• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

9.04 is freaking fast!

fashioso

I like the jaunty version a lot! even i think that an ubuntu loaded pc can be used for basic work, its loaded with almost everything someone could want at a company except by those internal applications company's uses.

my boot times on an athlon x2 5200 are about 20 seconds probably a little bit less and i got an old P4 2.66 (socket 478) and it boots in 35 seconds and runs great too.

System Name Unobtainium
Processor 3600X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DH15 Chromax Black
Memory 32GB Ripjaws 3200MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080 Ti FTW Ultra w/ Alphacool Eiswolf
Storage 500GB SN750 | 3.84TB Micron 7450| 4TB SP XS70
Display(s) Asus 144Hz display + LG Ultrafine 4k
Case Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Schiit Hel + AKG Q701s
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS PX-750
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Filco Majestouch II
Software Windows 11
Express gate is on the mobo itself. It will have no effect on dual booting.

Processor 5800x(2)/5700g/5600x/5600g/2700x/1700x/1700
Motherboard MSI B550 Carbon (2)/ MSI z490 Unify/Asus Strix B550-F/MSI B450 Tomahawk (3)
Cooling EK AIO 360 (2)/EK AIO 240, Arctic Cooling Freezer II 280/EVGA CLC 280/Noctua D15/Cryorig M9(2)
Memory 32 GB Ballistix Elite/32 GB TridentZ/16GB Mushkin Redline Black/16 GB Dominator
Video Card(s) Asus Strix RTX3060/EVGA 970(2)/Asus 750 ti/Old Quadros
Storage Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB/WD Black M.2 NVMe 500GB/Adata 500gb NVMe
Display(s) Acer 1080p 22"/ (3) Samsung 22" 1080p
Case (2) Lian Li Lancool II Mesh/Corsair 4000D /Phanteks Eclipse 500a/Be Quiet Pure Base 500/Bones of HAF
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 850G(2)/EVGA Supernova GT 650w/Phantek Amps 750w/Seasonic Focus 750w
Mouse Generic Black wireless (5)
Keyboard Generic Black wireless (5)
Software Win 10/Ubuntu
I really wish my USB wireless adapters had Linux support. If they did, I'd be running Ubuntu on at least 1-2 of my rigs.

System Name Build 1
Processor i5 2500k
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Cooler Master 212
Memory Corsair DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX750
Software Windows 7 Professional
I really wish my USB wireless adapters had Linux support. If they did, I'd be running Ubuntu on at least 1-2 of my rigs.

I've never had good luck with any usb adapter even on windows lol, maybe its just my luck :mad:

System Name Unobtainium
Processor 3600X
Case Evolv X
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Software Windows 11
>.> Who knows. I haven't had any problem with linksys ones on linux

K

kyle2020

I am seriously debating installing this as my Main OS and using that Crossover Games thing, will be a nice change.

My question is, if I format my main OS partition (50GB) and install 9.04 to it, will I be able to use this Crossover program to play games already installed on my hard drive? what about programs?

System Name Unobtainium
Processor 3600X
Case Evolv X
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Software Windows 11
Nope. You got to install them through CO. Also, it depends on the programs. Not all games and programs work through crossover. I would recommend dual booting your PC with linux and windows on it if you are going to be playing games. Games running under a windows compatability layer or emulator do not run that well. Go and see if your games work on cross over before installing them because you may be disappointed. And FYI, crysis will not work.

K

kyle2020

I have never been able to get windows and linux to dual boot in harmony - can anyone point me to a guide? Ive always installed linux, gone to restart and had no option to go into ubuntu :confused:

Do I have to install linux to the partition my Windows install is on?

System Name Unobtainium
Processor 3600X
Case Evolv X
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Software Windows 11
<.< It is easy. You go and use the disk manager in vista to shrink your C drive, then use the linux partition during the install to select the free space and turn it into a partition, format it, and have mounted as / (very easy, just use the manual setting when the partitioner comes up).

To get the shrink volume in vista you go do this
Right click on Computer and select managa

Go to disk manager

Manage

select your drive and shrink it (in MB) by 50 or GB :D then click okay and shrink it.

Next boot into ubuntu or whatnot and install

Here is a wonderful guide:

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_linux_vista_installed_first.htm

Ubuntu will go and automatically put your windows onto grub and you will be able to dual boot. USE 9.04! It is really easy.

K

kyle2020

Never been able to shrink my C: drive before, but it seems I can now, thanks for that :laugh:

BRB KIDS! (Yes, using 9.04, 64 bit)

System Name Unobtainium
Processor 3600X
Case Evolv X
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Software Windows 11
<.< Oh if you want to, use 32-bit since it is easier to use and you able to set it up easier :D

Processor Intel Core i5 3570K
Motherboard MSI H61m-P31/w8
Cooling Stock
Memory 2*8GB DDR3
Video Card(s) XFX HD7850
Case Coolermaster Elite 330
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD audio
Power Supply Corsair RM650
Software Windows 10
I'm running Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.04 and BLOODY HELL, I love it.
I'm considering having another play with linux on the desktop, 3 days after my last attempt on there the hard disk died on me...
My boot times are somewhere between 10 and 20 seconds on my netbook as well, waaay faster than XP.
It's fixed my mobile broadband modem working, works from within ubuntu :D

System Name Unobtainium
Processor 3600X
Case Evolv X
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Software Windows 11
Ubuntu = WIN!

K

kyle2020

If I get a laptop for college then ill deffinately be putting 9.04 on it, ran it off the disc yesterday and it was very snappy - the resource usage shocked me though - with firefox open with 3 tabs and with a changed desktop wallpaper, it was using just 11% of my ram :eek:

Thats what, 400mb of ram - im running IE8 and steam right now on Win7 and my ram usage is 1.36GB. Very impressive I must say :toast:

System Name Unobtainium
Processor 3600X
Case Evolv X
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Software Windows 11
They have streamlined 9.04 since 8.10. It has about 10-15% better resource management and is about 50% faster :D <.< Also, lets not forget that it is linux. But if you are going to college, I recommend you dual booting (which is really easy, just backup your stiff before you do anything), that way you can use windows when need be and have Ubuntu for everything else :D

Oh, by the way, 9.04 can be made even faster with a few tweaks :D I say around 5-10% if you do them, but I am not telling. It will be a little project for you.

Cooling Stock
Memory 2*8GB DDR3
Video Card(s) XFX HD7850
Software Windows 10
Tell the ubuntu newbs please...
Seriously, it's lightning fast anyway but if I can make it faster I'll go for it.

System Name Unobtainium
Processor 3600X
Case Evolv X
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Software Windows 11

Rajesh_Pandey

I must agree with OmegaAI here. With Jaunty, the whole of Ubuntu has changed and it has changed for good. Not only JJ is fast, its Mountain Stable and everything just works and the options are preesnt where they SHOULD be. Must say, Canonical has done a good job this time

System Name Unobtainium
Processor 3600X
Case Evolv X
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Software Windows 11
Agreed. I love JJ and it is the best damn version of Linux there is (IMO). They should keep it like this and to tell you the truth, I think the ext4 FS has had a lot to do with it as well along with the fact JJ is not more streamlined that ever before.

D

Deleted member 67555

I've playing around with ubuntu since 7.04 and "IT is ready for main stream Internet pc's" or for music and photo's but it will never and i mean never out do Dx because of money nobody's gonna keep doing work pro bono when they can make a good living Working and not donating there time really!!! that's why windows will always have the cutting edge tech support where as ubuntu has to keep base with almost uterly useless pc's "Thus if you want to play too you want windows"
IF your smart you would game on your xbox and do everything else on your $120 ubuntu machine which is what makes ubuntu so nice!! you just don't need a beast it works very efficiently with older pc's p4 1.8ghz etc.. can do almost as much on ubuntu as you could with a phenom 9600 etc...The only problem is..We are all used to windows

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Unobtainium
Processor 3600X
Case Evolv X
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Software Windows 11
Agreed... but what you wrote is hard to flow. Can you please rewrite it? I am running Ubuntu on my current machine just because I want it on there. I love it and cannot get enough (though most of the time I an booted into windows because I benchmark and such). But when I boot into Ubuntu, I love it and like to keep it there for the "just in case" and when I want to download music and such (because I am paranoid about viruses). Also, once I learn about firewalls, I will be making on for it as well. I an a security freak and any time I need to go and run something (even folding) I freak out about being attacked or hacked. I have spent over 30 hours getting my PC just the way I like it and do not want to re do it.

<.< But then again, I do put all my drivers and other programs onto a DVD-RW and update it whenever needed. Otherwise, I would be 3 hours just getting everything back up/

D

Deleted member 67555

Sorry,i was Hi when i wrote that. I have been told several times it can be difficult to follow what I write.
Ubutnu is ready for mainstream PC use and has been for at least two years now. I have been using Kubuntu, which is Ubuntu with the KDE desktop. Kubuntu is a Windows type user friendly Ubuntu OS, Windows 7 is quite similar in looks to Kubuntu. I like Kubuntu because it seems to have an ease of use for media programs. Many people already use Linux programs everyday such as VLC media player,Gimp photo editor,FireFox internet browser,Limewire,Bit torrent.cCleaner etc... With that in mind I don't think that it would be a hard to switch for most people.
The problem with all Linux,Unix operating system's, is their inability to fully run Games!!! This has little to do with the file system,driver's or binary code, it has everything to do with Money!! Games often take cutting edge Pc technology to it's limits. Most Linux programs are developed by volunteers or through grant's, or even by donation's from people like you! In other words, would you have given Crytek a donation if they had came out and said "we are looking to develop a cutting edge gaming platform for Pc's that takes an extremely cutting edge pc to run" I don't think so.
I use Kubuntu on an external hard drive. I have never worried about getting a virus with any Linux Os, since I close the code myself. I would not be concerned about catching a virus with Kubuntu or Ubuntu unless you are online logged in as the Root user. I have on occasion had to reinstall because of broken dependencies that i could not track down, but never from a virus. I backup quite often with a flash drive,only personal files not programs as Kubuntu takes little time to get back up and running. I could very easily be running this system on a Linux operating system for the next ten years, as apposed to the next 4 years with microsoft, and that is the the problem. There would be no reason to develop better technology if you just kept improving the Os to do more with the same equipment.
And lets face it we are all used to Windows

System Name Unobtainium
Processor 3600X
Case Evolv X
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Software Windows 11
Sorry,i was Hi when i wrote that. I have been told several times it can be difficult to follow what I write.
Ubutnu is ready for mainstream PC use and has been for at least two years now. I have been using Kubuntu, which is Ubuntu with the KDE desktop. Kubuntu is a Windows type user friendly Ubuntu OS, Windows 7 is quite similar in looks to Kubuntu. I like Kubuntu because it seems to have an ease of use for media programs. Many people already use Linux programs everyday such as VLC media player,Gimp photo editor,FireFox internet browser,Limewire,Bit torrent.cCleaner etc... With that in mind I don't think that it would be a hard to switch for most people.
The problem with all Linux,Unix operating system's, is their inability to fully run Games!!! This has little to do with the file system,driver's or binary code, it has everything to do with Money!! Games often take cutting edge Pc technology to it's limits. Most Linux programs are developed by volunteers or through grant's, or even by donation's from people like you! In other words, would you have given Crytek a donation if they had came out and said "we are looking to develop a cutting edge gaming platform for Pc's that takes an extremely cutting edge pc to run" I don't think so.
I use Kubuntu on an external hard drive. I have never worried about getting a virus with any Linux Os, since I close the code myself. I would not be concerned about catching a virus with Kubuntu or Ubuntu unless you are online logged in as the Root user. I have on occasion had to reinstall because of broken dependencies that i could not track down, but never from a virus. I backup quite often with a flash drive,only personal files not programs as Kubuntu takes little time to get back up and running. I could very easily be running this system on a Linux operating system for the next ten years, as apposed to the next 4 years with microsoft, and that is the the problem. There would be no reason to develop better technology if you just kept improving the Os to do more with the same equipment.
And lets face it we are all used to Windows

Actually, your wrong on the mainstream part. It isn't as ready as it should be. It is getting there but it isn't quite yet. The main reason is drivers and sometimes you need to use the terminal (which I do not see why it is such a problem when you can just copy and paste). Other than that. I agree with you.

Cooling Stock
Memory 2*8GB DDR3
Video Card(s) XFX HD7850
Software Windows 10
Actually, your wrong on the mainstream part. It isn't as ready as it should be. It is getting there but it isn't quite yet. The main reason is drivers and sometimes you need to use the terminal (which I do not see why it is such a problem when you can just copy and paste). Other than that. I agree with you.
Thankyou for that, I didn't think to right check if right clicking and pasting worked in the terminal, I tried installing the medibuntu repository on my netbook last night by manually typing it all out, eventually i just gave up, took too damn long.

D

Deleted member 67555

I read the "Squigy how to ubuntu" of a thread once before i ever tried it out and that was the first advice he gave was copy and paste the phrase to your terminal.
However that is why there are different distro's, many of which is themed for the user(look up gos linux) many of these are just pre-fabed linux Os's that are ready for the mainstream with no need for any driver's since no extra hardware is needed.(the linux advantage)Take a AMD 780g motherboard and cheap cpu,a hard drive,dvd-rw,casew/psu and mix it with Ubuntu and use the driver's that come with it, and all you have to do is allow AMD driver's and go! all update's will que when available no other knowledge is required
Unless you want to play games like Crysis,Cod WaW
Then you need Windows
But if your going to play games like cake mania your fine-which, believe it or not Is "mainstream"

I know it's hard to believe,but it's true most of what someone like me and probably somebody like you does,is not mainstream!!! The average user does not care about whether or not they can get an extra 10% of power out of there computer, they just want it to come on when they hit the power button! The average user wants to go on Myspace and edit photo's of they're dogs. The average user wants to get mp3's or email there coworkers,they don't care about how they stole that copy of XMEN, they just want to be able to steal it that's all!!! And guess what it's so much easier to steal with Linux than it is with Windows...... So In my opinion it is ready for the mainstream they just don't know it yet.

If none of this makes sense, I'm sorry It's not me, it's the pot.....It makes me ramble on at times puff......hold.... cough! cough!!

Last edited by a moderator: