• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

7th Gen Core "Kaby Lake" Won't Work on 300-series Chipset Motherboards

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
Failing on GPU check sounds like they had to change something to make UHD/4K output work properly. This is the new feature on the UHD Graphics bits.
The integrated GPU is IDENTICAL in Kaby Lake and Coffe Lake.

The thing is that Intel board probably have a fight about how they would market the Coffee Lake CPUs. Throwing 6 cores on a mid range platform and latter 8 cores, letting also consumers make their choices freely, probably made many in the board unhappy and probably they where stressing that many who would buy a 6 or 8 core processor, would not upgrade again for 5 years or more. That means a beautiful, financially, 2017 and disastrous financial years to follow.

So what do you do? Considering that motherboards are what usually fails after some time, or what usually updates with more features today, they decided to implement various platform locks that will force people to upgrade the whole cpu+motherboard package, not just one of those. You have a Kaby Lake i7 and your motherboard fails? What do you do? Buy a 370 motherboard and use your Kaby? Buy an old 270 and use your Kaby? I think the temptation of selling your Kaby and going for a 6core/8core Coffee will be high. With Intel denying you the first option and the second option looking like "one of the same", you force yourself with the only "logical" option. A new CPU and motherboard. The same if your Kaby CPU fails. Would you really go out and buy a new Kaby i7? I think not. Buy a new Coffee Lake i5 or i7 and put it on your perfectly functional 270 motherboard? Sorry, Intel says no. In the end it is a "win win" situation for Intel, considering that the majority of consumers will find just any existing or non existing, logical or not logical excuse, to choose Intel over AMD.

Last edited:

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 OC 4 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 19.04 LTS
We would be hearing the exact same complaints if there was a new socket incompatible with older processors. Every 2 generations, Intel makes the socket electrically incompatible with older CPU; that's nothing new. This time, they just aren't changing the number of pins, but that hardly makes a difference.

The number of pins on a socket has nothing to do with electrical compatibility. It's expensive to create a new socket just to have one more or less pin. I can't imagine how much money is saved by the motherboard makers and Intel by only having to stock one type of socket as opposed to having to convert production processes to use another. AMD did the same thing by using the same socket for Threadripper and EPYC.

And having chipsets that don't support older CPUs despite having the same socket is nothing new. Many LGA775 Core 2 motherboards did not support older Pentium 4s in the same socket. Even 15 years ago, socket 478 boards dropped support for earlier FSB400 CPUs despite using the same socket.

And how much difference do you think there is between creating a "still 1151 socket but electricaly different" and a "one more 'dummy' pin then the old 1151 socket"? Don't both cases require a new socket anyway?

Last edited:
So intelligent that you decided, for some reason, that intel WOULDNT change sockets after 2 CPUs, like they have been doing since 2009? :laugh:

You also thought that coffee lake would be such a major improvement, unlike ivy bridge, haswell, broadwell, skylake, and kaby lake, that you bought a tin-plated pentium to go with this $1500 machine rather then just buying the good chip now :roll:

And, despite thinking AMD's newest platform is great, you bought an intel platform anyway, then complain when intel bends you over the barrel?o_O:slap:

Yeah, good job there bud. Intel doesn't give 2 #$%$s! because consumers like you will blindly buy their stuff.

Just thought this 'ol elephant would drop back into say:

I told you so.

Mocking people is rarely a good idea. It might come back. Some call it karma. Others just hate it when others are right.

Intelligent enough to get by and eventually be right, it seems. Even as predicted. Remember, I upgraded from - I don't recall - to the best at the time, hoping I could maybe get an i7, if or when something could compete with the i7-7700k. I am back at tertiary studies and don't have excess cash. Necessity is the mother of invention.

I am now deciding which LP 4-core Coffee Lake I will install on my Asrock Z270 Fatality ITX. From a Pentium 4560.

Peace. *Elephant call*

Edit: So emote. Grammar etc.

https://www.techpowerup.com/242073/...-work-stable-on-intel-100-200-series-chipsets

Last edited:
Lol did that get reported....? Spare me.

Edit: Yup. It did. Seems it was not reportable.

Last edited: