• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

8+4pin or 4+4pin for Ryzen 9 3950X (16-core)?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
FTR, I'm okay with the top tier Rosewills. Many have received excellent reviews and have proven to be very reliable. But like Corsair and perhaps just about any other brand (and product), I recommend avoiding their entry level models - especially when it comes to power supplies.

As I said Bill, check the OEM, I certainly do with Corsair too.

FTR, I'm okay with the top tier Rosewills. Many have received excellent reviews and have proven to be very reliable. But like Corsair and perhaps just about any other brand (and product), I recommend avoiding their entry level models - especially when it comes to power supplies.

evga or corsair entry level psus are cancer. People should never cheap out on psus, any 10 years warranty psus is good, they will not give 10 years warranty for crap psus. Remember that ripple kill all your components, ram cpu, gpu and so on with time. People can cheap out on everything except psu. Also always ask the psu of a person if you buy second hand products. If they have run them on crap psus then stay away from it.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
More true today than it was a while back, today it's about 4% difference, even with the higher up seasonics.

A PSU is typically not constant 90% ( or what ever ) though different loads, as i said above it's about 4% it seems these days with the seasonics i just looked at.

Processor Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X670E-F Gaming WiFi
Memory F5-6000J3038F16GX2-FX5
So with an RM850x (CP-9020180) I'll lose nothing in terms of "electrical" and protection quality comparing to let's say an RM850i, SSR-850FX or Straight Power 11 850W?

Now let's compare the new RM850x and the old RM850i:
- Adjustable Single/Multi 12V Rail --- No (RMx), Yes (RMi)
- Fan bearing technology --- Rifle Bearing (RMx), Fluid Dynamic Bearing (RMi)
- iCUE Compatibility --- No (RMx), Yes (RMi)
- Cable Type --- Low-Profile (RMx), Sleeved and Flat (Tom's Hardware specifies "In-cable capacitors" as what's negative about new RMx)
Please comment on all of this - what do I lose not having each of what an RMi has?

Can one turn off that passive mode when the PSU doesn't use it's active air cooling at all? I mean, it heats and I don't want that, the heat kills hardware.

And rifle bearing fan lives noticeably less than fluid dynamic bearing fan. What, should I buy whatever cheap PSU and wait till Corsair updates RMi?..

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
This is down into the minutia my man...

A PSU is important, but some of these fine details are things you need to figure out and decide for yourself if it is a feature you need or can't get by without.

So with an RM850x (CP-9020180) I'll lose nothing in terms of "electrical" and protection quality comparing to let's say an RM850i, SSR-850FX or Straight Power 11 850W?

Now let's compare the new RM850x and the old RM850i:
- Adjustable Single/Multi 12V Rail --- No (RMx), Yes (RMi)
- Fan bearing technology --- Rifle Bearing (RMx), Fluid Dynamic Bearing (RMi)
- iCUE Compatibility --- No (RMx), Yes (RMi)
- Cable Type --- Low-Profile (RMx), Sleeved and Flat (Tom's Hardware specifies "In-cable capacitors" as what's negative about new RMx)
Please comment on all of this - what do I lose not having each of what an RMi has?

Can one turn off that passive mode when the PSU doesn't use it's active air cooling at all? I mean, it heats and I don't want that, the heat kills hardware.

And rifle bearing fan lives noticeably less than fluid dynamic bearing fan. What, should I buy whatever cheap PSU and wait till Corsair updates RMi?..

Adjustable Single/Multi 12V Rail --- No (RMx), Yes (RMi) -- single is better than multi, ability to switch as multi could be better in some types of workloads, devices you will use, usually server/device oriented

Fan bearing technology --- Rifle Bearing (RMx), Fluid Dynamic Bearing (RMi) -- that is kind personal, Fluid Dynamic Bearing is better but it depends of the ambient temperature, also pay attention that corsair has been putting Fluid Dynamic Bearing in the rmx series. https://computerwolf.co.uk/products...ully-modular-80-gold-1?variant=25996778242112

- iCUE Compatibility --- No (RMx), Yes (RMi) - that is reserved only for the rmi series cause the "i" implies digital link, so this will never be on the rmx series. Software controlled psu features. This is cool cause you can see efficiency and other things, no real meaning other than that, digital terminology.

- Cable Type --- Low-Profile (RMx), Sleeved and Flat (Tom's Hardware specifies "In-cable capacitors" as what's negative about new RMx) - some people prefer with, some without, it comes down to filter ripple, I myself prefer with it but nothing wrong without it as some units have already inside filters for ripple good enough.

I would go for the rmx, is cheaper and efficiency is only less than 0.1% than the rmi. For reference below, Corsair rm1000x 91.037% x rm1000i = 91.192%.

I hope it helped you.

Last edited:
System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
A PSU is typically not constant 90% ( or what ever ) though different loads, as i said above it's about 4%
I don't know what you are saying there. If you are suggesting a 4% variance in efficiency from a minimum load to a maximum load is not constant (for example, it varies from 86% to 90%), then that is simply not true. A 4% variance with that spread would be considered extremely consistent and exceptionally well managed. And for that matter, even that low of 86% efficiency would be considered excellent.

Power supplies are generally the most or one of the most inefficient electronic devices found in consumer electronics. It takes a lot of energy to convert AC to DC. A typical PSU that does not meet 80 PLUS standards is lucky to obtain 70% efficiency, at best, and that is only at its peak efficiency point (the top of the bell curve) with efficiencies dropping precipitously on either side of that.

Bottom line is any PSU that can obtain and maintain >80% ±4% efficiency across its entire range of expected loads would be considered to be extremely consistent. If it also maintained output voltage regulation to within ±5%, holdup time >16ms, and ripple suppression below 30mv p-p, it would be considered an excellent PSU overall. And if it was abke to maintain >90% ±4% efficiency across its entire range of expected loads, along with those other specs, while inside a ≥45°C hot box, it would be considered an outstanding PSU. Add a ≥10 year warranty, quiet fan, reasonable price and I'll buy it in a heartbeat.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
A PSU is typically not constant 90% ( or what ever ) though different loads, as i said above it's about 4% it seems these days with the seasonics i just looked at.
Most are that way, correct. Where they tend to be less efficient is at idle where only the Titanium cert applies a tier at 10% in addition to the 20/50/100% on the other tiers. But overall we can see just by the 80 Plus tier ratings, that PSU are EXPECTED to be within 3% from 20% to 100%... so its pretty common, that consistency, on 80 Plus B/S/G/T units. Titanium gives a 4% range... more than the lesser tiers.

I agree that 3-4% is normal. Any PSU with an 80 Plus B/S/G/T rating achieves this.

Last edited:
System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Titanium gives a 4% range... more than the lesser tiers.
More than lessor models, true. But as you noted, that is over a wider range. But not only that, Titanium requires the supply be 94% efficient at 50%, 2 points better efficiency than the next cert down, Platinum. And 4 points better than Gold. And Titanium's worse spec (90% at 10% and 100% loads) equals Gold's best spec requirement. So looking at the 80 PLUS requirements in their entirety, that 4% spread for Titanium is considerably better than the 3% spread of the lessor models.

The question becomes, is the extra costs of a Titanium worth it? Probably not as it would take years to make up the extra cost in energy savings. So I'll stick with Gold - unless Newegg/Amazon or EVGA or Seasonic (my preferred PSU makers) makes me an offer on a Titanium (or Platinum) I can't refuse.