950X, and just about anything else too. Time has served this processor better than most!

Last edited: