1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

8800gts died---seems to not enable itself

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by exodusprime1337, Dec 13, 2008.

1. exodusprime1337

exodusprime1337

Thanks Received:
    so took out my cards and did it carefully to do some cleaning and a reinstall of windows and when i was done i noticed i didn't have an sli setting in the nv control panel. so i perused over to the device manager and there is only 1 8800gts 512 showing. so i shut down and pull out the top card and put in the other card and nothing the fan spins but the card stays cool all over as if it's not enabling itself.... i submitted an rma but i'm still confused, what's the deal with that... i work on a wood floor i don't touch the pcb if i can avoid it, all i did was take it out and put it on the table then put it back in..... anybody had this happen, is it something with the video card that can be circumvented to get the card going again??

2. Athlon2K15

Athlon2K15 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    all i can say is clean up the contacts real good with alcohol and try to reseat it in the slot

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. exodusprime1337

exodusprime1337

Thanks Received:
    i tried, that, i was gonna dip it in 91% rubbing alchohol to really clean it off but i need the sticker to still be on there if i have to rma it lol

4. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Doesnt matter if your on wood, your better off being on a Metal floor without shoes on for grounding cause yes ESD does go thru insulators.

make sure the SLI bridge is clean aswell

5. exodusprime1337

exodusprime1337

Thanks Received:
    yeah i've tried it without the sli bridge and all by itself... it so wierd my other 8800 gts has been through hell and this one has always been as is, never took of the cooler or modded it in any way. it's too bad i can't find anything wrong with tit, just won't work, it beeps when the plug isn't in and the fan comes on but the thing just won't give a display.

6. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Hey you never now what could have happened.

Maybe a droplet of water or a tiny tiny metal shard from who knows where a mile away made its way there and caused a short.

Point is these things are really fragile and in my opinion its sheer luck whenever someone pulls out a piece of hardware and doesn't damage it. Thing is most people are lucky lol.

7. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    could be shorting on the case, could possibly be a seating problem, make sure the entire cards edge is all the way down in the motherboard, if you have to take the motherboard out of the case and put it on a non conductive surface that is raised so you can put your cards in and see if it boots, otherwise the card is shot or even the power lead from the PSU could be probable but not likely

8. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Well just to be sure its the GPU, try a diff PSU for kicks.